Lamborghini Talk banner
501 - 520 of 595 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #502 ·
I am starting to work away at the interior pieces.

The center piece that holds the radio/climate control etc has a speckled finish which I believe was unique to the early cars, but not on all the early cars. Its a rather unattractive and unpractical finish - sort of like salt mixed in with paint. I am trying to keep this car 100% original, so i am going to attempt to refinish it with the same texture. Any thoughts on how to do that are welcome.

Can someone with an early car send post pictures of this? and i would be interested in learning when Lamborghini transitioned to the smooth finish (92 cars?). The paint appears to be a flat black, any comments on that would be appreciated as well.

Lastly, i forget what originally goes in the hole at the bottom, my last Diablo had a small diode type light which never worked.....

Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Gas Flooring

Automotive tire Road surface Wood Rectangle Asphalt

Rectangle Wood Table Grey Floor

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #503 ·
Moderately embarrassing but informative moment. The original treatment was a rubberized finish that failed almost immediately, accelerated by sun exposure. That is what you are seeing in my pictures, an original finish that has failed. Most Diablos have had it refinished, or if you have the original rubberized paint your car is a garage queen. The correct finish is satin black trim.

Thank you Steve @ Driven Exotics who saved me from wasting time trying to refinish the wrong application!!

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,936 Posts
I did not reply earlier because your car is an early car but your post makes sense even for my 97. Mine was also satin black but had turned gummy, so I stripped mine and finished it with satin black. So , early or later the finish was the same.

·
Registered
91 Diablo
791 Posts
Mine must have been refinished before then. It is a satin black with almost sort of an iridescence to it if you look really close in the sunlight. I had a scratch on it from when my shift lever snapped and scratched the hell out of it right between the window switched. I thought I'd never match it but using Spraymax Hot Rod Black Satin the match was so perfect I didn't even repaint the whole piece. Just many very light dusting coats and the finish looks great and matched perfectly. Mine does not have the hole in the center. I'm also curious what that is.
Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel Satellite radio

·
Registered
91 Diablo
791 Posts
Still working through some things but I might be close now. It’s running with no CEL and not overheating so that’s good. I’ll give an update on my thread in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #512 ·
guys, i am not really mounting a fake diablo wing on a 1972 429 Country Squire low rider station wagon...that doesnt make any sense.

Yes, magnaflows into both side exit exhaust. Its a very rare special order 429 4V (which in american terms oddly means 4 venturis aka 4 barrel). But in the life of the 429/460 big block era, this is a low horsepower motor as emissions were taking hold, so the heads are horrible. I have been convinced to commission a 460 overbore long block, which I suspect will be in the 650-700hp range.

every wednesday at sonoma raceway (aka Sears Point, which is about 15 miles from me), they do drag racing. I am going to drag this wagon as is and see what time it pulls. Then, motor swap and see how many people i can embarrass with a 700hp wagon.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #517 ·
i took the diablo for the first long drive, and the motor runs great - not as fast as my other Diablo, but much smoother, and particularly the gearbox is butter. I will do a final sync and check on balance, then done.

I took out the engine bay fuse box, attached pictures for reference, everything looks good and original, just going to clean it up and repaint.

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Auto part Audio equipment

Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Bumper Electronic device

Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gas Portable stove Electrical tape

Electrical wiring Audio equipment Gas Cable Machine

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #518 ·
I have already replaced the long vacuum hose from engine back to interior, and going to do all of them.

They are all labeled “Motorcraft KDV-2 Distributor Vaccum 5/32”. These look original as they are all over the place on my car, but motorcraft is a ford company….does anyone else with an early Diablo have these?

Wood Audio equipment Hardwood Cable Tool

501 - 520 of 595 Posts