Pre-LP Twin Turbo Question - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2019, 06:58 PM

Gallery: 0
Default Pre-LP Twin Turbo Question

Any Pre LP owners build their own TT system or know of a company that offers a kit? I don’t see any vendors offering a kit. It would be such an easy install I’m surprised no one offers them.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Underground Racing has been doing them for a long time. Dallas Performance as well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-11-2019, 07:29 PM

He's looking for a kit to self install, not sure any of the builders are offering that.

Heffner has various shops around the US that he trusts to install their stage 1 kit though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
UR Stage 3 Twin Turbskie w Race Heads
ADV5.2 M.V1 SL Wheels & Swift Springs
Arancio Borealis

2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
2.9L Whipple Supercharger
SVE R350 Wheels & BMR Springs
Competition Orange

Past
2006 Lamborghini Gallardo SE
Gated Verde Ithaca
Heffner Twin GT3582R's
1016whp/726wtq on 91 Octane/Meth Injection - Dynojet

Old 11-12-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakenbake View Post
Any Pre LP owners build their own TT system or know of a company that offers a kit? I donít see any vendors offering a kit. It would be such an easy install Iím surprised no one offers them.
I've done a ton of research on this. I just finished installing my built engine and planning to TT the car myself after the engine break in is complete.

Short answer: There are not bolt on pre-lp options that make sense.

Long Answer: Some of the big name shops like Dallas Performance will sell you a kit but it's so expensive that it makes more sense to just mail them the car. Titan I believe is another one that will sell you a kit but none of these kits include a tune and they still want $30K for the parts.

So I'm leaning towards building my own kit which would allow me to pick my own turbos and fabricate the rest. I'm still having issues deciding on the best route for a tune. Syvecs is the only company that offers a plug and play ECU for the Gallardo and it's around $7500 with a not so user friendly software. I've used Haltech ECU's for years and love their software but they don't offer anything to control a V10 and even if they did it would have to be used as a piggy back like the Motec's and AEM Infiniti. I like having a standalone much better to eliminate most of the OEM ECU's for diagnostic purposes.

You can tune the stock ECU but it's only capable of tuning up to around 4 psi which leaves a lot of potential power on table. You also have to buy a $2500 software to tune the stock ECU or send your car to someone to tune and the cheapest tuner I've found to dyno tune a custom TT kit on a stock ECU was $5K for the tune and 4 weeks with the car. Overall, the pre-lp ECU is not tuner friendly. It's a lot of trial and error from what I understand.

Fabricating the turbo kit is not that bad at all. But getting it properly tuned afterwards is the hard (expensive) part. Even if you wanted to simplify the fab work you could run EFR turbos with built in recircs and wastegates or Comp oil less turbos to avoid having to plumb oil feed and return.

Gallardo engine bay space/heat pretty much requires a water to air intercooler so minor fabrication work would be needed for that as you would have to run lines through the trans tunnel and a radiator up front. Overall, still pretty simple if you have a welder and some free time.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:39 AM

Thats a lot of great info. Thank you! So far I have found a company in Cali called CFI Designs. They have a supposed bolt on kit with ATW Intercoolers for around $25k. Still a bit expensive but getting closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw300zx View Post
I've done a ton of research on this. I just finished installing my built engine and planning to TT the car myself after the engine break in is complete.

Short answer: There are not bolt on pre-lp options that make sense.

Long Answer: Some of the big name shops like Dallas Performance will sell you a kit but it's so expensive that it makes more sense to just mail them the car. Titan I believe is another one that will sell you a kit but none of these kits include a tune and they still want $30K for the parts.

So I'm leaning towards building my own kit which would allow me to pick my own turbos and fabricate the rest. I'm still having issues deciding on the best route for a tune. Syvecs is the only company that offers a plug and play ECU for the Gallardo and it's around $7500 with a not so user friendly software. I've used Haltech ECU's for years and love their software but they don't offer anything to control a V10 and even if they did it would have to be used as a piggy back like the Motec's and AEM Infiniti. I like having a standalone much better to eliminate most of the OEM ECU's for diagnostic purposes.

You can tune the stock ECU but it's only capable of tuning up to around 4 psi which leaves a lot of potential power on table. You also have to buy a $2500 software to tune the stock ECU or send your car to someone to tune and the cheapest tuner I've found to dyno tune a custom TT kit on a stock ECU was $5K for the tune and 4 weeks with the car. Overall, the pre-lp ECU is not tuner friendly. It's a lot of trial and error from what I understand.

Fabricating the turbo kit is not that bad at all. But getting it properly tuned afterwards is the hard (expensive) part. Even if you wanted to simplify the fab work you could run EFR turbos with built in recircs and wastegates or Comp oil less turbos to avoid having to plumb oil feed and return.

Gallardo engine bay space/heat pretty much requires a water to air intercooler so minor fabrication work would be needed for that as you would have to run lines through the trans tunnel and a radiator up front. Overall, still pretty simple if you have a welder and some free time.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Thats a lot of great info. Thank you! So far I have found a company in Cali called CFI Designs. They have a supposed bolt on kit with ATW Intercoolers for around $25k. Still a bit expensive but getting closer.
Ok cool, CFI Designs was actually on my list of places to call. Does the $25K include a some sort of base map or is that for parts only?
Old 11-12-2019, 09:07 AM

Apparently full tune included

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw300zx View Post
Quote:
Ok cool, CFI Designs was actually on my list of places to call. Does the $25K include a some sort of base map or is that for parts only?
Old 11-13-2019, 10:14 PM

I would be cautious of CFI. I personally owned a cfi tt r8, fantastic fabrication and kit. But I have heard of a lot of shenanigans that the owner has done in the past year or two. Having customer cars for months on end, few cars blowing up, failed tunes, etc.

Heffner sells kits to authorized installation facilities around the US. I am one of those. And I also can tune these cars on stock ecu with a stage1. It’s very doable. It’s the the ideal setup, but it’s feasible. Feel free to pm me if you have questions.
1994 Dodge Viper RT10
1984 Lamborghini Countach 5000S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in