Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would post this thread as something for others to find in the future. Shortly after purchasing my 2005 Gallardo I experienced an MIL with an alternating EPC 1-5 and 6-10 error with the car feeling like it were in LIMP mode with next to zero acceleration under 4k rpms and then perfect pickup above 4k rpms. In addition, with the clutch in at stoplights it did significant idle hunting (bouncing between 1800-2000 rpms over and over again).

I had a feeling it was TPS related given the throttle response symptom, but also thought maybe it was Sprint Booster related or who knows what else. Using my code reader, it pulled up P0227 01 (low input Throttle Position Sensor) and P1227 01 (throttle malfunction, bank 2).

After some time at the shop with the computer hooked up, it was ultimately determined I needed new TBs. I hated the thought of spending $3,600 ($1800/bank) for new Magneti Mareli units from Lamborghini (that are agreed to be a poor design even when new), so I searched out a few options and ultimately landed on the Xemodex website. They get RAVE reviews on Volvo and BMW forums, but I only saw 1 or 2 mentions here and no real review of experience.

Here is how their website describes the service:

Contact-less programmable dual sensor TPS upgrade: Zero wear Hall-Effect dual Throttle Position Sensor, designed and manufactured by XeMODeX. This contact-less TPS design eliminates any friction related TPS failures. XeMODeX TPS sensors are fully programmable unlike the clones out there which are pre-set and locked. Each of the two sensors sends its own throttle angle position to the ETM the closer the angles are to each other the quicker the throttle response will be. This is why we program each sensor on the actual ETM ensuring that the maximum deviation between the two sensors is less than 1.5 degrees (Maximum allowed deviation in the original throttle is 14 degrees before the software triggers the TPS sensor fault codes).
Brand New Stainless Steel Bearings: Steel bearings upgraded to stainless steel to better withstand corrosion
Remanufactured Internal ECU: All fragile aluminum wire bonds inside the ECU are replaced with reliable copper bonds to prevent future joint failures.
Rebuilt Magnet Assembly: The magnets inside the DC motor are completely overhauled and sealed to prevent moisture penetration and subsequent corrosion.
Brand New Inspection Cover: Brand new custom manufactured aluminum inspection cover.
Lifetime Limited Warranty: This module comes with our Lifetime Limited Warranty. Please see here for more information.

I ended up going this route and $2200 later, they sent me shipping labels from me to their shop in Canada. The TBs arrived to Toronto in ~4 days and they were turned around by Xemodex in ~48 hours and shipped back to Virginia in ~3 days -- even using their "non-expedited" shipping option.

The first thing to note is that they arrive returned in anti-static bags and looked WAY better than when they left. Previously the TBs were a dull grey that was chipping a bit, and now they look nicely polished and brand-new. They also returned with a status report indicated that both TBs were tested and found "ok" when cold, but both failed "hot" tests of their functions.

From my reading I understand our TBs are VERY similar to an earlier Volvo XC90 TB....yet the Xemodex rebuild for a Gallardo TB costs 2x as much per TB as for an XC90. They claim its due to additional/different programming which may well be true, but slightly irritating nonetheless. I did see a user somewhere say they purchased an XC90 TB for their gallardo and it threw all sort of lights -- so I imagine there is truth to the need for different programming.

After getting them back on the car, the issues are gone. No more idle hunting. No more MIL/EPC lights and the car rips. I was pleased with the service and glad to save the $1600 while simultaneously benefiting from the Xemodex upgrades.

Caveat Emptor: They have a SUPER aggressive facebook ad campaign, so as soon as you search them or visit their site, odds are good you will see their ads from now until the end of time. :)

Registered
FWIW, the ~08+ Throttle Bodies were a different design that have been proven to be much more reliable. The 04-~06 models do tend to have TB issues. The good news is you could get the 08+ version and retrofit it into prior years without any issues, if I remember correctly. I also wonder if you can use the Audi part which would be cheaper. There might a cross reference part list for that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FWIW, the ~08+ Throttle Bodies were a different design that have been proven to be much more reliable. The 04-~06 models do tend to have TB issues. The good news is you could get the 08+ version and retrofit it into prior years without any issues, if I remember correctly. I also wonder if you can use the Audi part which would be cheaper. There might a cross reference part list for that.
Yes, the '08+ went to a Bosch unit that I believe cross-references to VW parts and I think a Passat in particular.

I've not read of anyone swapping from the MM TBs to a Bosch -- for one the Bosch units require a separate TB ECU (that seems to go bad sporadically) that the MM TBs do not have.

Registered
The MM throttle body is the worst. I worked at Volvo Cars in the 90鈥檚 and MM throttle bodies were crap all thru the development phase, so few people in the engineering department were surprised that they also were crap in the production cars. All had to be replaced 鈽
The throttle bodies in the Gallardo are produced 6 years after the Volvo ones, so I hope that some of the issues have been addressed. One mayor problem was the position sensors that weren鈥檛 touchless, so they did wear out. I don鈥檛 know what breaks on the Gallardo throttle bodies.
The Bosch throttle bodies are a completely different concept, than the MM throttle bodies on the Volvos. The Bosch ones only have a throttle actuator and positions sensor. All the logic is done elsewhere. At Volvo it got integrated in the ECU. The MM throttle bodies receives the target throttle angle on the CAN buss and then the controller in the throttle body execute it.
So to replace MM throttle bodies with Bosch sounds like a challenge.

Registered
The MM throttle body is the worst. I worked at Volvo Cars in the 90鈥檚 and MM throttle bodies were crap all thru the development phase, so few people in the engineering department were surprised that they also were crap in the production cars. All had to be replaced 鈽
The throttle bodies in the Gallardo are produced 6 years after the Volvo ones, so I hope that some of the issues have been addressed. One mayor problem was the position sensors that weren鈥檛 touchless, so they did wear out. I don鈥檛 know what breaks on the Gallardo throttle bodies.
The Bosch throttle bodies are a completely different concept, than the MM throttle bodies on the Volvos. The Bosch ones only have a throttle actuator and positions sensor. All the logic is done elsewhere. At Volvo it got integrated in the ECU. The MM throttle bodies receives the target throttle angle on the CAN buss and then the controller in the throttle body execute it.
So to replace MM throttle bodies with Bosch sounds like a challenge.
I love this kind of detailed info. Always amazes me the amount of knowledge on this forum!

Great review of Xemodex too. Did they polish the aluminum or clean and repaint it? Obviously it looks fantastic either way but was curious.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love this kind of detailed info. Always amazes me the amount of knowledge on this forum!

Great review of Xemodex too. Did they polish the aluminum or clean and repaint it? Obviously it looks fantastic either way but was curious.
I'm pretty sure they've polished them. It doesn't list it, but I wonder if part of their procedure is to vapor blast them which generally gives a nice finish --- though not quite this polished.

Registered
I'm pretty sure they've polished them. It doesn't list it, but I wonder if part of their procedure is to vapor blast them which generally gives a nice finish --- though not quite this polished.
I actually think the throttle bodies are painted. Mine looked terrible, so I sanded the loose paint away and gave them a new coat of silver paint with a rattle can.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could be right! I didn't scratch them to verify.....but if so, their paint job is excellent as there really aren't any obvious signs/drips/runs/masking

Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
Dansken, that finish turned out really very nicely from a rattle can! All of those nooks and crannies you got in there perfectly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts