Garage lighting to show off new Lambo - Page 4 - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > General Lamborghini Related Discussion

General Lamborghini Related Discussion For General Lambo Topics.

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2019, 11:12 PM

Gallery: 0

Sounds good. Look forward to your post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxwax View Post
Ah sorry guys, Iíve been on a shoot for a few days. It finishes tomorrow so I will have another post in a couple days to show you how you can get car commercial lighting in your own garage.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 12:14 AM

Looking forward to seeing it.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:08 PM

Hi Zax!

(I tried to PM you this message, but your box is full)

I was wondering if you have time to give an update on the garage lighting?

I found these bulbs and was wondering if these would provide an even distribution of light.

https://store.waveformlighting.com/c...ions/a19-bulbs

I'm looking for a setup that is fairly straightforward.

Hope all is well and work is not keeping you too busy!

Look forward to your reply.

My lambo will be here in less than 4 weeks!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Old 08-22-2019, 01:27 AM

I’m sorry these have been taking me awhile, things are busy here but I banged this out on a flight today, hopefully it makes sense

OK

So we have covered temperature and CRI. To recap

The higher the CRI the better. 90 is prob the acceptable minimum, 93 and above is great.

3200K (Kelvin) - Tungsten (original light bulbs with tungsten filaments). Sometimes called warm white.
5500K - Daylight

It’s entirely a preference thing, 3200K might be what you think of as night time or interior lighting. 80s movies that had garage scenes were lit 3200K. It’s a warm glowing light.

On the other hand, 5500 gives you bright clean daylight and will match how your car looks outside in the daylight.

You can figure out your preference by buying a couple high CRI light bulbs in those temperatures and taking them out to your garage in the dark. Turn off all the other lights and using one color temperature at a time, decide which one feels right to you.

If you don’t mind spending more money, they do make dual temp lighting so you could have both or even dial in your own preferred temperature. Usually you give up some brightness since every other LED will be a different temperature.

So the next dimension of light we control is hard or soft light.

A hard light is a single point source, like a flashlight. It throws a very clear and distinct shadow. Only parts of the object are lit. If you’re in your garage with a single light bulb lighting up your car, that is essentially hard light. The light source is small, the rays come from a single point. Hard light is rarely flattering, it emphasizes lines and angles. In some conditions this can be dramatic but we rarely use it in product photography.

A soft light is a large light source. An example of this is a completely overcast day. Soft light is used for most product photography and a lot of portrait photography. Most apple commercials use a lovely soft light. The light outside just after the sun goes below the horizon is very soft. In general it’s flattering and is easy on the eyes. The larger the light source, the softer the light. Because the light comes from a big fixture, the shadows are softer as light rays that cast a shadow are balanced by light rays from the other side of the fixture. One caveat; not only is the relative size of the light important to the soft or hardness, the proximity of the light to the subject matters. The closer the light, the bigger it is relative to the subject. The sun is gigantic but because it’s so far away it acts like a hard light, so at high noon, we have harsh shadows.

What happens in many garages is several can lights. Can lights are a hard light, but by using several of them, it offsets the hardness of the single light and approximates a soft light. It’s not a true soft light however, when you put something under multiple can lights you get multiple shadows instead of the soft shadowing that a true soft light will bring. Something like an antenna will cast multiple distinct shadows.

When doing car photography, I almost always recommend soft light.

Now to get back to something we mentioned before, cars in general are reflective. So not only do we have to worry about the color of the light, the CRI and the softness we know we will most likely see the light fixture reflected in the car. This is called a specular reflection. Then we may end up having the shape of the light fixture fighting the lines of the car. If we want to see only the lines of the car, we need a light fixture that is bigger than the car itself. I ran out of time to shoot some examples for you, so I grabbed a couple images off the internet.

So there are two images here, one a lovely Aventador shot commercially and the second image is how they shot it. You can see the principles we have discussed. The light source is larger than the itself. You can see how beautiful the light is, the way it wraps around the car. It lets the car be the focus, without any distracting reflections. Since the light source is larger than the car, we don’t see the light source. If you send me a picture of your car in your garage I can probably tell you what kind of lights you have because I can see them reflected in the car. In the picture of the aventador you don’t see the lights, you see the car.

This image is lit with a single large softbox, placed just out of camera frame. This is done because the closer we get to the car, the smaller the softbox can be. Remember it is the size of the light relative to the size of the object. I can light a toy car with a 1 foot x 1 foot softbox.

Now of course, you don’t want a giant softbox in your garage. But, this kind of lighting is now achievable without the softbox. There’s a couple ways to do this. Not everyone wants or needs this kind of lighting but if your garage is a showroom and you want the pictures your guests take with their phone to look like a car commercial, then read on.

The most obvious way is to simply line your entire ceiling with dimmable light panels. Your entire ceiling becomes the light. There are edge lit LED panels that you can tile your ceiling with. A slightly more affordable option is to tile the panels together into a large panel that is larger than your car, similar to how they shot the aventador picture but just flush with your ceiling. The height of your ceiling will determine how big a panel you need to create. It would be preferable for the tile lines to be not visible or minimal. It’s not cheap to do this, but it is quite a bit cheaper than it used to be as LED emerges as a consumer technology.

The other way to approach this is to have a featureless and neutrally white ceiling and bounce powerful spotlights off the ceiling again turning the ceiling into a light source. Some care would need to be taken to ensure there are not hot spots. It would be trickier to achieve a perfect soft light like this but you could get pretty close. We use bounce lighting quite a bit in film and televison. You could mount the lights around the room above your eyeline so they don’t actually glare in your eyes.

If you are doing new construction and it’s in your budget, I would recommend using edge lit high CRI flat panels to create your light source. If you’re retrofitting it might be easier to use bounce light. I haven’t had time to do a lot of research into what kind of panels are easily available but I plan to order a couple panels from different companies and do my own tests for CRI, temp and reliability. This is getting into new territory so there’s not really an obvious turn key solution from a company with a track record I can recommend. I will keep researching however and share what I find here, I’ve found at least one company that makes what I’m talking about and I should be able to get a per sq feet cost. I would of course recommend you get dimmable panels and put the entire thing on dimmers. My guess is, if you did an entire ceiling and ran it at full power it would be too bright, which leads to something that requires more testing, not all dimmable LEDs look good when dimmed. Some of them use a kind of modulation to achieve dimness which translates as flicker. I do know the technology exists, we use it in film and TV but finding it on a scale for home installation is the challenge.

There is a third way to create the softbox ceiling that I will try to illustrate in a following post.

There is one more entirely different approach that I will detail in a following post for those of you that want a different look.

Please feel free to ask questions or for clarification. I know not everyone wants a garage that looks like a car commercial, but if you do, it’s actually possible now to achieve it at home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 222A1FEC-3465-49F2-A0E3-0B5F530B1DC7.jpg (31.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 305D920F-4DC4-4827-A37C-5050D52BC023.jpg (23.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by zaxwax; 08-22-2019 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:08 PM

First glance at the website looks good. I might order a couple and see how they compare to my cinema lights. I’m going to reach out to the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achawla10 View Post
Hi Zax!

(I tried to PM you this message, but your box is full)

I was wondering if you have time to give an update on the garage lighting?

I found these bulbs and was wondering if these would provide an even distribution of light.

https://store.waveformlighting.com/c...ions/a19-bulbs

I'm looking for a setup that is fairly straightforward.

Hope all is well and work is not keeping you too busy!

Look forward to your reply.

My lambo will be here in less than 4 weeks!!!

Last edited by zaxwax; 08-22-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:41 PM

Zaxwax: Thanks for the informtion, it is incredibly helpful. I don't think I will go so far as to do the LED panels, but instead get some high quality LED bulbs evenly distributed around the garage.

My question is, can I mix temperatures?
I want to use 2700K lights around the edge of the garage and then place 6500K over the car to make it sparkle.

Is this acceptable?

Thanks again for all of your help with this!

Quote:
First glance at the website looks good. I might order a couple and see how they compare to my cinema lights. Iím going to reach out to the company.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:31 PM

There’s no reason why you couldn’t do that. I’m not entirely sure what the result would be, you might try something like using a different kind of fixture for your perimeter lights like wall sconces and put them on a separate dimmer circuit. Or you could use some high quality rgb strips and use any color. You could certainly experiment with a couple light bulbs and see how they feel and if they give you the look you are visualizing. If you want to draw attention to your car as a visual focus you might consider some focused lights all aimed at the car. Hit me with a PM and I will give you my email so we could talk a bit more about this

Quote:
Originally Posted by achawla10 View Post
Zaxwax: Thanks for the informtion, it is incredibly helpful. I don't think I will go so far as to do the LED panels, but instead get some high quality LED bulbs evenly distributed around the garage.

My question is, can I mix temperatures?
I want to use 2700K lights around the edge of the garage and then place 6500K over the car to make it sparkle.

Is this acceptable?

Thanks again for all of your help with this!

Quote:
First glance at the website looks good. I might order a couple and see how they compare to my cinema lights. I’m going to reach out to the company.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:16 PM

I got the electric garage door installed last weekend. I went with black and wood color. The slates are made of hard styrofoam sandwiched between two aluminum plates. Very strong, sturdy, and lightweight. If you live in windy areas, these are the best. It opens very quickly but closes like a snail. Overall cost is around $15k for two doors.

I used dremel to cut and smoothen the emblems for the manual switch boxes. The emblems are from authentic lambo keychains. Just for the look 🙂

Next upgrade is probably a built in ceiling stereo systems, but I heard these produce terrible sound and especially my garage has terrible acoustics due to full concrete. There are zero sound damper in my garage.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:00 PM
Supporting Vendor

All you need is the right FLOOR Unedited iphone photo below. Lighting is standard filament here.

Edited, this will be with higher temp color. I've tried both and think I like the normal filament bulbs. The main thing is having enough light and not too little.
Stay tuned! Real carbon fiber remote keys, real carbon dash, real carbon paddle shifters, console pieces, real carbon SL wings, side skirts, engine panels, silicone intakes hoses, billet rocker switches for center of dash, LOC/Fabspeed exhausts, and OEM Lambo parts (Lambo tax kinda still applies for these)

Call or text 717-319-2100 24/7

Last edited by Jason B; 09-02-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
I got the electric garage door installed last weekend. I went with black and wood color. The slates are made of hard styrofoam sandwiched between two aluminum plates. Very strong, sturdy, and lightweight. If you live in windy areas, these are the best. It opens very quickly but closes like a snail. Overall cost is around $15k for two doors.

I used dremel to cut and smoothen the emblems for the manual switch boxes. The emblems are from authentic lambo keychains. Just for the look 🙂

Next upgrade is probably a built in ceiling stereo systems, but I heard these produce terrible sound and especially my garage has terrible acoustics due to full concrete. There are zero sound damper in my garage.

Hope this helps.
Looks good mate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > General Lamborghini Related Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in