Aftermarket Stereo Install Made easy. Kinda - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2013, 01:31 PM

Gallery: 0
Default Aftermarket Stereo Install Made easy. Kinda

Frankly, it isn't that easy and its not that hard.

The best stereo in my G is the glorious V10 in the back. However, I wanted a backup camera and didn't like the cluttered look of a cassette with a stereo input for my Iphone. So onward I went looking for an easy way to get this in my car.

There is no Lamborghini specific car harness. Car stereo places will usually have no idea what fits in the car.

But, there is hope.

The closest car to my 2005 is a 2002-2006 Audi A4/S4 with a Symphony II head unit without Bose and without REAR speakers.

If you buy the harness and antenna adapter (read on before you buy the antenna connector) for that Audi, you will be pretty close. There is no direct plug and play adaptor for our cars. You will have to dig around and splice for, at least, one wire. If you want illumination control, you will have to dig and splice for two wires.

Don't be fooled by the CAN harnesses available for Audi's. Although the Gallardo has a CAN system (this is how the radio station is displayed on the dash eg) Audi's have RCA outputs for an external amplifier which the Gallardo's don't have.

I don't have the Lamborghini navigation unit. If you do, and still want to add an aftermarket radio, then your system is more likely to have an Audi RNS-E navigation radio. The rest you will have to do the research like I did for the Symphony II.

I won't go into too many details, I'll try to stay Lamborghini specific and I'll try to show you the steps that made me scratch my head, so they can help you problem solve your system.

You will need four Audi removal tools. And with the harness you buy for that audi, it will have two harness. As I found out later, with much work and research, you will only use one of those harnesses.

With those audi removal tools, they kept slipping out of the slots when I tried to pull the radio out. I found out, after pulling the radio out by partially disassembling the dash, that if you put a small downward bend in the tools, they were more likely to stay in the radio and letting you pull it out.

The curved side of the tool goes towards the middle of the radio. When you pull on those tool/tabs, the radio will, not easily for me, come out.

The money shot.

You will see that the back of the radio has three harnesses. One is for the CAN system directly(the top one), the other has the speaker outputs, and the other has the power wires. NOTE that there is no ignition or illumination wire on ANY of these harnesses. There are other wires that were completely undecipherable to me. I assume they somehow interact with the CAN system.

Also of BIG NOTE, there are TWO antenna hook ups to the Symphony II.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 01:35 PM

There were many wires that could not be used in the aftermarket harness I bought. To name a few, there is no power antenna, ign, illum, rear speakers, steering wheel, etc...

I didn't want a bunch of loose wires so I removed the tabs from the harness I wouldn't use.

Before:

After:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:42 PM

I found my ignition wire here, in one of the harnesses to the window switches:

As I wanted an illumination wire as well, so I don't get blinded at night, I went off of the right rear side marker. I tapped this wire before to put LED lights in my engine compartment. As I'm adding a rearview camera, I was already in that vicinity.

Labeling is nice incase I ever have to go back in and change something.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:51 PM

Next is the antenna. Most shops will sell you something like this:

Antenna Adapter Works with select 1994-up Volkswagen and Audi vehicles (Motorola male to OEM antenna female) at Crutchfield.com

It won't work the best. Apparently our cars have multiple antenna's and there are multiple inputs that the radio deciphers to make sure it uses the best and strongest signal.

I was only able to find it in one place. The guys at enfig.

You need this:

Next, hook it all up and enjoy. You will also have to make some sort of dash finishing pieces to make it all look pretty. That is my last phase.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:27 PM

Nice job as always. U getting a cf bezel I presume? Bluetooth?

I have not had the desire to do this since I am used to backing up after 3 yrs. it was scary at first.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravill View Post
Next is the antenna. Most shops will sell you something like this:

Antenna Adapter Works with select 1994-up Volkswagen and Audi vehicles (Motorola male to OEM antenna female) at Crutchfield.com

It won't work the best. Apparently our cars have multiple antenna's and there are multiple inputs that the radio deciphers to make sure it uses the best and strongest signal.

I was only able to find it in one place. The guys at enfig.

You need this:

Next, hook it all up and enjoy. You will also have to make some sort of dash finishing pieces to make it all look pretty. That is my last phase.

Just wonder is there anyone out there fit this one to gallardo yet?
Lamborghini Gallardo Autoradio DVD GPS, Gallardo Radio DVD
Old 08-14-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djantlive View Post
Nice job as always. U getting a cf bezel I presume? Bluetooth?

I have not had the desire to do this since I am used to backing up after 3 yrs. it was scary at first.
Thanks man!

I wanted to get the MACarbon bezel, but it won't fit the head unit I bought. It's huge! It completely fills the vertical space, I only need to fabricate the sides. And yes, it has bluetooth. It was WWWAAAYYY cool to hear my music start playing without any wires!

I'll post some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianormok View Post
Just wonder is there anyone out there fit this one to gallardo yet?
Lamborghini Gallardo Autoradio DVD GPS, Gallardo Radio DVD
All you need are the input schematics to it.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:37 PM

I know you like to fabricate and you can make it for a lot less!!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 PM

Ha! You KNOW I do! LOL
Old 08-14-2013, 08:22 PM

What unit did you buy? I just bought the new Kenwood DNN990HD and use the MaCarbon Carbon surround, came out well....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (155.8 KB, 315 views)

Last edited by djastral69; 08-14-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in