SVJ owner rants about supercar ownership and dealers - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Multi-Media > Lamborghini Video Links

Lamborghini Video Links Links to Lamborghini Videos

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2020, 10:58 PM

Gallery: 0
Default SVJ owner rants about supercar ownership and dealers

Does he have a point?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 12:20 AM

Well he sure repeated the same thing like 4X, so clearly he thinks he has a point.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-04-2020, 08:19 AM

It would have been handy to have subtitles, I only speak Texan.
From what I could understand he was upset because the dealer wouldn't buy his car back. Pretty sure they would, but not for the price he wanted and to expect a dealer to give your money back after you have bought the car and drove it is ludicrous.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:20 AM
Gold Site Supporter

This may be the case where he is and that's just unfortunate. Here, in the US, a dealer will absolutely take your trade. You might not love the number, but they'll definitely buy it.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2018 Mercedes G63
2007 BMW M5
2005 Jeep TJ
Old 03-04-2020, 08:58 AM

I think the key nuance in your post is “trade”.

Sounded to me as though he expects to walk into a dealer and have them buy a car back outright, which I’m sure can always happen if the price is right... but I got a sense that he’s looking to get a retail price back from the dealer.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:21 AM
Gold Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by octechnologist View Post
I think the key nuance in your post is “trade”.

Sounded to me as though he expects to walk into a dealer and have them buy a car back outright, which I’m sure can always happen if the price is right... but I got a sense that he’s looking to get a retail price back from the dealer.
A lot of dealers will still buy it back from you, but at a harsh trade number. Trade numbers are often inflated when buying another car since they make up the difference there. Dealers are in business to make money too, so if you want to dump your car to them and have them do all the work to sell it, they are entitled to their profit. Some people don't seem to understand that I guess. My mentality on this is I determine what I think is a fair profit number, and if its not met, i don't sell to them. I prefer to sell myself, but I have been known to trade in my car from time to time. That will change a lot in Illinois specifically that the trade tax credit has gone away.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2018 Mercedes G63
2007 BMW M5
2005 Jeep TJ

Last edited by Jr Mint; 03-04-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mint View Post
A lot of dealers will still buy it back from you, but at a harsh trade number. Trade numbers are often inflated when buying another car since they make up the difference there. Dealers are in business to make money too, so if you want to dump your car to them and have them do all the work to sell it, they are entitled to their profit. Some people don't seem to understand that I guess. My mentality on this is I determine what I think is a fair profit number, and if its not met, i don't sell to them. I prefer to sell myself, but I have been known to trade in my car from time to time. That will change a lot in Illinois specifically that the trade tax credit has gone away.
Some dealers are too greedy though. I've owned 3 brand new Lambos, my dealer has never taken my car in as a trade. My cars would have easily netted them $20k+ profit for what I was willing to trade in but they want to milk it and make $50k.

You guys in the US have it good because there's so many dealers. Here in Canada we only have 4 dealers, 2 of which are on opposite costs so when you have a monopoly you can do whatever you want.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:47 PM
Gold Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL55 View Post
Some dealers are too greedy though. I've owned 3 brand new Lambos, my dealer has never taken my car in as a trade. My cars would have easily netted them $20k+ profit for what I was willing to trade in but they want to milk it and make $50k.

You guys in the US have it good because there's so many dealers. Here in Canada we only have 4 dealers, 2 of which are on opposite costs so when you have a monopoly you can do whatever you want.
That's crazy....yes some are definitely greedy.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2018 Mercedes G63
2007 BMW M5
2005 Jeep TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Multi-Media > Lamborghini Video Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in