Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My very first Lamborghini arrives at the end of November/start of December here in Toronto, Canada. It's a RWD so even if I wanted to drive it in the winter it's definitely not a good idea haha. My question is:

As soon as it gets off the truck, I want to store it. I never owned a car like this, nor have I ever "stored" a car for the winter. My primary questions are:
  1. What are the things I should take into consideration to store the car for 5 to 6 Months?
  2. Is there some things I should do in between these 5 to 6 months?
  3. Is there anything special I need to take into account considering the car will literally not be driven for an additional 5 to 6 months from its delivery?
Thank you so much everyone!

Cheers,

Nathaniel

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,046 Posts
Here is a good link that will get you started but your car being new the oil will not need to be changed as recommended in this link. I am not sure if you will drive it at all when it first arrives but if you do then I would do the following:
1. wash and wax.
2. keep the battery on a battery maintainer. I would have the dealership install a pigtail quick battery attachment to make it easy to hook the battery maintainer up to the car.
3. I would over inflate the tires by 2 to 5 lbs to prevent flat spots from developing.
4. I would make sure the gas tank is full. That reduces the amount of moisture the tank will take on. You may want to use a fuel stabilizer as well.
5. I would not keep the parking brake on for extended storage. Assuming your garage is level, I would disengage the parking brake and I would buy four wheel chocks and place then under the 4 tires.
6. I would put steel wool in the exhaust pipes to keep critters out just be sure you remember to remove it when the EVO is resurrected. Read linked article for other rodent repelling recommendations.
7. Keep the car insured.
8. Oh, yeah, place a car cover on Sleeping Beauty. ;)

Though, I am sure you know, you can drive your car in the winter with the proper tires. One of our European members, @MPLC, does so and has great fun but do what makes you comfortable. Hope that helps Congratulations and Best of Luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
^^ what he said, adding that when I used to ride motorcycles I would always bag the air filters (intake) as well as the exhaust and would use an oiled sock in the exhaust as opposed to steel wool. In addition to critters you want to keep condensation out of the engine to prevent the potential for internal rust.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Though, I am sure you know, you can drive your car in the winter with the proper tires. One of our European members, @MPLC, does so and has great fun but do what makes you comfortable. Hope that helps Congratulations and Best of Luck!
I would absolutely love to do this, but with RWD do you think I will be in trouble even with proper tires?

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,046 Posts
I would absolutely love to do this, but with RWD do you think I will be in trouble even with proper tires?
I think you would do fine but exercise a bit of caution if the weather/snow is bit much. Living in Texas our weather is a bit different so, hopefully your fellow Canadians can chime in with a word of encouragement or if need be, a bit of caution. Though, it would be hard for me to let the car sit idle for 4 or 5 months.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,046 Posts
@Lambo2018 @Slammp thanks guys for the insights! @Lambo2018 I will definitely inquire with the dealership on that Pigtail install!

Cheers guys!
Here is a picture of the battery tender quick attachment, and also, be sure to negotiate a battery tender as part of the deal. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would ask the dealer to hold it till spring -I did in my case dec01-march15 2021 (not gtautos)
- if not then proper storage Auto Vault Canada - I have used them several times and will this year with my Lambo -good luck and congrats

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
17,290 Posts
I can’t imagine storing a new car without even driving it. That would be the ultimate torture for me. I would at least keep it in my garage. Good luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can’t imagine storing a new car without even driving it. That would be the ultimate torture for me. I would at least keep it in my garage. Good luck
NO - Drive it ( 2 weeks for me last year ) then returned for storage for the winter (y)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would ask the dealer to hold it till spring -I did in my case dec01-march15 2021 (not gtautos)
- if not then proper storage Auto Vault Canada - I have used them several times and will this year with my Lambo -good luck and congrats
Thank you @Dee Zed for the recommendation! I'll take a look now. Good news is they said it will now be here Mid October, bad news is because I will take it when it is technically drivable they won't store it anymore hahah

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here I am looking everywhere for the "L" sidewall Sottozero 3 winter tires in the rear sizes! My Huracan is due in by January to LA and since I've ordered it ironically I'm back in NYC so I'll be shipping it straight into the winter madness. My solution is a spare set of wheels and winter tires. Did the same with my 458 and got so much more use out of it as most of the winter its just cold and miserable but no salt or snow on the streets. I would consider doing the same, though of course I understand not wanting to deal with Toronto winter!

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
8,046 Posts
I can’t imagine storing a new car without even driving it.
Well Russ, you don't have to you're living in Hawaii. Last time I checked that is not exactly the ice capital of the world. The only ice you guys have is...................in your beverages. :giggle:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought my vette sight unseen, the tow truck delivered my C7 in January at the storage place and immediately told me to back it into it's spot. It was so dark I needed a flashlight to walk out, I didn't see the car for more than 5 minute, anyway I had to wait 3 month before I looked at it for real and drive it! It was very painful to wait. One more month of driving before I need to store mine for the next 5 months.

I wouldn't drive any sports/super car with our winters especially with all the salt to melt snow and ice. It will destroy and corrode all the tiny nuts, bolts and screws. Good luck if you ever need to swap a bumper. The worst part are people are going to be so rubbernecking your car they may not stop in time on a patch of black ice and plow into you. Had a woman a few months ago craning her neck so bad looking at my car while turning the intersection she swerved the last inch before a curb next to fuel pumps at a gas station.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
17,290 Posts
I bought my vette sight unseen, the tow truck delivered my C7 in January at the storage place and immediately told me to back it into it's spot. It was so dark I needed a flashlight to walk out, I didn't see the car for more than 5 minute, anyway I had to wait 3 month before I looked at it for real and drive it! It was very painful to wait. One more month of driving before I need to store mine for the next 5 months.

I wouldn't drive any sports/super car with our winters especially with all the salt to melt snow and ice. It will destroy and corrode all the tiny nuts, bolts and screws. Good luck if you ever need to swap a bumper. The worst part are people are going to be so rubbernecking your car they may not stop in time on a patch of black ice and plow into you. Had a woman a few months ago craning her neck so bad looking at my car while turning the intersection she swerved the last inch before a curb next to fuel pumps at a gas station.
I give you credit, you are a man of strong will. On the positive side of things you have something incredible to look forward to, good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
There are tons of good storage ideas on various forums like putting fuel stabilizer, over inflating tires etc. Don't know about Lambo's needing a full tank of gas or not but C7 Corvettes have to be less than 1/4 tank full in order to keep the gas below the float contacts. The sulphur in the gasoline can ruin the contacts of the float.

BUT your number one priority is to put mouse traps around your car ALL YEAR LONG! I have 5 mouse traps within 2 feet of the car baited with peanut butter and tonight was my 16th kill. Spring is the worst as they have litters. They will chew wires, insulation and crawl deep into the vents and die and stink up the car forever. I know for C7's you have to remove the entire dash to get to them out.

I store my car in a heated facility, it's cheaper than heating my garage but if I could keep it home over winter I would put it in a car bubble.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts