Finally time! Questions regarding available SL's - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: 06552, 05896, or keep looking?
06552 1 20.00%
05896 0 0%
keep looking 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2019, 11:54 AM

Gallery: 0
Default Finally time! Questions regarding available SL's

Hi all,
Finally time to seriously start looking at SL's. Couldn't be more excited, but want to be sure I pick a good one out of the available lot. Really looking for Nero Noctis, but not opposed to Grigio Telesto if significantly better specs/mileage.
For those more experienced users (pretty much all more than me!), what can you tell me about these two?

06552 from Lambo Dallas
05896 from RP Exotics

I like the stock-ness of 06552, and the fact its from the dealer. But I love the exhaust on 05896, although it has higher mileage. How much weight shall I put in the reverse camera and CCB?

Any/all comments appreciated, thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 10:32 PM

I would say hold out a bit.

1) The exotic market is cooling down and going to cool down even more as winter hits.
2) Both cars are relatively high mileage (especially the Dallas one).
3) Both cars are also asking close to LP/LP Spyder prices... which is nuts.

Are you really set on an SL? Because you can get an LP which is much more solid, 5 years newer, and will likely not ever need a clutch/egear job unless you reverse up a hill in your lifetime. I get the SL is limited but almost all that stuff you can do to an LP— and you can do it, save a bunch, and also end up with a frankly better and more reliable car.

Let me know and I’ll give my thoughts.

Regardless, even if you’re set on the pre-LP SL, I say keep looking. Dealers are holding out trying to set market price right now — must have had the cars on the lot for months though and are getting antsy.

2012 Lamborghini 550-2 Spyder
2012 Maserati Quattroporte S
2009 Ferrari 16M
2007 Lotus Exige S
+ a "few" others
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-01-2019, 12:44 PM

Definitely set on an SL. But, may hold out at least to see if anything pops up in the next month or two. There's a great price on LP SL at some place in Tulsa, but questionable history: Kabani Motorsports 2011 Superleggera

Old 12-01-2019, 01:11 PM

Hey man—

I would suggest to never buy an older exotic (especially a non-historical or vintage one) from a non dealer. The reason is simple— most of the older exotics have been tortured because of the owners prior.

I won’t buy any special edition exotic from any non-franchise dealer. A 16M or 458 Speciale will be from a Ferrari dealer. A Performante or Superleggera will be from a Lamborghini dealer. If I ever go insane and want to lose 200k in a day, a LT from a mclaren dealer. Limited edition cars are almost always offered for wholesale pricing to their respective franchise dealer the holding dealer has a relationship. A 16M might get traded in on an Aventador and the Lamborghini dealer will call their friend at the Ferrari dealership and say “hey we have one of your halo cars, you want it?”

It’s better for the dealership to have this system not just for prestige but for ease of sale— it’s “free” and easy to plug the LARA into the SL, check clutch life, do secret voodoo, run a service and list it. It’s much more expensive for Ferrari to send the car in to their buddy at Lambo, get dealer rates on service, and take it back.

Anyway the point of this ramble is that almost ANY dealership you see selling a limited edition exotic that is NOT a franchise dealer is selling a car with stories. Because they have called their friend at the franchise, given them the info, etc and the franchise decided “a limited edition collector’s car that costs us nothing to sell? It’s not worth it.”

Just my thoughts.

I will say as someone who has driven both LP/preLP cars — the LP is a wildly more reliable and “well built” car. It feels higher quality which is why a lot of us spend thousands buying little conversion kits and replacement parts to at least try to replicate them.

2012 Lamborghini 550-2 Spyder
2012 Maserati Quattroporte S
2009 Ferrari 16M
2007 Lotus Exige S
+ a "few" others

Follow me on Twitter:
Old 12-01-2019, 04:58 PM

Hey I looked into that Dallas car a while back and have some service records and even spoke to the shop where it was serviced before it was traded in. It has been in their inventory for over a year, probably closer to a year and a half now.

Feel free to PM to discuss. Happy to help!
Old 12-01-2019, 06:24 PM

Default Finally time! Questions regarding available SL's

So I watched the market for a few years before jumping into my SL 3.5 years ago.

I only wanted a white SL so it was going to be finding a needle in a haystack.

I decided on a Pre Lp was a better choice for me for a few reasons.

Documentation of 172 total made for North America.
The SOUND of PRELP is intoxicating!

One day when it’s time to sell PRELP cars will be a rare commodity. Look at all cars that have increased in value. Cars with known hard #’s made.

LP SL’s were about 20k more at my time of purchase

It’s still about a 20-40k spread now a days all depending on mileage.

LP’s were made per order and no one knows how many are really made in each color. They also are more prone to carbon build up in the heads.

I almost settled for a Grigio telesto but I found my needle One of 10 whites during my search. 6 have been Twin Turbo’d and two have been wrecked. Other one resides in San Francisco.

Here is a great site to see what PRELP are avail and what has sold.

http://gallardosuperleggera.com/forsale.html

There are 4 Grigio’s available currently. As for black they really need to be inspected personally as it’s the toughest color to maintain swirl free. Everyone’s perception of immaculate is deceiving. Black looks amazing when clean but 1 hour after washing a black car it’s dirty again.

Good luck with your search. It’s prime time buyers market as winter is starting.

Last edited by monEmakindave; 12-01-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M. View Post
Hey man—

I would suggest to never buy an older exotic (especially a non-historical or vintage one) from a non dealer. The reason is simple— most of the older exotics have been tortured because of the owners prior.

I won’t buy any special edition exotic from any non-franchise dealer. A 16M or 458 Speciale will be from a Ferrari dealer. A Performante or Superleggera will be from a Lamborghini dealer. If I ever go insane and want to lose 200k in a day, a LT from a mclaren dealer. Limited edition cars are almost always offered for wholesale pricing to their respective franchise dealer the holding dealer has a relationship. A 16M might get traded in on an Aventador and the Lamborghini dealer will call their friend at the Ferrari dealership and say “hey we have one of your halo cars, you want it?”

It’s better for the dealership to have this system not just for prestige but for ease of sale— it’s “free” and easy to plug the LARA into the SL, check clutch life, do secret voodoo, run a service and list it. It’s much more expensive for Ferrari to send the car in to their buddy at Lambo, get dealer rates on service, and take it back.

Anyway the point of this ramble is that almost ANY dealership you see selling a limited edition exotic that is NOT a franchise dealer is selling a car with stories. Because they have called their friend at the franchise, given them the info, etc and the franchise decided “a limited edition collector’s car that costs us nothing to sell? It’s not worth it.”

Just my thoughts.

I will say as someone who has driven both LP/preLP cars — the LP is a wildly more reliable and “well built” car. It feels higher quality which is why a lot of us spend thousands buying little conversion kits and replacement parts to at least try to replicate them.
I'm not ENTIRELY sold on this mentality. I think in general solid advice. But if you do the right amount of research into the right car... They all are not cars with stories.

Case in point, my '13 SL bought at luxury non-lambo dealer. Well known to Lambo I should say. Car with 16k miles I bought for under what that kabani motorsports one is selling for (despite being 2 years newer and lower miles). Welcome to Canada (maybe?). Either way, It had full service records done at Lambo, spoke with Lambo techs about the car, had a full EXHAUSTIVE PPI done (paid for more than the average I guess including compression tests and more) and it was as flawless as can be with excellent clutch life left.

The car was a steal and it was only because of 3 months of hassling the dealer to come down haha. I knew what he paid for it and after it sitting on his lot for 8 months (3 of which were me working him) he sold it for 1k more than what he paid for it. Given the time on the lot, etc... I'm sure he lost. But I won.

Moral of the story, 99 percent of the time, don't do sketchy dealers. But needles in hay stacks do exist.

(famous last words before mine blows up haha. Good thing it's parked for winter)

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2019, 07:24 PM

Such great info thanks. I have been flip-flopping with both mentalities. I love the "specialty" feel of the pre-LP, but of course love something a little more modern being my first Lambo (never having to worry about a clutch sure sounds nice). Honestly, I don't think I'd know the difference without owning both, but I'll probably go to one of the dealers with both options and see what the test drives reveal.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:42 PM

Solid plan. It's a great start!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2019, 01:27 AM

Sweet! Would definitely go for white over all else but it looks like they only pop up every few years. I’m way too impatient for that. Nicely done, glad you found it! Pic?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monEmakindave View Post

I almost settled for a Grigio telesto but I found my needle One of 10 whites during my search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in