Lamborghini Talk banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hey Spx1, thanks for that photo. Yes, that is partially it. You've included part of the thingy I'm talking about, it's the rubber piece that is hanging down underneath the car, you can see it behind the wheel in your picture.

I have to figure out how to upload pictures before I can show a picture of mine.
:eek:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ok I have received my car back from the dealership.
The entire spoiler was replaced under warranty.
Good news: the noise is gone (so far).
Bad news:
1. Dealership needed exactly 4 weeks to get this done. Car was there during the 4 weeks, and after all said and done, the dealership added on 79 miles. 79 miles?! All from "test driving."
2. Need to get the new wing PPF-ed again. It's got swirls already, presumably from the factory.

I'm not used to this kinda of turn around time. Other cars (albeit not exotics) have rarely needed much time at all for stuff to get done.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Was also told this is not an isolated incident in terms of the noise from the spoiler. They have another customer with the same issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
They didn’t keep my car but took about a few weeks for the spoiler to come.
While I was waiting for the spoiler, they did suggest that I can just tape the vent if the noise is too much!

Anyway congrats that they fixed your problem!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
The new wing is PPF-ed.
It sometimes make a quiet noise, similar to prior noise, but less frequent, and lower in volume. Will continue to monitor.

As a side note, after adjusting the headlight height, WOW they adjusted them really high. Much higher than I thought would be possible. You can see everything. There is no need for high beams. I suspect the consequence is that they may blind on-coming traffic. But so far, no one has flashed their lights at me, or honked, or anything.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I finally PPF'd the rear of my HP last week ( the wing, rear bumper and rear guards ) and now the car whistles at around 70kph -100kph

It had never done this previously but NOW there is a distinct sound

I can live with it as its not that intrusive and its a cheap imitation of a TT ;)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
My whole car is Xpel'd and I have no noise as you describe...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My whole car is Xpel'd and I have no noise as you describe...
hmmm its def. because of the PPF as it has only started doing it since installed and I have owned the car for 18 months..could it be the type of PPF ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hey Fabo

Just recap my story, I did notice the “wind noise” after wrapping the whole car last year, they end up replace my whole spoiler.

It has been fine ever since until...
I recently (2weeks ago) took my car back to have the spoiler wrap ( which is also free of charge)
I started experiencing the wind noise again.
I am still wondering why, I have inspected the wrap, it didn’t cover any holes in the spoiler!!!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hey Fabo

Just recap my story, I did notice the “wind noise” after wrapping the whole car last year, they end up replace my whole spoiler.

It has been fine ever since until...
I recently (2weeks ago) took my car back to have the spoiler wrap ( which is also free of charge)
I started experiencing the wind noise again.
I am still wondering why, I have inspected the wrap, it didn’t cover any holes in the spoiler!!!
Hi Spx1,

I think its the wing uprights making the noise....It doesn't bother me as I know its the PPF is causing the whistle

My friend also has the same issue after installing PPF

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ok, I think you guys are all onto something!
So to recap my experience:
Car is full (every surface including wing) PPF-ed.
Wind noise from 40-70 mph, whistling noise.
Had wing replaced under warranty.
Noise is gone. Wing is without PPF.
Get wing PPF-ed again.
Wind noise returns.
Same wind noise as before, but around 35-65 mph this time. Same tone and sound.

Never put it together like that before, but the only thing that made the wind noise return was the PPF. I thought it was just something that "developed" but it did start after the PPF. How can this be though? Its so thin, it doesn't stick up any way. There's no significant edges to the film. The install is super clean. Could it just be a coincidence?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Ok, I think you guys are all onto something!
So to recap my experience:
Car is full (every surface including wing) PPF-ed.
Wind noise from 40-70 mph, whistling noise.
Had wing replaced under warranty.
Noise is gone. Wing is without PPF.
Get wing PPF-ed again.
Wind noise returns.
Same wind noise as before, but around 35-65 mph this time. Same tone and sound.

Never put it together like that before, but the only thing that made the wind noise return was the PPF. I thought it was just something that "developed" but it did start after the PPF. How can this be though? Its so thin, it doesn't stick up any way. There's no significant edges to the film. The install is super clean. Could it just be a coincidence?
No coincidence...........Its def. the PPF.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I went back to look at the PPF on the wing again and it just doesn't make sense!
It's so thin, unobtrusive, and it's not covering any of the air outlets or even coming close. And yet this is the best working theory we have.
WHY?!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did the test. I added PPF to my entire car immediately after taking delivery. I had a very substantial whistling sound that I assumed was due to a defect in the wing. I WAS WRONG. I removed my PPF today and now there is absolutely no whistling sound whatsoever. While I do not completely understand the physics involved apparently the whistling noise is due to turbulence which must either be related to a difference in textures between the natural finish of the wing and the PPF surface or it could simply be due to the exposed edge of the PPF. I spoke to my installer today to ask whether he had experienced anything like this. He told me that a number of the Porsches he wrapped had a problem with the side mirrors whistling after PPF was applied. All I can say it is wonderful to drive the car between 40-70 mph and not have that annoying sound.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My wing has PPF on the top but not underneath....could it be that the wind is hitting the edge of the PPF causing the whistle? What if the whole wing is wrapped?

BlownSRT...as you do not have this problem is your wing wrapped underneath?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I did the test. I added PPF to my entire car immediately after taking delivery. I had a very substantial whistling sound that I assumed was due to a defect in the wing. I WAS WRONG. I removed my PPF today and now there is absolutely no whistling sound whatsoever. While I do not completely understand the physics involved apparently the whistling noise is due to turbulence which must either be related to a difference in textures between the natural finish of the wing and the PPF surface or it could simply be due to the exposed edge of the PPF. I spoke to my installer today to ask whether he had experienced anything like this. He told me that a number of the Porsches he wrapped had a problem with the side mirrors whistling after PPF was applied. All I can say it is wonderful to drive the car between 40-70 mph and not have that annoying sound.
Thank you for your feedback and undertaking this test!

That sounds like a logical theory but I'm no physicist or engineer.

My wing has PPF on top surface wrapped around the leading and trailing edges by about 1-2 inches. So only a small portion of the underside is uncovered (including the exit air slats). The uprights of the wing are also covered. Next choice is figuring out how much PPF to uninstall, or perhaps trim. But it seems that having the edge of the film go under the leading edge of the wing would be better than having it terminate right at the leading edge....or maybe trim the trailing edge? Or first remove the film from the upright portions?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Or....just leave the wind noise as is and remind myself that it's active aero all the time..."I am the wind" marketing line from the Performante commercial ....
Wife isn't bothered by the noise surprisingly.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Or....just leave the wind noise as is and remind myself that it's active aero all the time..."I am the wind" marketing line from the Performante commercial ....
Wife isn't bothered by the noise surprisingly.
I agree....It doesn't bother me as I know its only the PPF

Think of it as a turbo whistle lol

21 - 40 of 61 Posts