Lamborghini Talk banner

Adventures with Jalpa #370

30501 236
Yesterday I took delivery of Jalpa #370, thereby beginning my Jalpa ownership experience.

Known projects that I will be fixing very soon--

1. Fix the headlights: the previous owner had to fiddle with the switches to make them come on-- about 10 to 15 switch flips, but they did eventually come on, and then proceeded to go off in the middle of the drive in the evening.

2. Fix the exterior rear view mirrors -they seem like they are both beyond loose and ready to fall off

3. Sort through the battery drain issue-- previous owner claims its the bazillion watt stereo system that is in the car

4. Complete Brake and Fuel system checks prior to additional driving

5. I am taking feedback on other critical things to check on the car. Please provide comments, as I am new to Jalpa-land.

It was a snowy day when I took delivery of the car, so the specs in the picture are snowflakes falling. I had shoveled the street and driveway twice to clear the snow, but I still had some traction events getting up the driveway.

Attachments

221 - 237 of 237 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
The 2022 Italian Happening in Detroit was a great success today. Jalpa 370 got first place for Lambos at the show. There was a beautiful White Espada that was immaculate. Simply amazing car. Two newer hurracan’s from the local dealer were also there. More fall color shots.

Freeway driving the Ecoboost is great. Plenty of reserve to pull faster and faster. Top off Fall season driving is awesome.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Cloud

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Cloud Vehicle Car

· Registered
269 Posts
Hi John, Congrats on get the car for the Happenings..

Great chatting with you and thanks for sharing the insight on the build. A very impressive accomplishment!

all the best
RS

PS I can’t figure out how to post up the short vid 😊

Attachments

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
It was great meeting you at the show Raging Soul. Thanks for the kind words. Looking forward to the next get together. Just had one last Jalpa blast today. It was 30 degrees with a windchill of 23F, we took the Lambo for a spin through the Wayne County Lightfest in Detroit- and we did it topless. With the new engine and alternator, the cars lights were bright, and the heater blower was spinning nicely on high. Happy Holidays to all in Jalpa Land.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Automotive lighting Electricity Font Asphalt Midnight

Automotive lighting Light Motor vehicle Lighting Automotive design

· Registered
1,943 Posts
Congrats on finishing that monster of a project. Sometimes I want to yank the Jalpa motor out and build from scratch something else. It is so frustrating getting work done on the block. Aluminum is porous as hell and the cams being hard mounted in the heads make it very problematic. I should be done setting up my new shop in about 2 weeks and plan to start on the motor. Good luck. The only problem is that once you finish this, you will crave another project. For me the quest is the most fun. Lee

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Some day I hope I can use the words “I should be done setting up my new shop in about 2 weeks”. That will definitely help with your project.

Thanks for the words of support during my build. I think a Jalpa is never truely finished. I went down a small project rabbit hole with a ash tray replacement box to mount my OBDII port. As soon as I finished the cover, and had it 3D printed, I decided I needed to change the 3.5 to a 2.3 to match my new displacement, so I will print one that says 2.3. I just might print the second version in Metal to see how that looks.

No lamborghini ashtrays were harmed in the making of this project.

Gear shift Automotive design Vehicle Personal luxury car Motor vehicle

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Or I could just change the symbols. Here is the “final” cover installed unless I try to better colormatch/ paint / dye the cover. Jalpa 2.3 is now born with a check engine light and Accessible OBDII port
Rectangle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Font

Automotive design Personal luxury car Vehicle door Auto part Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Gas Vehicle door Automotive exterior

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Good to have you still stopping by the Jalpa forum. I hit a roadblock and am asking for help from all the people in Jalpa land. I cannot get my tach to fire. Yes it worked with the old engine, never had any problems. I have spent hours researching Jaeger tachs, checking the forums, etc. Here is the problem—

Obviously I have a four cylinder PCM controlled engine in the car now
Unfortunately there is no PCM output for tach
I bought a Split Second tach adapter (switchable output for signal multiplication)
I made a jumper to elegantly splice into the coil signal on the PCM
Set the dipswitches in the tach adapter to multiply the signal
I cant get my tach to register.

Does anyone have a scope trace of what the tach signal from the Bosch CDI ignition module looks like on a working Jalpa, or a scope trace on the tach signal (brown wire) in the dash? Specifically Is it outputing 12V wave or a higher voltage signal?. There is some mention on the Porsche forums (early cars used a version of our CDI module) about higher voltages on some tach. So before I buy a different tach adapter with a higher voltage output, or before I start adding pullup resistors to “improve” the converted signal, or before I send the tach to Palo Alto Speedometer for a conversion and restoration, I wanted to check with the experts here? Any thoughts.

I dont quite have the courage to hook up the takeout OEM engine with the takeout OEM bosch CDI module, and try to momentarily run the engine on my engine stand just to get an idea of what the tach signal is. I’d rather buy a couple more tach adapters and play with pull up resistors, then to go through that trouble. Although it would be epic as to run a Jalpa engine with no exhaust manifolds.

Thoughts and advice is welcome.
Circuit component Technology Hardware programmer Cable Audio equipment

· Registered
3,326 Posts
The tacho is a wave signal, the MSD Box output doesn't fit therefore you need the tacho adapter, the original signal from the distributor worked.

· Registered
1,943 Posts
There is a guy in New York that can make any Jaeger tach work with anything. Check my old posts . He rebuilds, modifys and works on all jaegar.

· Registered
233 Posts
I have not put a scope on my Jalpa tachometer, but had an easy transition (tachometer-wise) when converting from the Bosch CDI box to Electromotive’s TEC3 unit, which I believe is a 0-12V square wave.

I had some trouble with my Espada tachometer, but found D&M Restorations Tachometer Repair and Restoration in South Carolina who replaced the internals, so it worked well with Electromotive’s TEC3r unit. I am sure they could be helpful to you too.

A small detail to watch out for on the Jalpa Tachometer is the OE plastic needle, which over time bends up to (and interferes with) the glass. It can be upgraded to a lightweight aluminum needle.

221 - 237 of 237 Posts