PPF on windscreen? - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Huracan

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2019, 05:57 PM

Gallery: 0
Default PPF on windscreen?

Hi

Who has installed PPF to their windscreen? Did you find it distorted and does it last long....I am thinking of doing this

Thanks

2016 Huracan 610-4 ( Verde Mantis )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Huracan Performante ( Verde Mantis )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2020 STO ( Verde ? )
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2019, 07:04 PM

Have it on all my cars and no distortion. Most of my driving is with cars that have big sticky tires that like to throw up rocks and it has saved my windshields many times. It will last a couple years or if it takes a bad hit can replace it. I heard 3m is now coming out with a better thicker protection that will have I think a 5 year warranty
2009 R8V8 Manual VF Supercharged
2012 R8V10 Manual VF Supercharged
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-23-2019, 08:20 PM
Gold Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Bull View Post
Have it on all my cars and no distortion. Most of my driving is with cars that have big sticky tires that like to throw up rocks and it has saved my windshields many times. It will last a couple years or if it takes a bad hit can replace it. I heard 3m is now coming out with a better thicker protection that will have I think a 5 year warranty
Are you using ClearPlex or something else?
2018 AMG C 63WS | designo Diamond White Metallic
Recently gone:
2018 AMG GTR | Green Hell Magno
2018 AMG GLA 45 | Night Black

Old 07-23-2019, 11:35 PM

I use one that was around $300-400 installed by a great shop. Looks great, no one would even know.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabo View Post
Hi

Who has installed PPF to their windscreen? Did you find it distorted and does it last long....I am thinking of doing this

Thanks
Do it Joe, I've had it done and am glad I did!
Old 07-24-2019, 07:38 AM
Gold Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamboTT View Post
I use one that was around $300-400 installed by a great shop. Looks great, no one would even know.
Brand please.
2018 AMG C 63WS | designo Diamond White Metallic
Recently gone:
2018 AMG GTR | Green Hell Magno
2018 AMG GLA 45 | Night Black
Old 07-24-2019, 11:05 PM

Thanks guys

I am going to book in and get it done

A windscreen would such a PITA if cracked

2016 Huracan 610-4 ( Verde Mantis )

2018 Huracan Performante ( Verde Mantis )

2020 STO ( Verde ? )
Old 07-25-2019, 05:27 AM

My PPF guy, he owns a Performante himself, recommends PPF on the windshield because the large windscreen is "prone" to damage according to him and there was once a 6 weeks waiting time for getting a new windscreen at my dealer.
However: In Germany, PPF on the windscreen is legally forbidden. I called my insurance (the largest insurance company in Germany) and talked to the technical service and they told me that of course it would save them a lot of money for replaced windscreen (they are covered by insurance in Germany) if PPF would be legal on the windscreen but their own tests and many others have indicated serious issues (not only distortion) he couldn't or didn't want to elaborate in detail. So I ask myself: If PPF on the windscreen would save the insurances millions per year, why aren't they legal in Germany? There must be a technical reason.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:48 AM

Be *very* careful in picking the right installer.

See previous (real) examples of their work, inperson. Check their online reviews (beware of fake posts). Get evidence of how many fittings they have done in the past year (current experience).

Ask for detail on what product and adhesive the installer will use. Analyze closely the product reviews online (look for fake posts).

Windscreen PPF has a very high failure rate. Don't throw your money away. It is very difficult to "get right". The film crinkles easily, peels off readily, traps dirt / debris in the corners, and often causes wiper judder at low or high speeds.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennteam View Post
My PPF guy, he owns a Performante himself, recommends PPF on the windshield because the large windscreen is "prone" to damage according to him and there was once a 6 weeks waiting time for getting a new windscreen at my dealer.
However: In Germany, PPF on the windscreen is legally forbidden. I called my insurance (the largest insurance company in Germany) and talked to the technical service and they told me that of course it would save them a lot of money for replaced windscreen (they are covered by insurance in Germany) if PPF would be legal on the windscreen but their own tests and many others have indicated serious issues (not only distortion) he couldn't or didn't want to elaborate in detail. So I ask myself: If PPF on the windscreen would save the insurances millions per year, why aren't they legal in Germany? There must be a technical reason.
That seems strange? In my state it's illegal to put tint on front windshield but no issue with clear PPF and No one would ever even notice it on my windshields. I have never had any wiper judder, just put ceramic coating over it and it wipes as if nothing is there. I found a local shop a few years ago to do my cars, cost is less than $200 and installs are perfect. I have probably sent about 2 dozen people to them over the years and every one of them has been happy with it
2009 R8V8 Manual VF Supercharged
2012 R8V10 Manual VF Supercharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Huracan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in