Solve your Diablo Elect Problem permanently - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Diablo

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 05:38 AM

Gallery: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to madlyhs
Post Solve your Diablo Elect Problem permanently

As you know most of us experienced voltage problem with our lambos and by reading most of the topic posted on this site dealing with issues .

Many pointed out that it is a grounding issue and some even run cables directly to the window motor to get the window to open /close quicker. Others looked for alternative voltage source and powered their instrument so that the gauges read more accurate namely Voltage & Temp reading.

I was not convinced that the issue was poor grounding or overloaded connections so I searched the net for answers and I found the answer that I was looking for

What I know the car is equipped with a Porsche 928 alt which is rated 115Amps (I am not sure if that is hot or cold).

Car load I do not know that but if I add all the fuses in the car that should give me some idea so all fuses added up almost 420Amps !!!!

Ok that is way more than the Alt can handle I guess this is why voltage is dropping when light are on and if the car is on for a while the Alt output will even drop more due to heat which means the alt output will drop by almost 40Amps. In this case 115Amps will be 75Amps only if the 115amps is the cold rating .

For argument sake let assume the load is 50% as not everything electrical in the car is on all the same time so the car load will be 420/2 = 210Amps

With this I came to the conclusion the current Alt is not capable in handling the car load and that I need to replace my Alt .

The answer was High Output Alternators
So I contacted few but did not get a reply but Dennis from http://www.mechman.com/alt.htm was very helpful and provided me with a 240Amps Cold & 200Amps Hot with the correct engine housing brackets ( FYI Alt part is # 20-300-43G-1G) .

I just completed the install the Voltage reading @ idle was almost 14volts which I am sure none of you seen that needle near that 14V (check out the pictures) .
And with all the lights on the voltage drop to 13V but if I slightly increase the RPM the voltage will again be near the 14volts point

I am very happy as my Electrical problem is solved permanently and it only cost me $ 694 including shipping .

I just wanted to share this with you incase you guys are interested in doing the same
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24a0Amps Alt copy1.jpg (83.4 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg 240Amps Alt rear view copy2.jpg (58.8 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg Cables gauge zero copy3.jpg (78.9 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg Old & New Alt copy4.jpg (53.9 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg cables installed copy45.jpg (72.2 KB, 304 views)

Last edited by madlyhs; 11-06-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2006, 05:40 AM

More pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cables connected to bat copy5.jpg (44.4 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg alt install1 copy6.jpg (42.9 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg alt install2 copy7.jpg (44.7 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg 240Amps alt installed & connected copy7x.jpg (42.2 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg 240amps copy8.jpg (58.0 KB, 307 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:43 AM

Last picture with all lights on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 240amps with all lights on copy9.jpg (36.7 KB, 312 views)

Old 11-06-2006, 06:31 AM

Thats very interesting, thanks for the information.

A larger alternator will also be able to put your battery back to or near full charge much more quickly than before, will also help to prolong the life of your battery. Easiest way to kill a battery is persistent over or under charging.

On the stock alternator there is a cover on the back end with a tube that carries air to cool the thing. Do you think there could be a problem keeping the new bigger unit cool ?

Mike
Old 11-06-2006, 07:34 AM
Gold Site Supporter

Gallery: 46

That is great but be careful and watch things closely. I had a 200 amp alternator created for the jalpa. The bench tested it with the wire gauge that I have from the Alternator to the ignition box and the wires melted. I opted for them to make it 115 amp. I could have run all new wires but did't want the down time and lose another summer. Please watch it. Let is run and then feel the wires to make sure that they are not hot or melted.......
Old 11-06-2006, 08:45 AM

I am very interested in doing this upgrade. How long have you driven your car with this alternator? Thanks for sharing!!

"So I contacted few but did not get a reply but Dennis from http://www.mechman.com/alt.htm was very helpful and provided me with a 240Amps Cold (Alt part# 20-300-43G-1G) & 200Amps Hot with the right brackets"

What do you mean when you say "hot with the right brackets"?

Last edited by silvergts1998; 11-06-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Thats very interesting, thanks for the information.

On the stock alternator there is a cover on the back end with a tube that carries air to cool the thing. Do you think there could be a problem keeping the new bigger unit cool ?

Mike
The new Alt will get hot that is for sure and that will drop it by 40 Amps thus 200Amps . I will Check to see if i can fit a tube to carry air to cool the Alt

detour_racing- I have new cables that came with the Alt which are connected direclty to the Batt and they are over 300Amps rated and they are so far good.

silvergts1998- I just did the install today and i just got back after three hour drive in the night time with all lights on and everything is PERFECT

The new Alt has a shorter frame and thus Dennis supplied me with the bracket in order to install it in the Diablo enigne housing to make it fit .

The ALT is rated 240Amps cold & 200Amps when the Alt is hot ( I have no idea what temp is categorized cold/hot but i guess after driving the car for a while that will make the Alt Hot thus delivering 200Amps Only

Thnx
Old 11-06-2006, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the update.

I think I will do this upgrade myself too. I will fambercate some kind of cover that will allow cool air to the alternator.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Silver Supporter
Silver Site Supporter

Gallery: 15
Send a message via AIM to abunawafff

sooooooo is this the part were i say " i told u so"

loooool

this is the first thing i do when buying a diablo with stock atlernator... and it works every time

cool pics
Old 11-06-2006, 03:37 PM

Alterstart rebuilt and improved my original alternator. It is not quite as powerful (180 amps cold 150 amps hot), but it is still the original housing. I upgraded the positive cable and everything works great. The cost was about $500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Diablo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in