Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm curious as to what the yearly costs of owning a Lamborghini Huracan are.

I'm talking about in addition to the ~$200,000 price tag, like gas, maintenance, insurance, etc.

I believe this will give me a clearer financial goal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you have to worry about yearly maintenance, then you probably shouldn't be purchasing a $200+k car.

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
14,011 Posts
My costs are $0, besides fuel of course. It would depend of how much you drive it, and whether it is new or used etc.

·
Registered
749 Posts
If you have to worry about yearly maintenance, then you probably shouldn't be purchasing a $200+k car.
This is the dreamers forum, he asked a decent question (except the insurance part, because that varies so much).

Maybe he makes $8mil a month but is new to the world of cars and doesn't know what the maintenance would be. You don't know his situation.

The old 'if you have to ask, you can't afford it' is one of the worst things in any situation. Say you roll into a watch store and you want to buy a rolex. You know you can afford it, you have $14billion sitting in your checking account, right? So you ask the guy behind the counter, 'how much for that one?' He replies 'If you have to ask, you can't afford it' So, now what you do? You have no idea how much you are supposed to pay, you can't buy the watch unless you get a price, but you can't ask for the price because that only means you can't afford it.....right?

So......maybe try being a little helpful, or stay out of this forum where us peasants play.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
It depends a lot on the age and mileage of the car. Older cars like mine are quite expensive . Russ has no maintenance because he buys a new one every year or two and keeps it under warranty. However he has the cost of trading up every few years. It probably cost at least ten to 15 percent a year to trade up. I would say that at least 10 percent of the cost of the car is realistic. Insurance alone can be a substantial portion of that depending on your age, credit score, driving history and whether you own multiple cars on the same policy. Also the minimum liability requirements are not near enough to protect you if you get in an accident that is your fault. If you own a lambo and get in a wreck, you better be protected or plan for litigation. They will see Lambo and see $$$$. Raising minimums increases the cost of insurance substantially. Maintenance is not that expensive until something breaks. Then it is astronomical. That is why you budget extra money so when it happens you can afford to fix it. I agree with GDF in that if it is going to be a stretch to spend 20K a year then you should probably not buy one.These are not like a chevy or ford where you buy a new one, change the oil and drive it with ins of 100 per month. Many people buy them calculating just the payment then get slammed with the incidental costs.If you can pay cash or a large portion of it for the car then you can probably afford it. Even if you don't spend the cash but have it then that makes it more practical. I rarely finance toys. I will only do it if I really don't need to borrow, put a very large down pmt and pay off in a year . Lee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Insurance 2-3 K and service about the same depending on which year! So 4-6 k a year! That is excluding gas and unexpected electronic or mechanical failure cost if no warrenty

·
Registered
702 Posts
To be clear, I said "If you have to worry about yearly maintenance...". I also didn't realize this was a Dreamers post so my bad on that.

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
It depends a lot on the age and mileage of the car. Older cars like mine are quite expensive . Russ has no maintenance because he buys a new one every year or two and keeps it under warranty. However he has the cost of trading up every few years. It probably cost at least ten to 15 percent a year to trade up. I would say that at least 10 percent of the cost of the car is realistic. Insurance alone can be a substantial portion of that depending on your age, credit score, driving history and whether you own multiple cars on the same policy. Also the minimum liability requirements are not near enough to protect you if you get in an accident that is your fault. If you own a lambo and get in a wreck, you better be protected or plan for litigation. They will see Lambo and see $$$$. Raising minimums increases the cost of insurance substantially. Maintenance is not that expensive until something breaks. Then it is astronomical. That is why you budget extra money so when it happens you can afford to fix it. I agree with GDF in that if it is going to be a stretch to spend 20K a year then you should probably not buy one.These are not like a chevy or ford where you buy a new one, change the oil and drive it with ins of 100 per month. Many people buy them calculating just the payment then get slammed with the incidental costs.If you can pay cash or a large portion of it for the car then you can probably afford it. Even if you don't spend the cash but have it then that makes it more practical. I rarely finance toys. I will only do it if I really don't need to borrow, put a very large down pmt and pay off in a year . Lee
I think you’re being generous with 10-15%! I would say 20-25%.

If you have a good Indy, factor 200 a year for oil change, 200 every other year for brake fluid. 5 yr or 15k mike service around $2-2500. If anything breaks and you are without warranty, depends what breaks. These cars are solid though. Gas, well that depends on how much you drive, and insurance costs me $1008 dollars per year on my Huracan with a $250k stated value. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Sorry bcash but I think 6 k is way understated unless you are talking about a new car under warranty and allowing nothing for depreciation. Those of us looking at our net worth look at depreciation and cost of ownership. I own a small fleet of large construction equipment. You can buy new and take a large depreciation hit every year with little maintenance costs or buy used and get hit with high maintenance costs.Either way it is a real expense. The downside to buying new is that in a crash, a 300K machine can drop to 100K overnight. Then the used machine is a way better option. I own multiples of both for various reasons. The same thing can happen to lambo prices. In a crash, we could easily see Hurracans at 100k and Gs in the 60s and 70s. If you owe 160 or 170 on a huracan and things crash, you could be in a heap of trouble. That is why I pay cash or put up huge downpayments. It will happen. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week , next year or in 5 years. It is impossible to predict and it ALWAYS happens.Therefore if you are only counting the Payment and not the real cost of ownership you are being foolish. I agree with JR mint. The REAL cost is probably 20%. Never think of a car payment as a payment. It is a loan you committed to for XXXXX. You owe it regardless of the economy or your personal situation. Be conservative and buy what you can easily afford. That way when calamity strikes you can survive. Lee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry Lee I meant 5-6 k excluding depreciation! For most people they don’t count depreciation when they buy a car and ask about yearly cost!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok just got quoted 7 K for a 2018 Hurracan for insurance. How are you guys getting 1-3K insurance prices? I'm very interested in knowing what sort of policies your have (ie - replacement?), carriers, etc...

And presumably i'm the lowest risk type of drive r- 0 points on my license, 0 accident history, exceptional credit score.

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
I pay 1200 a year on my Huracan with Cincinnati Insurancd. I have an exhibition policy with 4K miles per year restriction and a stated value of $250k on my 2015 610.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, I'll give you my cost so far after 11 months of owning a 2013 Gallardo Performante with 10,700 miles:

Insurance: VA with StatFarm. I'm 44 and have a good driving record. $1,582 a year
Personal property tax in VA (of course it varies by state). I just paid $5,300 for a year (yikes!)
Gas: Depends on how much you drive :)
Service: replaced all fluids and filters (including cabin air filters) $1,950
So far nothing out of the ordinary. No repairs, tires, clutch or breaks needed.
Monthly cost of ownership: $736.

As you can see, the bulk of the cost is property taxes. I guess I need to move :)
Hope this helps.

Angel

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
Well, I'll give you my cost so far after 11 months of owning a 2013 Gallardo Performante with 10,700 miles:

Insurance: VA with StatFarm. I'm 44 and have a good driving record. $1,582 a year
Personal property tax in VA (of course it varies by state). I just paid $5,300 for a year (yikes!)
Gas: Depends on how much you drive :)
Service: replaced all fluids and filters (including cabin air filters) $1,950
So far nothing out of the ordinary. No repairs, tires, clutch or breaks needed.
Monthly cost of ownership: $736.

As you can see, the bulk of the cost is property taxes. I guess I need to move :)
Hope this helps.

Angel
You seriously need to move! That's insane

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use USAA for my insurance and it is CHEAP as hell. for $1 Mil liability and full coverage it is $96 a month. gas is gas and I have changed the oil twice in 4 years. I have done nothing else. Car just runs great all the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went with Statefarm too. Live in Ny and won't be driving it until April/May. So they have a policy option that you can garage it and pay 49 bucks/month during that period it's garaged. Makes the annual insurance I pay on the car ridiculously low. 38 yo with impeccable driving record but not sure that matters all that much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts