'04 Gallardo VVT Valve Issue? Common? Other things to test? - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2019, 11:17 PM

Gallery: 0
Default '04 Gallardo VVT Valve Issue? Common? Other things to test?

Earlier this year I bought/rescued an '04 6speed Gallardo (something I've wanted since they came out, well before I had the means to pursue one) and have been catching it up on some deferred maintenance and generally trying to put things back right from being "lambro-ed" a bit. After an entertaining start, I'm down to about 3 warnings: marker lights, brake wear warning, and a CEL for what I think translates to the intake VVT misbehaving.

The codes point to the intake side VVT valves on both banks. Is this a common issue? Are there any things I should test before just throwing parts at it? I have the shop manual but it is, how you say, "useless" with respect to troubleshooting flow. lol. I've been spoiled with Honda/Acura literature.

Thanks in advance, I've lurked these forums for years and there is a wealth of knowledge here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 11:24 PM

I just recently bought an ‘06 and twice now, a bit more than 1 week apart, it has thrown CEL with codes 1366 and 1368, which is intake VVT on banks 1 & 2 respectively.

First time it happened, it went away the next AM, and my performance shop put it on the real-time computer and everything looked spot on, so we dismissed the codes as phantom.

After that, I drove the car to Vegas and back (4 hours each way through desert & mountain 90+ heat) and not a hint of trouble.

Almost exactly 1 week later, on the same uphill road, the car did exactly the same thing. After confirming the codes were the same, I cleared them myself last night, and today no issues.

I had done a little research the first time it happened and I found a couple others who had posted that “ghost codes” like this can happen now and then.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-21-2019, 11:33 PM

Thanks for the data point! These codes, like yours, have been on and off a bit, but definitely more persistent in my case vs what you describe. If I'm interpreting the diagrams correctly the offending valves are not hard to get to or expensive (relatively). I just want to make sure it's not something seemingly unrelated like a vacuum line out of place or some potential oil flow issue that I really need to be concerned about.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:16 AM

On the break-pad wear: you'll find a lot of posts on how to fix it. I fixed mine in the spring (bad connector on RF), then it came on again two weeks ago. This time it was a broken wire in the LF harness.

Some advise: always wait until the light is on continuously, otherwise it is hard to find an intermittent fault.

Basically this fault will in my mind always come back, because they use 22-gage wire
Old 10-22-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincep99 View Post
On the break-pad wear: you'll find a lot of posts on how to fix it. I fixed mine in the spring (bad connector on RF), then it came on again two weeks ago. This time it was a broken wire in the LF harness.

Some advise: always wait until the light is on continuously, otherwise it is hard to find an intermittent fault.

Basically this fault will in my mind always come back, because they use 22-gage wire
Thanks for the info, that's what I was afraid of. I'd debated just defeating the sensors somehow to turn the light off. I'm a track nerd so I'll give myself a little credit in not being oblivious enough to wear pads to the backing plates without knowing it.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:27 AM

I agree with your philosophy: even tho I don't track my cars anymore, I check the pads at least at every oil change. Also, although i was able to find replacement front pads with sensors, I would have had to go OEM (~ $800) for the rears, so I bypassed those anyway.

There are two ways to bypass:
1. Under the dash (there are a couple of threads here how to do that)
2. AT the left-front wheel (connect pin 1 to ground)

Method #1 is surer because with #2 you still have the chance that the wire from the ECU to LF breaks.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:43 PM

You might want to search for Audi V8s having the same valve issues since this engine is based off the audi V8s.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:19 AM

Default '04 Gallardo VVT Valve Issue? Common? Other things to test?

My 06 car just threw the same 2 VVT CEL codes today for the 3rd time... with my wife and I driving back from the same mall each time, on that same road, in the same spot each time, after buying something at LV... each time.

I’ve driven ALONE on that same road with no new LV products inside the car at least twice.... and no CEL.

*cue the theme from The X Files*

Last edited by octechnologist; 10-25-2019 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:10 AM

The truth is out there.....

Plug in an OBDII code reader and read the Freeze Frame conditions where the codes were set. Obviously they will be the same or similar, but the temps, throttle position, O2 readings etc may give you a clue.

(probably can't detect LV presence though)
Old 10-25-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octechnologist View Post
My 06 car just threw the same 2 VVT CEL codes today for the 3rd time... with my wife and I driving back from the same mall each time, on that same road, in the same spot each time, after buying something at LV... each time.

I’ve driven ALONE on that same road with no new LV products inside the car at least twice.... and no CEL.

*cue the theme from The X Files*
I swear mechanical jealously is real. The number of times I'm working on one car and a minimum of one other decides to "throw a fit" is uncanny, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Gallardo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in