Stripping - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2019, 06:01 PM
Silver Supporter
Silver Site Supporter

Gallery: 0
Default Stripping

Now that I have everyone’s attention...lol...

Has anyone stripped their oil drain hole?

The oil plug went in fine during the last oil change, but for some reason, when I removed it today, it came out at a slight angle and took out a bunch of threads with it. I had to dig out scraps of metal from inside the drain hole area.

Even though I torqued it at the recommended 45 N-m during the last oil change, I suspect that value is too high. I’m used to torquing oil plugs at 25 ft-lbs, so that’s what I’m going to do from now on.

Anyhoo, has anyone been through this before? What is the thread size and is there a longer plug available anywhere? I suspect that that with many threads now gone, I’ll only grab one or two threads with what’s remaining and am concerned about torquing on only a couple of threads and making matters worse.

Thanks, Drew
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Viper ACR, Paxton Supercharged
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Viper RT/10

1995 Viper RT/10

Last edited by Drew Zee; 08-31-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2019, 06:09 PM

you will need to get it repaired, can be done with a "Helicoil"

basically drilled / tapped to a bigger size, and a new threaded insert installed...

I would not risk just using a longer plug, if it fails and you drop oil... could destroy your motor.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-31-2019, 06:27 PM
Silver Supporter
Silver Site Supporter

Thanks. Does the pan need to come out, or can it be done in place?

2001 Viper RT/10

1995 Viper RT/10

Old 08-31-2019, 06:46 PM

yeah Id say the pan will most likely need to come out to make sure no metal gets into the engine.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:56 PM

Nicely done I agree that you need to repair it. A Helicoil should work but I wouldn't chance trying to do it without removing the sump. There will be metal shavings that get into the sump from the drilling and tapping operation. You might be tempted to flush the debris out but that's risky business and not worth it in my opinion.

Steve
73 Plymouth Cuda 528 cu in Hemi Limelight Green
70 Dodge Challenger 511 cu in Hemi (gone)
32 Ford Highboy Roadster SBC with blower (gone)
84 Van Diemen Formula Atlantic (gone)
83 Lamborghini Countach (gone)
84 Ferrari 308 GTSI QV (gone)
84 Porsche 944S (gone)
79 Corvette L-82 (gone)
72 Maserati Bora (gone)
58 Chevrolet with 409 cu in 425hp (gone)
Old 08-31-2019, 09:26 PM

Ouch, this is hard to look at.

It looks as though you may want to have the face planed as well, looks messed up where the copper crush washer faces up to?

I never torque aluminum plugs, I don't trust aluminum and always use a normal length 3/8 ratchet tightening by feel.

2009 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
UR Stage 3 Twin Turbskie w Race Heads
ADV5.2 M.V1 SL Wheels & Swift Springs
Arancio Borealis

2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
2.9L Whipple Supercharger
SVE R350 Wheels & BMR Springs
Competition Orange

Past
2006 Lamborghini Gallardo SE
Gated Verde Ithaca
Heffner Twin GT3582R's
1016whp/726wtq on 91 Octane/Meth Injection - Dynojet
Old 09-01-2019, 12:34 AM
Silver Supporter
Silver Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iownedu View Post
Ouch, this is hard to look at.

It looks as though you may want to have the face planed as well, looks messed up where the copper crush washer faces up to?

I never torque aluminum plugs, I don't trust aluminum and always use a normal length 3/8 ratchet tightening by feel.
So I wonder why the specs call out the massive 45 N-m torque?

I looked at it again and still have 4-5 untouched threads left in the pan. Did a search and found a 14X1.5 Dorman plug that has 11 threads, at double the OEM length (0.93” long). I’ll be able to engage just as many threads as the OEM plug (4). The metal pieces from the oil pan were all external and came out when the plug came out.

2001 Viper RT/10

1995 Viper RT/10
Old 09-01-2019, 03:13 AM

Damn I hate it when stuff like that happens. When you repair the oil pan I would suggest adding Fumoto drain valves. No worry about stripping the pan when done and oil changes are much easier. I changed out my drain plugs on my first oil change. Couple pics at the end of this thread.

https://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbf...54/index2.html
Old 09-01-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Zee View Post
So I wonder why the specs call out the massive 45 N-m torque?

I looked at it again and still have 4-5 untouched threads left in the pan. Did a search and found a 14X1.5 Dorman plug that has 11 threads, at double the OEM length (0.93 long). Ill be able to engage just as many threads as the OEM plug (4). The metal pieces from the oil pan were all external and came out when the plug came out.
You may still want to run a tap in there to clean the threads, otherwise you risk messing up the rest of them. Could probably just run the tap in a couple threads at a time and not clean the last few threads, cleaning the tap in between so you don't push any shavings in the hole.

2009 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
UR Stage 3 Twin Turbskie w Race Heads
ADV5.2 M.V1 SL Wheels & Swift Springs
Arancio Borealis

2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
2.9L Whipple Supercharger
SVE R350 Wheels & BMR Springs
Competition Orange

Past
2006 Lamborghini Gallardo SE
Gated Verde Ithaca
Heffner Twin GT3582R's
1016whp/726wtq on 91 Octane/Meth Injection - Dynojet
Old 09-01-2019, 07:55 AM
Silver Supporter
Silver Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iownedu View Post
You may still want to run a tap in there to clean the threads, otherwise you risk messing up the rest of them. Could probably just run the tap in a couple threads at a time and not clean the last few threads, cleaning the tap in between so you don't push any shavings in the hole.
Good idea - thanks!

2001 Viper RT/10

1995 Viper RT/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in