Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Search didn't come up with any hits on the board about putting Xeon lights in a '97 Diablo Roadster. Anyone try this (or do this) and did you end up with any electrical issues?

My concern is that the extra load might draw too much power from the system and I'll end up with dead batteries, slow fans, dim dash/interrior lights, failing electrical components due to the load... etc...

I would really like to see at night without taping flashlights to the bonnet. :) I'm also thinking this wouldn't hurt resale as long as I kept the original lenses and bulbs (not that I'm thinking about selling it). Any comments on that?

- Strat

PS - I'm new to the board so please excuse any mistakes in protocol.

·
Registered
622 Posts
XENON on Diablo

It will be not any problem to do that. Xenon draws a little less power if I am correct. There are also systems available showing the correct resistance to the error checking computer to prevent the 'lamp defect' light lighting up.

What's more, the temperature that the XENON developes is lower than a conventional bulb. Only advantages. I will surely do it with my D. Light-colour: I will choose a low as possible colour temperature, somewhere 3500-4200K. But that is just my taste. I don't like that blue shining. 2700 or 3000K wil be too yellow. On the other hand .. on a yellow D .. it could match the colour of the car :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect!...

Thanks VT and CCIE -

Cats is looking into what would be necessary to do this on my roadster so I'll point them to this post. It seems relatively simple enough for a '99... I hope the difference isn't too drastic for a '97.

Really appreciate the advice guys!

- Strat

PS - VT, yellow and yellow would look pretty slick IMO. I was thinking the deep purple might look good on my black D.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi all,

Search didn't come up with any hits on the board about putting Xeon lights in a '97 Diablo Roadster. Anyone try this (or do this) and did you end up with any electrical issues?

My concern is that the extra load might draw too much power from the system and I'll end up with dead batteries, slow fans, dim dash/interrior lights, failing electrical components due to the load... etc...

I would really like to see at night without taping flashlights to the bonnet. :) I'm also thinking this wouldn't hurt resale as long as I kept the original lenses and bulbs (not that I'm thinking about selling it). Any comments on that?

- Strat

PS - I'm new to the board so please excuse any mistakes in protocol.
I too will be doing this to my Roadster as well, I found a few places that carry for the Diablo, fairly inexpensive.
Here is one of them Lamborghini Diablo Xenon Headlights Diablo HID Kit Lights Conversion

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great resources! I'm wondering if this is a DIY job now...

CCIE/NightLife - are either of you doing this yourself and do you have a shop? I just bought an ODBII sensor for troubleshooting and haven't bought any other tools (to actually work on the car) yet.

I did replace my own turn signals - which fixed the fast blinking right turn light! Everyone has a basic screw driver... :eek:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Great resources! I'm wondering if this is a DIY job now...

CCIE/NightLife - are either of you doing this yourself and do you have a shop? I just bought an ODBII sensor for troubleshooting and haven't bought any other tools (to actually work on the car) yet.

I did replace my own turn signals - which fixed the fast blinking right turn light! Everyone has a basic screw driver... :eek:
Yes DIY it looks fairly straight forward, I built a pretty decent man cave :)

Tell me more about your OBDII sensor, what kind is it ? can it earse codes etc... ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OBDII is an Innova Equus 3100 "CanOBD2".

Although it's supposed to read all the codes and such it was a little over $100 because it's supposed to be able to tell you what to fix; e.g. using their "Repair Solutions" software that reads the device via a USB to your computer. Unfortunately Lamborghini isn't listed on their web site nor the device DTC list so you won't get the "Repair Solutions" feature or the extended error code information (whatever that is). I figure I'd just use it to read/reset the codes. It should do that just fine if there's a standard - which I'm lead to believe there is (e.g. just like call waiting data). It connected to the computer w/o any problems and seems to read the most common protocols; my car was using an ISO protocol.

It did give me the option to erase all the codes but Cats already did that when I took it into the shop - and the car hasn't thrown anything since... although the check engine light flashes when the engine fans kick on now... which is kinda wierd. Still, no codes visible.

I got it at the local auto-part store; O'Reilly - $140.

·
Registered
LP640
2,234 Posts
If you go HID, go for 4300k. It's what OEM manufactures use (more of a bright white than blue) and is the brightest light.

I bought a very cheap kit ($50) for my M3 and instead of getting 4300k I received 6000k, it's much brighter than stock and slightly blue, but the 4300K is a much better light for visibility. The car didn't have projector headlights stock, so I had to modify the headlamps to not blind everyone coming at me and to control the light.

I installed a good HID kit in my Viper with 4300k bulbs and it completely transformed the night visibility. Luckily the car had projector headlights stock so it was an easy install, literally plug & play.

Nick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cats didn't go through with putting my Xeon lights on. He said my car ('97 Diablo VT) couldn't take them and just stuck halogens on instead. Don't recall the reason but he gave me the impression that putting them on that year (or older?) would be asking for trouble.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Cats didn't go through with putting my Xeon lights on. He said my car ('97 Diablo VT) couldn't take them and just stuck halogens on instead. Don't recall the reason but he gave me the impression that putting them on that year (or older?) would be asking for trouble.
Not at all it is a very simple procedure, make sure you order the proper lights that are 2 stage high/low beam. You will also need to order H1 projector lenses, this is a must, use the same ones that fit the Jeep Cherokee. The rest is simple if you are slightly mechanically inclined.

I will try to get a post up of my procedure, it's just finding the time to do it as I am so friggin busy all the time ugh :(

On that note I updated my front daytime lights, the ones beside the turn signal to LED and wow what a difference, really updates the look. I also switched my driving lights to the H3 LED, now they are bright white.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts