Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's an 09 Gallardo, these seats are clearly new/reupholstered with this bizarre pattern I've never seen in a Gallardo. i'm assuming the seats are new based on the fact that the leather also looks new. Was looking at purchasing the car and wanted to know if the seats will affect the long-term value and if this can lead to any negotiating room.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
17,533 Posts
Because it is still the OEM seat, in that case I wouldn't think that would affect the value. It is kind of strange though they didn't just do plain alcantera or something that looks more stock.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Not to be a party pooper but, new seats or covers would cause me to examine that vehicle further. The carpet also seems pretty filthy. Maybe a mildew / mold / flood issue ???. The seats may have just been recovered for a cool look or to cover up something else. Just an observation.

·
Registered
2013 LP560 TT
186 Posts
Check mileage history (through dmv registrations / maintenance / state inspection / etc). Worn seats, carpets and steering wheel covers on “low mileage” cars can be a sign of odometer tampering. And the car is over 10 years old so they can sell it TMU.

·
Registered
2013 LP560 TT
186 Posts
Check mileage history (through dmv registrations / maintenance / state inspection / etc). Worn seats, carpets and steering wheel covers on “low mileage” cars can be a sign of odometer tampering. And the car is over 10 years old so they can sell it TMU.
Oops. Now I see this is the high mileage one you were asking about earlier. In that case then the leather was probably worn. Not unusual since most of these cars are used for relatively short trips and are very low to the ground — more sliding in and out per miles driven than a regular car and the leather or alcantara takes a beating.
And yes it theoretically lowers the value but at those miles it’s not a collector car anyhow so no real worries there.

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
448 Posts
Lots of negotiating room, because now what else is doctored up. They look hideous and I would consider this particular 'attempt to refresh' worn seats a cheapa_s shortcut. If it was professionally reupholstered why not spend a few bucks more for a more stock looking appearance rather than draw attention to it ?? Did somebody have that design just laying around. Maybe I'm wrong but the outside of the car looked white in the picture, where's the yellow theme? A nice set of stock seats is what 4-5K and add in the other issues, you really want to give that one a close inspection.

Can you believe somebody is trying to sell the beautiful SUEDE seats below on eBay for $2299.00 + $200 shipping?!! So if that's cheap you can image what nice leather ones cost and why refurbishing is an attractive (sometimes) solution

Luggage and bags Comfort Bag Outdoor shoe Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,495 Posts
Will they affect value, in a word yes. Will they provide you negotiating room in a word, yes. Somebody above said to look closer at what else was doctored and in that picture I can see something doctored on the steering wheel, something doctored right below the shifter plate, a wire somehow tucked under the brake handle, and some thing doctored in the dash pod. I’d be a nonstarter for that car. End of story

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
What is the attraction for this car? The low price? Remember the saying, you get what you pay for, and it surely applies here. I would run away as fast as I could. Good things come to those who wait. Be patient. It's Spring and cars will be coming up for sale. You will be glad you did.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ouch man, everybody's beating this one up. What Dealer, type of Carlot, etc. is selling this car? I haven't seen any pictures of it except for that interior. Once you get to this level of vehicle you have to be wary of Everything. I was a Technician at a multi-car Franchise for over 12 years and learned much about the business having friends in all departments. You can tell much about a 'Dealer' just eyeballing what's on their lot, service dept, and Storage area/lot. I research the selling Dealer and the VIN# of the car thoroughly before I even go look at it. This one you're looking at is likely an auction car judging from the strikes against it. That dealer Knows it's no 6 figure car, but they're still trying to maximize profit @ 90k which is a good price Until you start to look it over. 40k miles barely puts it there, then start knocking off for everything else. If you hold out a bit you can get a Nice LP in the 100-110k range. I've seen them, I bought one, just turned 20k miles last week and it's Beautiful in so many ways. Think of how many years you could drive a 15-25k car before you hit the mileage that car has on it right now.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Totally agree with Surfah! See Hoovie's Garage on YT and Tyler is constantly buying the cheapest stuff he can find and getting tons of issues (but, a big but here, he is making YT money doing it :)) Save the coin and buy a better car. Even with a low price, there comes a point of diminishing returns where you then have a horrible experience owning a Lambo and that is not right. Wait for a better option to come along. These are great cars if treated properly and maintained.

Also second Tomaso and DC's comments, it is spring and bikes and cars will be coming up for sale. Be patient. Most of us waited and searched for a long time for that special car that spoke to us and ended up being the dream come true. This particular car is a non-starter unless you get it for salvage money and restore it to OEM. Even then, it is a stretch. It's one thing to buy a driver, it's quite another to buy a headache. Just my .02.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Gallardos, for whatever reason, very often get modded badly. I see some weird looking thing on the steering wheel, another thing under the auto trans buttons, and i dont think that handbrake boot is factory? Stitching looks odd. I always hesitate when I see a car that was modified at all, especially if it was modified strangely like this one was. Some people just have weird taste, but others want to cover up damage history.

When I see factory parts changed for parts like this, I just assume they did it because it was cheaper than OEM, which isnt a good sign.

I also routinely spend 11 months looking for the perfect car and I'm a bit neurotic and overly critical with this stuff. Be patient. Its hard to find a clean gallardo because it tends to attract a certain crowd. A lot of them get ruined. This isnt a car you want to be chasing problems on. Run through ScuderiaParts or Ebay and count how many parts are over $1,000 used. Maintenance isnt bad, but replacing broken/missing/weird/aftermarket parts isnt very affordable. The smallest, most inconsequential trim pieces can be surprisingly expensive.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, it seems like this car is a red flag. I saw the price and the clean history and thought it would be a good car to drive for a bit, but the more I dig into it, the more issues appear. Shame.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
17,533 Posts
Not to be a party pooper but, new seats or covers would cause me to examine that vehicle further. The carpet also seems pretty filthy. Maybe a mildew / mold / flood issue ???. The seats may have just been recovered for a cool look or to cover up something else. Just an observation.
Yeah, that make sense. You have to wonder what else might be wrong that is not visible. Sure looks like a lot of mud at the door and the carpet. It's odd that they didn't put in new carpets when they did the seats.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gallardos, for whatever reason, very often get modded badly. I see some weird looking thing on the steering wheel, another thing under the auto trans buttons, and i dont think that handbrake boot is factory? Stitching looks odd. I always hesitate when I see a car that was modified at all, especially if it was modified strangely like this one was. Some people just have weird taste, but others want to cover up damage history.

When I see factory parts changed for parts like this, I just assume they did it because it was cheaper than OEM, which isnt a good sign.

I also routinely spend 11 months looking for the perfect car and I'm a bit neurotic and overly critical with this stuff. Be patient. Its hard to find a clean gallardo because it tends to attract a certain crowd. A lot of them get ruined. This isnt a car you want to be chasing problems on. Run through ScuderiaParts or Ebay and count how many parts are over $1,000 used. Maintenance isnt bad, but replacing broken/missing/weird/aftermarket parts isnt very affordable. The smallest, most inconsequential trim pieces can be surprisingly expensive.
I didn't even notice that steering wheel because I was so flabbergasted by the seats. I'm not even sure what that thing is on it or why the handbrake looks off. Very very bizarre. I spoke to one of the previous owners and he said the interior definitely didn't look like that when he had it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ouch man, everybody's beating this one up. What Dealer, type of Carlot, etc. is selling this car? I haven't seen any pictures of it except for that interior. Once you get to this level of vehicle you have to be wary of Everything. I was a Technician at a multi-car Franchise for over 12 years and learned much about the business having friends in all departments. You can tell much about a 'Dealer' just eyeballing what's on their lot, service dept, and Storage area/lot. I research the selling Dealer and the VIN# of the car thoroughly before I even go look at it. This one you're looking at is likely an auction car judging from the strikes against it. That dealer Knows it's no 6 figure car, but they're still trying to maximize profit @ 90k which is a good price Until you start to look it over. 40k miles barely puts it there, then start knocking off for everything else. If you hold out a bit you can get a Nice LP in the 100-110k range. I've seen them, I bought one, just turned 20k miles last week and it's Beautiful in so many ways. Think of how many years you could drive a 15-25k car before you hit the mileage that car has on it right now.
Yeah that's probably the direction I'm heading. How was the clutch on your car when you purchased it?

·
Vendor
2,666 Posts
Generally speaking, if the seats were done well and it was a quality job, I think that could be a benefit. Again, depends on quality of the job, etc.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah that's probably the direction I'm heading. How was the clutch on your car when you purchased it?
That indeed was the one question I never got answered. It was a Mercedes Stealership 3 hours away who actually has an Audi Dealership 15 miles from me. I should have pushed for a 'free' clutch snap there but after I saw how absolutely clean the car was I literally forgot about it.... maybe even subconsiously I didn't care. The first owner leased it for 36 months and turned it in w/ less than 3k miles on it (so what's the point then?!) the second owner had it ever since and was a fanatic obviously, and traded in on an SLS. I'm more apt to take my chances w/ that because I'm no stranger to doing clutches. My 911 broke a pressure plate @ 17k miles and I did that in my garage for $600 after the Dealer told me it MIGHT be covered under warranty, or cost $3500 if they determined it doesn't. I'm not a gambler so I decided better to drop cash for the parts and do it myself..... Didn't actually research it but I can't imagine this would be any worse (besides more expensive parts) w/ the trans hanging out the back there. Seems it may be even easier and a good time to swap a exhaust in

1 - 20 of 22 Posts