Loud cold start has disappeared - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2020, 10:30 PM

Gallery: 0
Default Loud cold start has disappeared

My fellow OG's...that loud cold start that we all enjoy (short as it may be) on my 12 LP550 is no more. I noticed for the last 4-5 starts that cold starts are very tame sounding and the idle is slightly uneven for a few minutes until it warms up a bit. I suspect a defective coolant temp sensor but I can't find any inherent symptoms for this anywhere... can't even pinpoint the temp sensor location. Any ideas, similar experience?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 11:24 PM

Your exhaust solve might be stuck on quiet. There is also a vacuum hose to control that valve which may be loose
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-16-2020, 03:58 AM

when u cold start, what was the rpm?

Old 01-16-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djantlive View Post
Your exhaust solve might be stuck on quiet. There is also a vacuum hose to control that valve which may be loose
I can actually hear the flaps close within the normal time it takes, a minute or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe07 View Post
when u cold start, what was the rpm?
The RPM is as it would be if at operating temperature ~ 600-700 RPM is my guestimate.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:23 AM

The loud start is caused by the air pumps not by the valves, ironically enough. Do you have any warning lights or anything? The pumps are emissions related so I’d assume they are heavily “sensored” and that you would have a light popping up or a CEL if something was wrong. Is the temperature sensor ok?

2011 Lamborghini 570-4 Performante
Old 01-16-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M. View Post
The loud start is caused by the air pumps not by the valves, ironically enough. Do you have any warning lights or anything? The pumps are emissions related so I’d assume they are heavily “sensored” and that you would have a light popping up or a CEL if something was wrong. Is the temperature sensor ok?
That's the strange thing... no CEL. Cold start idle is a little uneven but revs without hesitation. I'm guessing mixture control issue, maybe coolant temp sensor signal incorrect thus incorrect startup mapping and no air pump activation... but signal not completely out of range so no check engine light.

I thought for sure someone would have experienced this. I guess I just have to scan it for codes and clues. Any idea where the temp sensor is? Couldn't find it online.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:55 PM

Has happened on a couple of occasions. No codes.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:08 AM

Interesting subject because I've often wanted to start my G in 'stealth' mode!

My understanding is that the noise on cold start is due to a combination of increased idle speed and also change in cam-timing.

If you're not getting the cold-start idle speed of around 1200rpm, that's at least one of the two. As the ecu speed is electronically controlled, it could be a symptom, e.g. ECU decides not to raise engine speed due to lack of oil or fuel pressure.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:09 AM

Maybe the airflow meters need replacement or cleaning. However when it happens your revs are not stable...
Old Yesterday, 12:59 AM

Thanks for the input people...I will report back once I figure it out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in