Garage lighting to show off new Lambo - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > General Lamborghini Related Discussion

General Lamborghini Related Discussion For General Lambo Topics.

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2019, 06:11 PM

Gallery: 0
Default Garage lighting to show off new Lambo

Hi guys!
I continue to get my garage ready for my incoming Evo. I wanted to add some showroom style lighting and wondering if anyone has experience with type of bulb and layout (4 lights on the corners, just 2 overhead). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also - any place to get some nice automotive artwork to hang on the walls?

Thanks !
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2019, 11:07 PM

Be keen to hear what is best too.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:46 AM
Silver Supporter
Silver Site Supporter

Gallery: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce 94VT View Post
Be keen to hear what is best too.
I am also interested.

2017 Huracan Giallo Inti 610-4 Spyder :sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Huracan Blu Lemans 610-4 Spyder Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Gallardo Black 550-2 Spyder Sold

2008 Gallardo Black Spyder Sold
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Old 08-04-2019, 02:12 AM

My lighting shows up every scuff and swirl. I’m keen to change mine.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:16 AM

I know it's not an EVO but a printing place could make this.
https://canvasinhouse.com/products/l...EaAidGEALw_wcB
As far as light goes you could do a lot with these
https://www.amazon.com/Dimmable-Cont...47080749&psc=1
Old 08-04-2019, 08:18 AM

Ok this one is in my wheelhouse. I will try to explain this but might need to upload some examples later so it makes sense. Basically think of your car as a car shaped mirror. When you look at your car it reflects the space it’s in. If you had a chrome sphere you would see your garage walls and ceiling in it. Any picture of a car is a picture of the space it’s in. So whatever you put in your ceiling will be seen on the car. When lighting a reflective object that we want to show the lines of we use a light source bigger than the object, so for a car we would use a light source 20 feet by 15 feet. This makes it so you see the lines of the car and not the space it’s in. A quick an easy way to get that kind of light is on an overcast day where the cloud cover itself is a nice soft diffuse light source. In a car commercial world the entire ceiling would light up evenly which would give you beautiful soft light allowing you to see the car. It’s possible to do this now, there are many cool new things that can be done with LEDs as that technology emerges. There are a lot of possibilities, ranging from continuous stripes across your garage (think car commercial in a tunnel) to indirect bounced lighting, to a diffused drop ceiling like this one from the Batman movies

https://www.google.com/search?q=batm...EYpBiP4XsnxcM:

You can use fluorescent tubes from the film and TV industry which require their own flicker free ballasts. The dominant company is kinoflo. It will be pricey but it’s a well proven technology. They will come in two colors, daylight and tungsten, which is 5500 kelvin for daylight and 3200 for tungsten. Daylight is bluish and tungsten refers to the filaments in original light bulbs which is warmer and yellowish. I would imagine most people would want daylight but it’s a preference.

There are some much more interesting alternatives in led technology as the field matures. A lot of led technology isn’t great and especially the cheaper stuff renders colors poorly. It might look ok to your eye since your brain adjusts but on camera it will have a color cast that is unpleasant and certain colors will look better than others. The simplest way to approach this is to look for led lights with a high CRI. You want a CRI with a minimum of 93. Not a lot of leds at Home Depot will meet this requirement. Again you will probably have to pull from the film and tv industry. LEDs also come in daylight or tungsten balance. Because of the new form factor of LEDs it’s possible to do very interesting things in very minimal space and they’re energy efficient and you don’t have to change them very often.

It’s not cheap but it wouldn’t be horribly expensive to design a garage lighting system that shows off your car beautifully. If there’s interest I might find some time to design some possible setups. It hasn’t been affordable until recently to do this kind of thing, but I’m expecting that shortly there will be a diversity of high end lighting options that weren’t previously possible.

Last edited by zaxwax; 08-04-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the great information mate.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:21 PM

This is what I did. Replaced the basic garage light bulbs with simple strip LED fixtures like what we have at our office building, and then I had an 8 foot Huracan GT3 wall art created which is also back lit with LED’s. Combined it really lights up the place and forwards the end of the night the wall picture stands out nicely. Spent maybe 5 or 6k overall. The long LED lights I could not do with out. We do a lot in our garage. Just wish it was bigger.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:26 PM

This is great information.

Do you have more specifics regarding the exact layout of bulbs and which to use?
Everything you said makes sense and I would love to have some lighting in my garage that does justice to the vehicle.

The kino Flo website has a lot of great stuff on it - but is a little overwhelming Thanks for all of your assistance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxwax View Post
Ok this one is in my wheelhouse. I will try to explain this but might need to upload some examples later so it makes sense. Basically think of your car as a car shaped mirror. When you look at your car it reflects the space itís in. If you had a chrome sphere you would see your garage walls and ceiling in it. Any picture of a car is a picture of the space itís in. So whatever you put in your ceiling will be seen on the car. When lighting a reflective object that we want to show the lines of we use a light source bigger than the object, so for a car we would use a light source 20 feet by 15 feet. This makes it so you see the lines of the car and not the space itís in. A quick an easy way to get that kind of light is on an overcast day where the cloud cover itself is a nice soft diffuse light source. In a car commercial world the entire ceiling would light up evenly which would give you beautiful soft light allowing you to see the car. Itís possible to do this now, there are many cool new things that can be done with LEDs as that technology emerges. There are a lot of possibilities, ranging from continuous stripes across your garage (think car commercial in a tunnel) to indirect bounced lighting, to a diffused drop ceiling like this one from the Batman movies

https://www.google.com/search?q=batm...EYpBiP4XsnxcM:

You can use fluorescent tubes from the film and TV industry which require their own flicker free ballasts. The dominant company is kinoflo. It will be pricey but itís a well proven technology. They will come in two colors, daylight and tungsten, which is 5500 kelvin for daylight and 3200 for tungsten. Daylight is bluish and tungsten refers to the filaments in original light bulbs which is warmer and yellowish. I would imagine most people would want daylight but itís a preference.

There are some much more interesting alternatives in led technology as the field matures. A lot of led technology isnít great and especially the cheaper stuff renders colors poorly. It might look ok to your eye since your brain adjusts but on camera it will have a color cast that is unpleasant and certain colors will look better than others. The simplest way to approach this is to look for led lights with a high CRI. You want a CRI with a minimum of 93. Not a lot of leds at Home Depot will meet this requirement. Again you will probably have to pull from the film and tv industry. LEDs also come in daylight or tungsten balance. Because of the new form factor of LEDs itís possible to do very interesting things in very minimal space and theyíre energy efficient and you donít have to change them very often.

Itís not cheap but it wouldnít be horribly expensive to design a garage lighting system that shows off your car beautifully. If thereís interest I might find some time to design some possible setups. It hasnít been affordable until recently to do this kind of thing, but Iím expecting that shortly there will be a diversity of high end lighting options that werenít previously possible.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:29 PM

Would these do the trick?

https://store.waveformlighting.com/c...15428718755942
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > General Lamborghini Related Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in