Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, I've followed this forum for quite a while, and love all of the interaction. I've got my Gallardo up on jacks in my garage so I can replace the shifter cable that broke. I'm getting it from Glen at AMH exotic Parts, who has been awesome, especially since I requested the wrong cable, and he is now sending me the right one and refunding the wrong one for me.

Anyway, while it sits in my garage on Jacks, I decided to go ahead and try wrapping it. I've always thought that wrapped cars looked really good, and it looked like fun doing it. So I purchased some Avery Dennison Satin White Pearlescent wrap (and then some more, because I've had to throw away some pieces I screwed up) and had at it. It's been a lot of fun so far, but very slow going and takes a lot of patience.

I'm about half done, and here are some pics. I'll keep the thread updated as I go, if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looks Great!! I have a 75 ' roll of Pearl Orange sitting in the garage to do my Black 08 Spyder. I will be leaving the windshield posts, mirrors, engine cover vents and door jambs black. I bought the whole roll figuring there would be some waste as part of the learning curve. I've done some wrapping before but not on this scale. Few questions, how much material do you think you will end up using? Also, appreciate it if you could share where you placed seams and any inserts...close up pics would be great and most helpful.
Seeing your post is inspiring me to get out there and do it, little too hot right now I think, no AC in the garage. Look forward to your updates...cheers

Hey Everyone, I've followed this forum for quite a while, and love all of the interaction. I've got my Gallardo up on jacks in my garage so I can replace the shifter cable that broke. I'm getting it from Glen at AMH exotic Parts, who has been awesome, especially since I requested the wrong cable, and he is now sending me the right one and refunding the wrong one for me.

Anyway, while it sits in my garage on Jacks, I decided to go ahead and try wrapping it. I've always thought that wrapped cars looked really good, and it looked like fun doing it. So I purchased some Avery Dennison Satin White Pearlescent wrap (and then some more, because I've had to throw away some pieces I screwed up) and had at it. It's been a lot of fun so far, but very slow going and takes a lot of patience.

I'm about half done, and here are some pics. I'll keep the thread updated as I go, if anyone is interested.

View attachment 298971 View attachment 298972 View attachment 298973 View attachment 298974 View attachment 298975 View attachment 298976 View attachment 298977

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks Great!! I have a 75 ' roll of Pearl Orange sitting in the garage to do my Black 08 Spyder. I will be leaving the windshield posts, mirrors, engine cover vents and door jambs black. I bought the whole roll figuring there would be some waste as part of the learning curve. I've done some wrapping before but not on this scale. Few questions, how much material do you think you will end up using? Also, appreciate it if you could share where you placed seems and any inserts...close up pics would be great and most helpful.
Seeing your post is inspiring me to get out there and do it, little too hot right now I think, no AC in the garage. Look forward to your updates...cheers
Hey, thanks. You should definitely go for it. I bought a 60 foot roll to start. I haven't run out yet, but after throwing away a few sizable pieces, and starting to panic thinking that if/when I needed more it might not be in stock, I went ahead an order 25 more feet. I'm betting I'll use somewhere between 60 and 75 when it is all done, and I'll have some left over.

The only seam/overlay that I am pretty unhappy about is right by the tall vertical vent on the rear fender. I felt there was no way stretch the film enough from the outside of the fender all the way to the inside of the vent, and have it actually stay there, so I did a piece on the inside first, and then laid the large fender piece over it with the knifeless tape. I'll try and get some close up pictures this evening and show it. And as it turns out, seams/overlays show the worst on satin finishes I think, and are less visible on other finishes like gloss etc.

Driving by or walking by its not that noticeable and not really a problem, but a professional wrapper would probably see it and laugh. But I'll probably have enough wrap left over in the end to go back and do it over again as soon as someone who knows what they are doing can give me some advice on that spot.

But so far that is the only place where I have had to do a seam that I wasn't really happy about.

I'll get some close up picks up when I can. And thanks for asking.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've watched a few Gallardo wrap videos and they all have put a seam in the side quarter panel vents and some in the bumper recesses. You were right in doing so, it would eventually pull back out and fail even if you could get it to cover. Look forward to the close ups and progress.....sorting out all my wrap tools as I type this...lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. Here are some close up pictures of the seam I was talking about, just below the quarter panel vent. I really don't like that it is there, but I really don't know any way around it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did the mirror in Matte Black, and reinstalled it this evening. I thought it would be easier to wrap the mirrors while they were off of the car, but it was a pain in the butt. When I watched some videos of people doing mirrors, they all put them back on first, for good reason. It looks so much easier. I will do that for the driver's side. I'm not sure I love the Matte Black. I'm still mulling it over. But the great thing about this wrap is I can change it any time I want, so if I decide I don't like it, I'll change it.

·
Registered
LP 550-2 Spyder | FI Titanium exhaust | Swift Sport Springs | Fabspeed ECU Tune
76 Posts
I had my previous '06 SE wrapped in satin white and kept the black accents. It was a stunning finish and really helped show off the Gallardo's lines.

Your work looks great so far, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with the end result.

P.S. I see you teasing us with that gated shifter ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OP, did your Gallardo have a clear film on it already?
When I bought it about 8 years ago, it had clear film on the front bumper and hood, which had apparently been there since 2004 and was a bit yellowed and ugly. I removed that, which was pretty hard to do and did leave a couple of bad spots in the paint. But since then, it has not had clear film.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,549 Posts
When I bought it about 8 years ago, it had clear film on the front bumper and hood, which had apparently been there since 2004 and was a bit yellowed and ugly. I removed that, which was pretty hard to do and did leave a couple of bad spots in the paint. But since then, it has not had clear film.
Just curious because placing a wrap on top of a PPF can be even more challenging than normal. Though, seems to be coming along nicely.........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Worked on the front bumper/panel last night. For most of the panels I have been laying them on by myself, but for the large/long front and back panels I have had my daughter help me lift and stretch them into place. I THOUGHT I was going to be able to stretch the film into the front indentation, but when I started to do it it felt pretty sketchy, like it really wanted to pull back out. So I sliced it and ran the knifeless tape inside, to cut two good lines, and then laid on another piece with a seam. The seam isn't too bad here because it's right inside a body line. Making progress..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's all done now. There are some bad spots that I know I could do better, and I may go back and rewrap them at some point, but overall I think it looks pretty good. Like I said before, if you start looking closely at every corner and edge, you'll find some ugliness, but in general it looks pretty darned good. I love the Satin and Pearl combination. It's subtle, and its really nice in white. You can see I did do a few spots in the matte black just to give it a little bit of a custom touch. Overall I'm happy with it. It was a lot of work and required a lot of patience, but I'm excited to have a 2004 G that pretty much looks brand new, with a new color for around $500. And maybe next summer I'll make it Satin Black.

I ended up using a little less than a full 75 foot roll, and I would say I probably threw away at least 3 five-foot pieces as I made mistakes, so if you are perfect with it, you could probably do it with 50-60 feet.

I ended up purchasing 85 feet total, and have 15 feet left, so plenty to go back and fix bad spots later. I did not do the door jams, but I might catch those later too.

It needs window tint badly now, and that will be the next thing I try.

I haven't had the chance to take it anywhere but my driveway yet for pics, but here is what I have:

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,549 Posts
It may not be perfect but it looks pretty darn good and all for $500. (y) If you change the color down the road will you first remove the existing wrap?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts