Lamborghini Talk banner
441 - 460 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #442 ·
remove rear wing deck lid. There are 3 or 4 button head allen bolts.

then, there are two 8mm sheet metal screws into speedclips on the rear trim piece. To get at those:

1) remove the aluminum slats behind the rad fans (two phillips head each)

2) remove rad fans (4-8mm screws each). no need to remove all the way, just loosen and turn fans counterclockwise. Soak in PB blaster, both my dialbos these were rusted)

3) reach behind light assembly and remove 4 10mm nuts holding light assembly to mounting bar. Only one is hard to get at, and you cant get at it with the rad fans in place (at least i couldnt).

4) remove light assembly, and get at the 8mm screw.

Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks. I remember wanting to tighten up the Diablo emblem that was a little loose. I removed the wing deck lid and button head allen bolts but that is as far as I got. Could tell it was still attached somewhere on the bottom.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #445 ·
I have read about how Chrysler influenced the design of the Diablo, but have not seen anything conclusive such as before and after pictures, or first generations of the Diablo before it came out in 1991. Does any one having anything to share on the topic?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #446 ·
i need an original WSM for the early Diablos(which exist) and book of parts diagrams (which I have never seen or heard of). There is enough of a difference in the early cars vs the VT's. The original WSM are probably barely readable, and pictures of them makes them unusable due to small print. If anyone knows of a source for either i will pay for it.

A very long story short, I traced the non-start problem to a splice in the Engine Speed and TDC sensor wiring, installed as part of the demobilization system years ago. Fixed that, and she fired right up. The LIE was reading the motor wasnt running (flywheel turning), so it wasnt energizing the fuel pumps. Hopefully this weekend i will get to balancing the banks and adjusting throttle linkage. The engine sounds good, smooth and strong.

I also refinished the reverse light surrounds, cleaned lenses, and wired up the rear clip.

Vehicle Car Grille Automotive parking light Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #448 ·
refinish is a strong word. I stripped and repainted the fog light aluminum houses, dissabled fog lights and 4 lights, cleaned, rewired two of the amp plugs, removed aluminum grill to clean and remove VT badge, reset Diablo logo, removed, cleaned and re-gooped the grill behind the aluminum slats. Pretty funny that is just plastered on there with lamborghini goo.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #449 ·
Does anyone have a good source for the ignition coil amplifiers? the last time i bought a set there were lots, but i cant find them now at a reasonable price in the US. XM631 or BKL3B

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #450 ·
The best i could do was find part number WVE 6H1226 from Rock Auto at $83 per amplifier. I am having a spark related issues, and I believe its the amplifiers, but since they are difficult to test, and prone to failure, i am going to replace both.

I have another shake-down issue: rad fans not coming on, engine heating up before warm-up cycle is complete, no water going to radiator, it turns out the prior owner put in the wrong thermostat. The dimensions dont match what @mikael82 posted a while ago (thank you for that useful information), adn its listed as an 83 degree t-stat, so I am going to need to rectify that before proceeding.

Wood Gadget Audio equipment Flooring Floor

Wood Automotive tire Tread Wood stain Hardwood

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,770 Posts
Geno, make sure to double check the obvious: do you have enough fluid in the coolant tank? Happened to me when I did my thermostat project last year! 😬

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #452 ·
Mark, i hope you are doing well brother, we need an update on Clyde.

thermostat is def the culprit, George Evans carries them for $150, when I recieve it i will compare to the information previously compiled by @mikael82

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #456 ·
Thermostat ($150) and gasket ($8) arrived from george evans. its the exact same dimensions as posted by @mikael82 in this post:

Thermostat cross reference | Lamborghini Talk (lamborghini-talk.com)

Thank you everyone for contributing to that thread, it was very useful.

The only marking on this thermostat are 'made in germany" and "BTT". It begins opening between 74-76 degrees, and has the jiggle pin.

Computer Laptop Personal computer Input device Peripheral

Laptop Wood Automotive tire Door Peripheral

·
Registered
678 Posts
That's great info Geno! I actually just ordered one from Evans. After seeing your post I called back to make sure the gasket was included. It was not so everyone make sure you ask for that as well. Unfortunately, they did not have the second half of the thrust washers that I needed.

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,770 Posts
As it relates to the gasket on the thermostat, when I did my coolant hose work about two years ago lo and behold I found a gasket that exactly matched it at an auto parts store. i believe Napa or O’Reilly.

441 - 460 of 473 Posts