Should I change to a MK1? - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2019, 02:36 PM

Gallery: 0
Default Should I change to a MK1?

So I'm enjoying ownership of my 2009 LP560, however it's such a nice example I can't bring myself to modify it - and I really want a project, rather than something to polish.

For me, I really want to "make it my own" in terms of styling, etc.

Things I think about doing are, custom wrap, lowering, aftermarket wing, new stereo, new wheels, exhaust, etc. There seems to be a lot more options for the MK1.

I also really like the vents on the MK1.

My concern with buying a MK1 would be mainly the interior being a bit scruffy, but I guess that can always be improved (re-trim, new parts etc).

So, my question is... has anyone gone from a MK2 to a MK1? And are there any pitfalls? Anything I won't like having had an LP560?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 02:42 PM

If you do, go manual and the experience will be so different that I think you won’t constantly long for the extra power/refinement/precision of the LP cars. PRt of the joy of the pre lp is its hard-edged, analog, visceral and Raw driving experience. It’s not supposed to drive like an lp, and that is what makes them fun. Lighten it up a bit, convert to rwd, get lighter wheels and an exhaust, and I bet you wouldn’t miss the extra ponies. I’m like you, I’m not sure I would have been able to bring myself to significantly mod a nice, clean lp. However, everything I’ve done to my car is 100% reversible, so when it’s time to say goodbye then it shouldn’t be an issue.
2005 Gallardo. Giallo Halys, 6 speed manual, RWD, RSC Exhaust, BMC filters, Ultraleggera wheels, clear bonnet, yellow calipers (and about 250 lbs in weight reducing mods/deletions). Also: '04 gt3, V8 944, '81 911sc, '16 Escalade, '14 ELR (Daily), '12 Wrangler)

Past Cars: 07 911 GT3; 01 911 Turbo, many m3's, 99 Carrera, 01 Boxster S, 98 Boxster.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-10-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennj View Post
So I'm enjoying ownership of my 2009 LP560, however it's such a nice example I can't bring myself to modify it - and I really want a project, rather than something to polish.

For me, I really want to "make it my own" in terms of styling, etc.

Things I think about doing are, custom wrap, lowering, aftermarket wing, new stereo, new wheels, exhaust, etc. There seems to be a lot more options for the MK1.

I also really like the vents on the MK1.

My concern with buying a MK1 would be mainly the interior being a bit scruffy, but I guess that can always be improved (re-trim, new parts etc).

So, my question is... has anyone gone from a MK2 to a MK1? And are there any pitfalls? Anything I won't like having had an LP560?
I have an 06 gated MK1, I absolutely love it. It's raw, loud, plenty of power, harsh ride and f1 scream that can't be replicated.

You will miss the smoothness of LP and better egear..I would get an LP in a heartbeat if it had the 5.0 engine!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190906_125348_1568148440621.jpg (92.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20190906_132328_1568148456148.jpg (66.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by toolie; 09-10-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:54 PM

When you say smoothness, are you referring to the gearbox, suspension, or ??
Old 09-10-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennj View Post
When you say smoothness, are you referring to the gearbox, suspension, or ??
Have you driven both? Everything about the LP is more "smooth," from the action of the shifter (sorry, my buddy's lp car was a manual), to the suspension, to the steering feel, to the power delivery and sound. Its just overall a much more refined experience. Hard to describe it other than that. pre-lp is raw, which is why I like it (and a really, really good value in the sports car world, imho). There are plenty of faster/nicer/better cars out there, but few offer the same level of aesthetic appeal, driving dynamics, and "wow" factor, at the price point of a nice pre-lp gallardo!
2005 Gallardo. Giallo Halys, 6 speed manual, RWD, RSC Exhaust, BMC filters, Ultraleggera wheels, clear bonnet, yellow calipers (and about 250 lbs in weight reducing mods/deletions). Also: '04 gt3, V8 944, '81 911sc, '16 Escalade, '14 ELR (Daily), '12 Wrangler)

Past Cars: 07 911 GT3; 01 911 Turbo, many m3's, 99 Carrera, 01 Boxster S, 98 Boxster.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottslaw View Post
If you do, go manual and the experience will be so different that I think you wonít constantly long for the extra power/refinement/precision of the LP cars. PRt of the joy of the pre lp is its hard-edged, analog, visceral and Raw driving experience. Itís not supposed to drive like an lp, and that is what makes them fun. Lighten it up a bit, convert to rwd, get lighter wheels and an exhaust, and I bet you wouldnít miss the extra ponies. Iím like you, Iím not sure I would have been able to bring myself to significantly mod a nice, clean lp. However, everything Iíve done to my car is 100% reversible, so when itís time to say goodbye then it shouldnít be an issue.
Yes, I was wondering whether I'd go manual or not if I got a MK1. Considering all my daily drivers are now automatic, a manual might be a nicer reminder of how cars used to be - and I feel like I have more control in a manual (although I'm pretty good at the e-gear now!).

Power I'm not too concerned about, it's still got plenty and if I want more then I can do some mods hey!
Old 09-10-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottslaw View Post
Have you driven both? Everything about the LP is more "smooth," from the action of the shifter (sorry, my buddy's lp car was a manual), to the suspension, to the steering feel, to the power delivery and sound. Its just overall a much more refined experience. Hard to describe it other than that. pre-lp is raw, which is why I like it (and a really, really good value in the sports car world, imho). There are plenty of faster/nicer/better cars out there, but few offer the same level of aesthetic appeal, driving dynamics, and "wow" factor, at the price point of a nice pre-lp gallardo!
Sounds like my late friend's TVR T350. That thing was as raw as they come, I really struggled to drive the thing for the first 15 mins!! However, it added to the craziness.

As you say, I probably need to try one before I can really make any sort of decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in