Lamborghini Talk banner
481 - 500 of 595 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
the new MAP sensors came, and I put them in. Even without the banks being fully balanced they made a significant different in ease of tuning - less hunting around.

There are three ways to set the lower butterflies
1) as posted by @mikael82 in the sticky thread, he sets the butterflys by temporarily using the long rods connected, and getting it to idle using the long rods to set the position of the butterfly’s. Then using the butter adjustment screws to set the position held by the long bars.
2) use a manometer and/or flow meter as suggested by @SPGlass
3) I used a thin 28ga wire as a feeler gauge to ensure the butterflys were in the same position. It took using a few thickness, to get the idle at 1000rpm with the butterflies closed. Steve @ Driven Exotics suggested this method.

From here, you balance the banks using just the air bypass screws so banks are balanced and RPM is within spec.

The one thing I noticed is that when I balanced the banks using an airflow meter and the manometer, the readings on the console were slightly off. And when i balanced teh banks using the console, the syncrometer and manometer reported an imbalance.

Bank 1-6 has an additional vacuum pull for the PCV operation, so I believe while the banks may be flowing the same amount of air/vacuum, there is a slight difference in manifold pressure. I am not sure about this, but i checked and double checked. I elected to sync to the console, as it ran slightly better that way, and the sensor is not reading airflow or vacuum, but air pressure.

In the video you can see the difference between the console and manometer (Just look at right two columns, the first two columns Are inactive)

Comments and thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
the new MAP sensors came, and I put them in. Even without the banks being fully balanced they made a significant different in ease of tuning - less hunting around.

There are three ways to set the lower butterflies
1) as posted by @mikael82 in the sticky thread, he sets the butterflys by temporarily using the long rods connected, and getting it to idle using the long rods to set the position of the butterfly’s. Then using the butter adjustment screws to set the position held by the long bars.
2) use a manometer and/or flow meter as suggested by @SPGlass
3) I used a thin 28ga wire as a feeler gauge to ensure the butterflys were in the same position. It took using a few thickness, to get the idle at 1000rpm with the butterflies closed. Steve @ Driven Exotics suggested this method.

From here, you balance the banks using just the air bypass screws so banks are balanced and RPM is within spec.

The one thing I noticed is that when I balanced the banks using an airflow meter and the manometer, the readings on the console were slightly off. And when i balanced teh banks using the console, the syncrometer and manometer reported an imbalance.

Bank 1-6 has an additional vacuum pull for the PCV operation, so I believe while the banks may be flowing the same amount of air/vacuum, there is a slight difference in manifold pressure. I am not sure about this, but i checked and double checked. I elected to sync to the console, as it ran slightly better that way, and the sensor is not reading airflow or vacuum, but air pressure.

In the video you can see the difference between the console and manometer (Just look at right two columns, the first two columns Are inactive)

Comments and thoughts are welcome.

How much does a Lamborghini Manometer cost?
Thanks!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I know its been posted, but i cant find it - can someone take a picture of the top of their OEM coolant expansion tank cap (early diablo)?

Febi 02359 1.2 bars ( same as the W124 Mercedes coolant cap but W124 is using 1.4bar ) . You can get it from eBay for around 10 USD .

I used to have 1.4bar on my car ( no issue ) recently the seal failed so I changed it to 1.2 bar as per the manual .

·
Registered
372 Posts
After 10 months since taking delivery, 195 rolls on its own power. I chased down the final 2-blink fault and replaced both O2 sensors. I still need to sync the long bars, but I am very close to doing donuts!

View attachment 315874
Congratulations !!

I hate to drive with blink fault codes too and it took me many months ( years) to trace down to clear all the fault codes .

Now I feel so happy every time when I start my car both CEL R & L appear and go off in split sec and don’t appear again .

·
Registered
91 Diablo
791 Posts
Congrats Geno! You’ve put a lot of love into that car already. It must be very satisfying. You are proving you are more than a worthy caretaker. I’m looking forward to hearing about your adventures behind the wheel.

I thought you had found a wing but don’t see it. Are you going to go wingless?

·
Registered
91 Diablo
791 Posts
how is italy Seth?

wing is getting painted as we speak, but i am also going to find a naked deck so i can switch back and forth.
Oh, that’s great. Good to be able to change the look up a bit. I’ve always preferred it with the wing even though it’s completely useless.

Italy has been great! Even the worst food we’ve had has been incredible! It’s been like sightseeing on the surface of the sun but no rain so I can’t complain really. Unfortunately no Lamborghini sightings. The family’s not interested in going to the right parts of Italy for that. 😕

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #499 ·
Interesting and random bit of early diablo history. The red 1991 on BAT MLA12204 has a very early receipt from the Lamborghini dealer, drilling holes in the intake plenum to cool the coils/amplifiers. This was obviously realized as a weak point in the Diablo very early on. This was done on both my Diablos, on MLA12173 it was sort of hogged out hole, whereas on MLA 12195 there are little holes.

Textile Material property Silver Wood Bumper

481 - 500 of 595 Posts