• Hate it! Get it off!

Votes: 28 87.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My attempted $30 tail light "mod" and I'm just not sure I love it. (Also my first attempt at a wrap) I have seen other cars do it, but maybe the color match was easier. The "grigio telesto" wrap isn't quite a perfect match. Like it or hate it? Vote above!

I'll give it a week, but I'm leaning towards removing it due to the color difference.

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,491 Posts
taillamps pre LP

Not a bad attempt, just need to match the paint a little better. I have about 10 sets of these in stock for about half the price if you want to practice some more. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,017 Posts
Can you get a closer colour? It looks like you have done a good job on the wrapping.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you get a closer colour? It looks like you have done a good job on the wrapping.
Well I ordered "grigio telesto" vinyl wrap, but apparently it's not quite there. Knowing nothing about wraps, I'm not sure what to look for.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Interesting idea, but unfortunately it doesn’t really look right to me. The colour match doesn’t help. Maybe black to go with the grill would have worked better? Is the wing black too?

What about using tint film somehow? Perhaps tint the top darker, with a more subtle tint on the rear face? But still embracing the mk1 style lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,017 Posts
Well I ordered "grigio telesto" vinyl wrap, but apparently it's not quite there. Knowing nothing about wraps, I'm not sure what to look for.
Maybe try the carbon fibre or black as others have mate. No harm in trying these things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A cool vinyl wrap mod imo is to black out between the lights and just below the lights and honycomb. It was already done when I got my car and I really like how it connects the back of the car together. The black out is done between the tail pipes too.

It gives it a cleaner less busy look.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Makes it look more like an awful LP... lol. Agree with the majority to remove it. But your vote counts the most!

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
12,911 Posts
I did the same exact thing with mine, but mine was black and easy to match. I think it a great idea, but you do want to try to get the color closer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I thought I wanted to do that to my pre-LP tail lights once too, but have since formed the opinion that the design of the tail light lens itself (the small hexagons, the turn signal/reverse light region), doesn't work well with the new line created by the vinyl, it kind of emphasizes that they're pre-LP lights, like Drew Zee said. But to each their own, it certainly doesn't look bad.

I prefer the simple look of the "dark lens" factory option tail lights, that are a slightly darker shade of red with less contrast between the lens and the turn signal region, or a lightly tinted standard tail light. I just put a new set of the factory "dark lens" tail lights on my car after removing the previous owners heavily tinted (sprayed) lights.

·
Registered
399 Posts
My attempted $30 tail light "mod" and I'm just not sure I love it. (Also my first attempt at a wrap) I have seen other cars do it, but maybe the color match was easier. The "grigio telesto" wrap isn't quite a perfect match. Like it or hate it? Vote above!

I'll give it a week, but I'm leaning towards removing it due to the color difference.
Nope-I am out

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I just tinted my regular taillights with Lamin-X film. Added nice contrast and kept that beloved pre-LP look...

·
Registered
727 Posts
A cool vinyl wrap mod imo is to black out between the lights and just below the lights and honycomb. It was already done when I got my car and I really like how it connects the back of the car together. The black out is done between the tail pipes too.

It gives it a cleaner less busy look.

Wow. That’s actually very cool and widens the back of the car perceptually.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts