Huracan Evo rental review - Lamborghini Forum

homeFORUMSGARAGECALENDARADSSTAFFINFO
Go Back   Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Huracan

Lamborghini-Talk.com is the premier Lamborghini All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2019, 02:27 PM

Gallery: 0
Default Huracan Evo rental review

I was recently in Las Vegas and I rented a Lamborghini Huracan Evo from Royalty Exotics for several hours. Went on a long canyon drive around Lake Mead and thought Iíd post my thoughts about the car.

This is my first time driving a huracan. The performance, acceleration, and exhaust note were all superb as Iíd expected so Iím not going to focus on that. Instead Iím going to talk about what I thought were the biggest disappointments I had relative to my expectations after reading many reviews on the Huracan in all its various trims.

1. Steering feel. Leaving the parking lot I was shocked at how vague and overboosted the steering felt in strada mode. To put things in perspective I own a 2017 Lotus Evora 400. I consider the steering of that car, along with the Mclaren 600LT, which Iíve tracked, to be the best Iíve ever driven. These cars use hydraulic steering which sadly is becoming a relic these days. I also own a 2018 Porsche Panamera 4s(without Power Steering Plus) and a 2019 Corvette Grand Sport and the electric steering racks in these cars, while not quite up to par with their hydraulic peers, are still very good imo. The steering in the Evo, even in corsa mode, felt a step down from the corvette(in track mode). Sport mode was worse than corsa, and strada felt like I was driving a truck. Iím going to attribute this to the dynamic steering which now comes standard on the Evo, and thatís disappointing given how the reviews Iíve read all say the dynamic steering has been much improved over past iterations. Now I need to find a Performante with the standard steering to drive and compare.

2. Strada throttle input. During the highway portion of my drive I found strada most comfortable given the suspension and reduced engine drone. Yet I found that when driving at highway speeds in automatic mode, the car would not downshift to accelerate unless I had the pedal at full throttle. Even at 90% pedal pressure the car would stay in 7th gear. Only I went full throttle did you get the violent downshift to 3rd and full power. So you can either have 15% engine power or 100% in strada but with no granularity in between. I know you can shift manually yourself but it was annoying nonetheless.

3. The new touchscreen is a straight up safety hazard. The NHTSA needs to have a rule limiting how far a display screen can be from the windshield. The Evo would be in violation of this rule. When looking at the touchscreen, its so far down that you have minimal peripheral vision of the road. I would sneak glances at it during the drive to see where I was on the GPS, but I felt I would drive off the road if I tried to actually interact with it and start pushing buttons.

If I sound overly negative, its because I had such high expectations going in and was potentially considering buying an Evo. It has the best exhaust note of any car I've driven, is the best looking car on the market imo, and it was an extremely enjoyable three hours. Comfort and visibility were just fine, which had been a concern of mine going into the drive. Its the lukewarm steering feel thatís a dealbreaker for me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 02:59 PM
Gold Site Supporter

Agree 100% on point number 3. That's the deal breaker for me.
2018 AMG C 63WS | designo Diamond White Metallic
Recently gone:
2018 AMG GTR | Green Hell Magno
2018 AMG GLA 45 | Night Black
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-02-2019, 03:14 PM

The issue with the touch screen is it was an afterthought and it doesn't work with the current designer of the H interior If it was mounted higher like the Aventador screen it would be ok but basically the screen is so low that you have to look down every time you need to change something.

It's also beyond me why Lambo never included audio controls on the steering wheel like the Aventador. It would make life so much easier if you had controls on the back of the steering wheel.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huracaan View Post
The issue with the touch screen is it was an afterthought and it doesn't work with the current designer of the H interior If it was mounted higher like the Aventador screen it would be ok but basically the screen is so low that you have to look down every time you need to change something.

It's also beyond me why Lambo never included audio controls on the steering wheel like the Aventador. It would make life so much easier if you had controls on the back of the steering wheel.
There are volume controls on the steering wheel. They're right there! They are big, column mounted, and easy to hit, labeled "-" and "+". You hit the left one to increase volume and the right one to decrease volume.

Oh you mean like stereo? Pssh, what's that...
Old 12-02-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Its the lukewarm steering feel that’s a dealbreaker for me.
I think it's unfair to comparing the street version of the Huracan to the track version of the 570S. It's simply not apples to apples.

I totally agree with you that the 600LT steering feel is great, it's absolutely top shelf. But it's also a track focused car... It's meant to be a razo sharp tool you experience in short bursts on perfect roads. The EVO is meant to be a street cruiser you could daily and on occasion drive on the track.

The Lotus Evora 400 is very similar to the 600LT in that it's far more on the track side of things, than on the street side. So I think you as a person are looking for a track car as your toy, not a cruiser. The EVO is almost a GT.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:12 PM
Silver Supporter
Silver Site Supporter

You can switch it so screen can display next to speedo in the cluster.
2014 BMW M5
2007 BMW M5
2017 MB GLE350
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 12-02-2019, 11:37 PM

Lamborghini steering is an acquired taste. Especially in the Huracan. I've found that sport mode is the preferred mode while shifting manually. The suspension is compliant enough where you're not bouncing around in the car over bumps.

When steering this car. Before you go into a corner you have to break hard ride into the corner and accelerate out. It isn't like Porsche where you can ride in and the car will go round. There's a different mind set one has to carry when driving a Huracan. I'm afraid a four hour rental isn't going to allow you to unlock the car fully. I didn't feel comfortable in the car until I took my first long distance road trip.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mint View Post
You can switch it so screen can display next to speedo in the cluster.
Are you sure about this? I thought they dumped this feature with the EVO, at least when it comes to displaying the street map, which is no longer possible as far as I know (I haven't tried an EVO yet).
You only get the small arrow navigation in the EVO, no?
Old 12-03-2019, 06:06 AM

If you like strada mode in highway to reduce engine drone & you like Panamera....EVO is just so not for you. I literally drooled all over the corsa mode in highway just to blast that awesome engine & exhaust note. EVO is all around great supercar. No disrespect to Panamera or Corvette, that cars aren't in the same class as EVO.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:35 AM
Silver Supporter
Silver Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi View Post
Are you sure about this? I thought they dumped this feature with the EVO, at least when it comes to displaying the street map, which is no longer possible as far as I know (I haven't tried an EVO yet).
You only get the small arrow navigation in the EVO, no?
I actually am not sure about this, perhaps a bit presumptuous of me. Can anyone chime in that has one?
2014 BMW M5
2007 BMW M5
2017 MB GLE350
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lamborghini Forum > Discussion Groups > Model Specific Discussions > Huracan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lamborghini Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
**Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter ONLY vowel letters in the word: Lamborghini
Full Name
Your Full REAL Name
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in