Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Gated Giallo Midas
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a turbo kit sitting waiting to get installed, but I'm stuck between whether or not I should do the 2WD conversion on my PreLP Gallardo with the turbos.

I've always preferred RWD over anything, but I couldn't find any post other then only running AWD with a turbo gallardo.

I'm plan to also upgrade sway bars and suspension to compensate for the weight difference.

Just wanted to know what other members thought or if it's a bad idea?

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,024 Posts
What TT numbers are you looking at? If it’s a smaller build around the 800hp, you might be ok with throttle control, and good tires. IMO, you would need some R888’s. Depending on what rims your running, get up in the 305/315/325/ or 335 range for the rears would really help.

Personally I wouldn’t go RWD on a TT setup. The good thing about a TT setup on AWD is being able to use all of the power. You don’t want TC kicking in all the time ans you don’t want to run with it off…. My GTR was FBO and on E85 making 800 HP. I ran MPSS tires and I would light up all 4 tires. I couldn’t imagine having that power on RWD.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,071 Posts
I remember other members posted they have TT their RWD cars. Maybe one of them will chime in. I know there are lots of variables, but as I remember it they were very happy.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,071 Posts
I think you can do a TT RWD.
At work we have 1600 hp with only RWD and that looks like fun 😍

That looks like more fun than I can imagine and very well controlled.

Reactions: Gated666

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,024 Posts
I think you can do a TT RWD.
At work we have 1600 hp with only RWD and that looks like fun 😍

I think the technology in this amazing machine is slightly better than TT‘ing a Gallardo…. Lmao! That Jesko is just unreal!

Reactions: Gated666

·
Registered
2013 LP560 TT
271 Posts
I’m running about 900hp AWD. 325 or so rears. Cup2. All new tires in the spring. Rears are already toast but the fronts show little wear. Most of the power is still at the rear.
That said, on a tight track it will understeer in turns while under power. Let off the go pedal and it snaps back into the turn but very hard to get it to oversteer. Not great for small technical tracks.

It is very stable and can put down the power well with AWD. For street driving (99.5% of what I use it for) it is fantastic and doesn’t get away from me like my RWD M car does.

For track use I don’t think AWD is ideal — but neither are turbos. The power is NOT linear and it’s akin to old school turbo cars: Lag - lag - lag until 3.5k and then — holy crap! I suspect the supercharger kits are better suited for track.

I wouldn’t want to daily a turbo G without AWD — especially in the wet or cool weather. You’ll pull a “Mustang crowd control” move in a split second if you’re not paying attention.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I’m not the best track driver and I don’t have any personal experience with a TT Gallardo but I did meet someone who had done that to his. I had been considering it and he cautioned me not to. He said his scared him and he sold it pretty quickly. This is someone who has had a lot of super cars. Of course everyone has different approaches to driving but at some point you have more power than you have traction so it’s possible by going rear wheel drive you will be wasting some of your turbo power. Of course if you are wanting to drift it, that might be exactly what you’re looking for. I’m sure it would be a hoot but kind of like the first gen vipers it takes a certain level of skill as a driver to get the most out of it. I think you could try your turbo awd and then later swap out to 2wd. I believe it’s reversible. I’ve considered doing it, I hear it makes the car more lively to drive but I was at a slightly wet track driver day and there was a Gallardo and a Ferrari and the Ferrari slid off the track so many times they put it back in the trailer and had everyone using the Gallardo so there’s something to be said for the AWD traction control of the Gallardo. Either way will be fun!

·
Registered
Gated Giallo Midas
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What TT numbers are you looking at? If it’s a smaller build around the 800hp, you might be ok with throttle control, and good tires. IMO, you would need some R888’s. Depending on what rims your running, get up in the 305/315/325/ or 335 range for the rears would really help.

Personally I wouldn’t go RWD on a TT setup. The good thing about a TT setup on AWD is being able to use all of the power. You don’t want TC kicking in all the time ans you don’t want to run with it off…. My GTR was FBO and on E85 making 800 HP. I ran MPSS tires and I would light up all 4 tires. I couldn’t imagine having that power on RWD.

I plan to run around the 750hp mark, although the kit is rated for 1100rwhp so definitely on the smaller side of the spectrum.

Currently running Cup 2 with 305 for the rears. 235 fronts. Will consider 325 and new wheels.

I come from a drifting background so I'm very fish tail happy, but never in a lamborghini and more so rear engine with a turbo. I've read from many to stay away so that definitely scares me.

2wd definitely excites me, while my other thoughts are, "But I will plant more power to the ground on all 4 wheels"

·
Registered
Gated Giallo Midas
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m running about 900hp AWD. 325 or so rears. Cup2. All new tires in the spring. Rears are already toast but the fronts show little wear. Most of the power is still at the rear.
That said, on a tight track it will understeer in turns while under power. Let off the go pedal and it snaps back into the turn but very hard to get it to oversteer. Not great for small technical tracks.

It is very stable and can put down the power well with AWD. For street driving (99.5% of what I use it for) it is fantastic and doesn’t get away from me like my RWD M car does.

For track use I don’t think AWD is ideal — but neither are turbos. The power is NOT linear and it’s akin to old school turbo cars: Lag - lag - lag until 3.5k and then — holy crap! I suspect the supercharger kits are better suited for track.

I wouldn’t want to daily a turbo G without AWD — especially in the wet or cool weather. You’ll pull a “Mustang crowd control” move in a split second if you’re not paying attention.
Your right, it's not easy to get it to oversteer. I did experience a fair share of understeer at the track and I thought maybe 2wd would fix it haha.

I want that power to initiate oversteer on command, but I don't want to whip the tail so hard that it's tail to front with no room for a counter steer.

I do mostly spirited drives and occasional light track with the G. Rarely daily driven. It's the only car I haven't done any drifts in for fun.

Linear power is always the best for track, but unfortunately I looked into this and it's only for LP models :(

“Mustang crowd control” hahaha when ever I see rain, I won't drive in wet. I rather park it and come back later lol.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The only people I've had complain about 2WD are those with TT. If you did it, likely would be better with an 04/05 with the longer 1/2 gears.

It's an easy swap on the G, so you can run it and if you don't like it, swap back.

·
Vendor
3,008 Posts
I have a turbo kit sitting waiting to get installed, but I'm stuck between whether or not I should do the 2WD conversion on my PreLP Gallardo with the turbos.

I've always preferred RWD over anything, but I couldn't find any post other then only running AWD with a turbo gallardo.

I'm plan to also upgrade sway bars and suspension to compensate for the weight difference.

Just wanted to know what other members thought or if it's a bad idea?
I have the RWD conversion kits in stock, but I tell people anything over 600 hpI think it will be squirrelly. Def a huge improvement on stock G's, with about 125 lbs of weight drop! I have it done on my own 2008 G.

The only people I've had complain about 2WD are those with TT. If you did it, likely would be better with an 04/05 with the longer 1/2 gears.

It's an easy swap on the G, so you can run it and if you don't like it, swap back.
What he said ^^.. If you want to try the kit anyway, I'll work something out with ya. Just let me know. This is a simply install luckily.

·
Registered
Gated Giallo Midas
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I assume because the longer gears on the 04/05 translate to car having less of a torque kick right?
If that makes sense lol

I'm thinking of just ordering a set and leaving it there just in case 🙃

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I would 100% run a solid stand-alone like Motec with a very dialed-in traction control system. There was TT RWS R8 last year that was totaled at a roll event because the car broke traction at 100+ mph. After owning a TT V10 for 5k miles the last 2 years I would never want on the street without AWD. Just my opinion. TT cars make a NA v10 feel like a Prius.

·
Registered
88 Posts
just echoing similar thoughts here. i JUST got the rwd conversion done and i can feel it wanting to get squirrely at highway speeds on hard accel. I wouldnt even entertain a TT setup without AWD. if it was me, and i wanted to know for sure, i'd suggest doing the RWD conversion first and feel what its like. its very easy to undo back to AWD.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts