Experience with K40's Calibre Radar & Laser Protection in a Gallardo - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 10:40 PM

Gallery: 0
Default Experience with K40's Calibre Radar & Laser Protection in a Gallardo

Does anyone have any experience with K40's Calibre radar and laser protection system in a Gallardo or any other car for that matter? Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2009, 05:24 AM
Administrator
Onyx Site Supporter

I was real close to installing one on Diablo, but thought the location for the front one would have to be so low to the ground it wouldn't be very effective. It's still attractive though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-21-2009, 03:48 PM

Yes, I have had several of the calibre units installed in cars I had prior to my Gallardo. I did not have the Laser Diffusors though, so I can't comment on their effectiveness.

When the Calibre is installed properly it's really steathly and a pretty good radar with few false alarms. It's very classy. I did have a problem with a defective k40 and the bluetooth sensors not syncing to the brain. That required another trip for the component to be replaced.

Some things to think about before you make your decision:

No matter how good your radar is when your on a back road you can still get nailed and K40 DID NOT pay my ticket when I got nailed doubling the speed limit like they advertise.

I do not know if the range is as good on the k40 since the sensors are down so low. I just use a hardwired V1 under my mirror in the Gallardo. It seems like the V1 has better range being higher in the car. Except it looks like a piece of junk and has too many false alarms. It is only really good on the highway.

There really isn't much research out there on the K40, which is pretty frustrating. I hope I helped in some way.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Administrator
Onyx Site Supporter

yes, good info. Sounds pretty inconclusive as the whether to pull the trigger on one. I use a V1 too, and I am very happy with it. If you think it looks like a piece of junk hard wired in, try sticking it to your windshield with the cord hanging down. It's down right embarrassing.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:36 AM

As long as it doesn't bother you, that's all that matters! It's not that difficult to hardwire. I just ran the extra wire they give you from the mirror to the inner edge of the headliner, then down the side of the trim to the fuse box. From there you wire it to one of the extra fuses.

I would NEVER wire it the way V1 suggests, straight to the ignition!

I have my radar up right under my mirror and positioned pretty well. I just ordered a new mount that actually hooks it onto the mirror but haven't had the chance to play with it.

Also, I just purchased that photoblocker spray that allegedly defeats the light cameras at intersections. It's pretty invisible to the naked eye and they claim it will make the plate impossible to read by reflecting the flash. I'm skeptical, but it was cheap and any way I can fight off big brother!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:18 AM

Location: Bologna - Italy (very close to Sant'Agata Bolognese)
Gallery: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoLeto1 View Post
Also, I just purchased that photoblocker spray that allegedly defeats the light cameras at intersections. It's pretty invisible to the naked eye and they claim it will make the plate impossible to read by reflecting the flash. I'm skeptical, but it was cheap and any way I can fight off big brother!
Hi RossoLeto , can you pls tell me the spray brand ?
It's possible to buy on the net ?? Maybe they don't ship it to Italy...
I've friends in Miami till this Wed. maybe they can buy for me ...

Thanks
Mike

Murcielago '05

Cigarette '38 Top Gun

Range Rover Vogue
Old 02-22-2009, 09:22 AM

are theese prudocts good as they say ??

photo blocker

Murcielago '05

Cigarette '38 Top Gun

Range Rover Vogue
Old 02-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoLeto1 View Post
No matter how good your radar is when your on a back road you can still get nailed.
With radar detectors being so common, police always have the radar turned off until you are right up close to them. Then they turn it on and theres nothing you can do. Obviously if theres no signal being sent, the radar detector isn't going to go off. I was pretty frustrated to learn this after I bought my radar detector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyboy View Post
are theese prudocts good as they say ??

photo blocker
I've seen two different reviews on TV of those products. They tried the sprays, a plastic thing that you put over the plate, and a few other things like that.
None of them worked what so ever. You could clearly see the plate in every trial. The spray was cheap, so I guess there isn't much to lose. But I wouldn't waste my time. There was really no benefit to any of the products.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:53 PM

One of my best American friends who works at L.A.P.D. just sent me an email..

Yes...It does work. It creates a mirrored affect when the bright lights flash. The only problem is it is triggered with bright light, so at times when the sun or car lights hit it at an angle you can see it. If the police see it they can issue a citation for it and possibly impound the license plate for "defacing" it.

Murcielago '05

Cigarette '38 Top Gun

Range Rover Vogue
Old 02-22-2009, 01:53 PM

Found these during my research. They contain detailed information on the performance of K40's Calibre system.

Gadgeteer - K40 CALIBRE Remote Bluetooth Enabled Radar And Laser Protection System ? The Gadgeteer

SML test results - SML 2005 CALIBRE test
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in