Best oil for LP560? - Page 3 - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2011, 09:22 AM

Gallery: 0

I have been told about the castrol syntec foaming. I haven't observed this personally. Based on my observation, Syntec appears to be superior to Mobil 1 0-40 and Total Quartz 5-40. No foaming and oil has darken very little.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo50Mike View Post
Dude....You are reading WAYYY too far into the whole oil thing. I've put 20k miles on the 560 using 'North American' Castrol Syntec/Edge/Titanuim/Whatever....And no problems. It would run just as well on K-mart oil. Check the specs for the R8 V10, and see what they say...
Yeah Mike, the car would probably run well on any "synthetic" oil. I agree, but given that it is such a a large investment, and I am starting with a fresh engine, I would like to put the kind of oil into it that the factory recommends. If it is not too difficult to obtain. Otherwise I will likely pour in Mobil 1 5W-30 which I am using on our other cars now, or the American Castrol Edge with Titanium.

BTW. Does it make sense that a motor oil has metal in it? Not like Moly metal, but a super hard metal like Titanium? Not Ti02, but "titanium" as in titanium bolts. I just do not get it, and am leary of what superficially seems like marketing gimicks that Castrol is doing...And then the renaming of their products, etc.

2012 LP 560-4 orange e-gear coupe (sold)
2004 LP-140 orange e-gear coupe (sold)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-24-2011, 05:00 PM

Gallery: 11

Someone is already getting into their future car's maintenance

You're right about the Syntec. The US grade stuff isn't a "true" synthetic. This is why a lot of people import German Syntec which is the genuine article. Castrol Edge is, IMO, the best readily available stuff out there now and is a true synthetic, even in the US.

EDIT: Just read what you wrote about the 3 different Syntecs. Didn't realize they relabeled the old Syntec products to Edge now. I did know that the 20w50 grade was never synthetic for some reason. That was aimed at muscle cars.

Looks like Castrol might have pulled what M1 did, switching to cheaper non-synthetic base stocks and still selling it as synthetic.

EDIT2: Just did some digging on bobistheoilguy and it seems that the original EDGE (of which I bought a good 10 gallons ) was moly based and this is what they replaced with the titanium. The consensus seems to be that this is cheaper than the moly and what Castrol did was basically add the 'Now with Titanium!" hype/label on what is essentially a cheaper product. Euro versions of EDGE are still Moly based.

As far as why to Use Ti, keep in mind that it has excellent oxidation properties.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now working on The Roads Project. Will be running amazing driving roads with reviews in flat out full HD glory. Launch late 2013.

gt-lux.com site/email no longer running.

Quote:
When I watch Game of Thrones, I keep expecting to see Gvan rip through the back of a scene in his Lambo. All your pics and vids have peasants from Winterfell waving at you and ****. I never even see other cars. You drive in a mythical land.

Me, I got Houston.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gvan; 12-24-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:11 PM

2012 Gallardo manuals calls for VW 504.00 (Castrol SLX Professional Longlife III 5W-30). This is not readily available in the U.S. Motul makes VW 504.00 oil that is available. Here is a link for some of the VW 504.00 oils: http://www.my-gti.com/2540

Any thoughts????

Last edited by turn-r-us; 12-24-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn-r-us View Post
2012 Gallardo manuals calls for VW 504.00 (Castrol SLX Professional Longlife III 5W-30). This is not readily available in the U.S. Motul makes VW 504.00 oil that is available. Here is a link for some of the VW 504.00 oils: Volkswagen Oil Standard 504.00 / 507.00 Approved Oils | my-gti.com

Any thoughts????
Very nice catch Turn-r-us! You have helped me unravel the mystery. After I read your post, I went to a variety of sites, including bobthe oil guy and Audi forums, as well as international Castrol sites.

Ladies and gentlemen, we now have the official answer in writing from Castrol. I copied this off an Audi forum here, so credit goes to the OP of this post:

Castrol Edge oil does NOT meet VW 50700 specs. - Audi Forums

Castrol's response to OP on the Audi forum:

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America,

The Castrol Edge product that we formulate here in North America is not to
be mistaken for the European Castrol Edge product. Our Castrol Edge product
is a completely different formula that contains a different mix of base oils
and additives and it does not meet any Volkswagen engine warranty
requirements.

Castrol SLX Professional LL03 is formulated for Volkswagen vehicles, is a
fully synthetic engine oil and meet the following specifications:

SLX Professional LL03 SAE 5w-30
* VW 504 00, 507 00
* ACEA A3, B4, C3

Castrol SLX Professional LL03 is a branded product only available for
purchase in North America through Volkswagen dealerships.

Castrol Consumer Relations"

Seems my concerns have been validated about the N. American Castrol not being acceptable for the G. (I am sure it is still OK to use, but it is just not within vW spec for the LP560).

The response from Castrol to my phone call is consitent with what the letter above says also. They DO NOT recommend use of Canadian or US Castrol. Only Euro castrol, meeting the full synthetic 504 spec.

That also explains why I could not find Euro Castrol oils (except 0w-30) in stores like Walmart, Canadian Tire, Costco, and other retailers.

I will be visiting the VW dealer after Christmas...

2012 LP 560-4 orange e-gear coupe (sold)
2004 LP-140 orange e-gear coupe (sold)
Old 12-24-2011, 08:56 PM

I am using 5w-30 Mobil 1, Extended Performance. For better or worse. $9.00/qt.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterkatt View Post
I am using 5w-30 Mobil 1, Extended Performance. For better or worse. $9.00/qt.
You might as well order Motul VW 504.00.......

I wonder what the lamborghini dealers put in the G????? Has anyone asked their dealer what they fill with???
Old 12-24-2011, 09:04 PM

Autozone oil?
Old 12-25-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterkatt View Post
Autozone oil?

If you are referring is Motul an Autozone oil, that is not. You would have to order online.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn-r-us View Post

If you are referring is Motul an Autozone oil, that is not. You would have to order online.
I think that was a jab at the dealerships making rediculous markups.
'70 Dodge Charger
Hummer H1
Dodge Ram
Ducati 999S
and a few other motorcycles.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in