Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Gallardo LP550-2
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that you should never jack up one side of the front of a Gallardo because the windshield may crack. Is this true? Has this ever happened to anyone or is it a myth? If it could crack, that means you couldn't jack up one corner to change a tire at home or out and about. I did not see any warning about this in the manual. So, is it a real danger or not??
What have your experiences been?

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,483 Posts
you bring up a good topic. I have heard the same on my Diablo so I have always raised both sides at the same time. I never raise one front corner independent of the other. Because of this habit I have never done anything different on my Gallardo either but I don’t want to try. Anyone actually substantiate this risk?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I’ve jacked mine up many times on one side where to the other side is well off the ground - no issues so far..

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have heard similar, if one has an open door when jacking....creates too much body flex.

Some say, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
DIY wrenching could be considered a hobby, so enjoy and be safe

FWIW I would use the two jack method on a Diablo.

·
Registered
768 Posts
^ Though our spyders have reinforced chassis, so that would probably mitigate bodyflex anyway.

Personally, I just jack up at the rear or front crossmembers to get that end up in the air (then put jackstands under the jacking points). Just to be safe. Plus is super easy to jack it from the center and slip stands under and I feel more secure.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
^ Though our spyders have reinforced chassis, so that would probably mitigate bodyflex anyway.

Personally, I just jack up at the rear or front crossmembers to get that end up in the air (then put jackstands under the jacking points). Just to be safe. Plus is super easy to jack it from the center and slip stands under and I feel more secure.
100% the correct answer 😀
On my Murci in the rear with a floor jack, I apply to the center of the cross member. If the car is going to be up longer than 30 minutes I place jack stands.

·
Registered
768 Posts
100% the correct answer 😀
On my Murci in the rear with a floor jack, I apply to the center of the cross member. If the car is going to be up longer than 30 minutes I place jack stands.
I can't help but feel that 99.99% of the time, whatever someone does works just fine, but it's that .01% that I'm worried about. So I've really been trying to take a moment whenever I do something and see what is the proper way and follow that.

I've also now started this thing were if I jack my car, I will give it 5 minutes before I go underneath it, just to give my brain enough time to process what I did, etc. It also minimized the chances that I'll forget something since I'm in "in a rush" to get under there. This way, I have to wait anyway, so I might as well do it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I can't help but feel that 99.99% of the time, whatever someone does works just fine, but it's that .01% that I'm worried about. So I've really been trying to take a moment whenever I do something and see what is the proper way and follow that.

I've also now started this thing were if I jack my car, I will give it 5 minutes before I go underneath it, just to give my brain enough time to process what I did, etc. It also minimized the chances that I'll forget something since I'm in "in a rush" to get under there. This way, I have to wait anyway, so I might as well do it right the first time.
I come from an engineering background. So I adhere to redundancy when doing critical things

I never get under a vehicle unless I have two mechanisms to prevent death 😀

I use jack stands, I keep the hydraulic floor jack on. I’ll even grab a couple 8”x8” short blocks and place them under the rockers.

when I’m under the vehicle, I’ll also have my cellphone within reach... just in case.

I’ve even used tree stumps if I can’t find anything

·
Registered
768 Posts
I come from an engineering background. So I adhere to redundancy when doing critical things

I never get under a vehicle unless I have two mechanisms to prevent death 😀

I use jack stands, I keep the hydraulic floor jack on. I’ll even grab a couple 8”x8” short blocks and place them under the rockers.

when I’m under the vehicle, I’ll also have my cellphone within reach... just in case.
I'd work with you under your car, any day! A man after my own heart (I thought I was the only person with those levels of caution... I also would use a wheel/rim under the frame if I'm taking the wheels off. I've also programmed my Echo Dot in the garage to dial out via voice, just in case ;)

·
Registered
820 Posts
No it will not hurt it. I have jacked mine up from many places, the chassis is plenty stiff.

If this car was subject to that kind of jacking damage then there would be lots of them with busted windshields due to bumps/holes in the road. Shocks essentially go to infinite stiffness in a sever fast movement, that is why bumps are so harsh. That is worse than a gentle jack lift.

·
Registered
375 Posts
AngelOfMurci and others that take precautions: smart moves!
I did not use to in my younger days and had 3 cars fall: one due to a cheap floor jack, one because I put the car on a milk crate to change the clutch, and one due to a failed lift cable. Each time I had some secondary measure that saved me.

Nowadays I have a lift, but even then I make sure the car is stable before going too high.

I don't know about cracked windshields due to jacking up the car on one side, but I do know that my 2005 G does crunch a bit when the lift pads contact the aluminum "circles" under the car in the back

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
AngelOfMurci and others that take precautions: smart moves!
I did not use to in my younger days and had 3 cars fall: one due to a cheap floor jack, one because I put the car on a milk crate to change the clutch, and one due to a failed lift cable. Each time I had some secondary measure that saved me.

Nowadays I have a lift, but even then I make sure the car is stable before going too high.

I don't know about cracked windshields due to jacking up the car on one side, but I do know that my 2005 G does crunch a bit when the lift pads contact the aluminum "circles" under the car in the back
The primary reason I’m extremely cautious under any car, comes from watching my dad wrench on cars as a little kid. He used to tell me nightmare stories about how so and so died, or someone had their limbs removed, etc.
It takes 30 seconds to add an extra layer of safety. No reason to rush things. Just do it 😀

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,483 Posts
^ excellent public service announcement and reminder to all of us above. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure in many things especially in this case. If you use a floor jack put a stand underneath your frame before climbing under.

·
Registered
168 Posts
:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
You have a supercar.
You use a budget trolley jack, a block of wood and a brick?
My god, I am really impressed with your.....ingenuity!
:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:
This was a MacGyver solution 2000 km away from home 😆
I had electrical issues. Turned out to be a famous Lamborghini ground problem 😄
Actually I was only half an hour away from the Lamborghini factory, that I visited the day before 😍

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've read that you should never jack up one side of the front of a Gallardo because the windshield may crack. Is this true? Has this ever happened to anyone or is it a myth? If it could crack, that means you couldn't jack up one corner to change a tire at home or out and about. I did not see any warning about this in the manual. So, is it a real danger or not??
What have your experiences been?
I have lifted mine a few times always two wheels at time, never one. I live in south florida so cold not an issue, would not attempt lifting one wheel only for those doing winter work in a cold garage

·
Registered
2013 Gallardo LP550-2
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have lifted mine a few times always two wheels at time, never one. I live in south florida so cold not an issue, would not attempt lifting one wheel only for those doing winter work in a cold garage
Has anyone ever had or has first hand knowledge of a windshield cracking when jacking only one side? I've read many suggestions to be safe and do both sides at once but I've never read anyone say it actually happened. That is why I wondered if it was a real threat or an urban legend...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.