Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I for one would love Lamborghini to make another SUV, and would MUCH prefer one over the upcoming Lagartijo, am I alone in this regard?

Anyway, most of you guys on here know more about Lamborghini than I do, so what do you think, is it possible, probable, or anything at all?

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
I think it would be a mistake with the hordes of SUV's on the road and what they represent today. Lamborghini needs to stay an exclusive high end exotic car maker, and not to try conqure all the automotive markets like many car makers do. They don't have a very good track record in succeeding. In any case if they do, it'll be an Audi, not a Lamborghini.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Leave the SUV makers to the SUV's. Let Lambo continue to make the great sportscars. There are way too many SUV's on the road and that make me vomit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm with you, I'd like to see them go off road, since I live off road part time.

If they do it, I think it should be like a Mercie on steroids, like a Lambo for Schwarzenegger. Don't just put a Lambo emblem on a VW Toureg. Make something a little like the latest Bat Mobile :D I saw a lot of Countach in the Bat Mobile's styling cues. I don't think it should be a continuation of the LM line, which are pretty cool, but they've already done that.

The Audi/VW group, has gained a lot of experience off road fielding highly modified Touregs in the extreme Paris Dakar rally.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't mind SUVs that are Explorer-sized and smaller, but it's not a task for Lamborghini. If Lambo continues to widen its product range, it'll become so much less of the exoticar maker we all know and love. An SUV seems very contradictory to the brand and, as Raymond said, it will very likely be just a spinoff of the VW Touareg/Audi Q7. Maserati is ready to produce its SUV based off the recent Kubang concept, and I hope that Lamborghini isn't ready to bring itself to that level.
The LM002 was kinda cool, but it did terribly in profit/sales terms. And, although I mean no offense to owners, it just didn't seem to fit with the Lamborghini gran turismo ideal.

VW Group seemed to be handling the brand so well, and I think the Lagartijo is a great idea. But I will be most disappointed in them if I find an engine wrenched directly from under the hood of the A8/Phaeton sitting in a Lambo's engine bay, and I will be appaled if Lamborghini is going to be degraded into following the SUV trend.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think the definition needs to be changed. Lambo should build an aggressive offroad vehicle with a 6.2 liter v-12 w/ over the top luxury with enough towing power for the other lambo. Imagine pulling up in a Lambo rambo that is trailering another lambo. Wow... that would be a statement. Plus, what serious offroader have we seen lately? Most on the market is a serious watered down "SUV" . The LM002 was meaner and more aggressive and truly was a pioneer in the performance offroad w/ luxury segment. Why not have Lambo show them how to truly build one. An offroader w/ a v-12 and the famed bull sign definitely turns some heads. Or better yet, wonder if the 7.0 liter marine engine could be adopted for it? I feel that Lamborghini is not necessarily just limited to sports cars. I believe lamborghini has always provide the alternative and more exciting route in terms of driving pleasure. So why not an offroad one? Since most of the newer lambos are so refined and slick, why not have a in your face type of vehicle to give the marque back some of that aggressiveness and over the top identity we sorely miss? Food for thought...

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
...quote " an SUV seems contradictory to the brand"....! I couldn't disagree more. Lamborghini was at the forefront of the SUV market. I think we could even agree that they INVENTED the SUV market. The LM 002 was one of the most revolutionary designs ever in the car market, and even today would be selling well. I think Lambo's image would be just a 'special' and 'exotic' if they were to produce a modern day version of the "Lamoot" (LM002). The Porsche Cayenne, although ugly, has to be acknowledged as being a vehicle that has broadened the appeal of the brand. I would love to jump in my new Lambo SUV, radically styled, and cruise around town with my two kids and dog...!! The Murci is great, but there are times a LM 002 would be very welcome. Thoughts please.....?

·
Registered
163 Posts
The inventor of the SUV market?! What about Jeep? International?? You can't say that they are the forefront of the SUV market just because they create an excellent SUV. It also has to sell. The LM 002 didn't, because Lamborghini wasn't recognized as a rugged off-roader company. Same reason the Phaeton isn't selling well. It's an excellent car. But it has the wrong badge. The Vauxhall/Opel VX220. Right car, wrong badge. There are lots of cases where this happens. BMW and M-B are still considered the prestigous German luxury names, even if VeeDub can crank out a better car. And the Lotus Elise wasn't meant to carry a Vauxhall badge. And I feel that, even if it's a better off-roader than the Humvee of those days, it's just not proper for it to wear the Lamborghini badge. And Hummers/Jeeps were still the benchmark for that type of vehicle. You may be of the mind that Lamborghini is suited to producing big polluting SUVs that are a foot off the ground, that is by all means fine; you're entitled to your opinion there, but what if they produced a $20K Scion tC competitor? For me, they seem equally ridiculous.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you all make excellent points.

while on the one side i would love to see another lambo truck with lamborghini performance to match lamborghini looks for the offroad, on the other side, the idea that such a creation could compromise the brand are equally well-founded thoughts.

perhaps the day of the monster lambo is gone for good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
miuracorse2913 said:
The inventor of the SUV market?! What about Jeep? International?? You can't say that they are the forefront of the SUV market just because they create an excellent SUV. It also has to sell. The LM 002 didn't, because Lamborghini wasn't recognized as a rugged off-roader company. Same reason the Phaeton isn't selling well. It's an excellent car. But it has the wrong badge. The Vauxhall/Opel VX220. Right car, wrong badge. There are lots of cases where this happens. BMW and M-B are still considered the prestigous German luxury names, even if VeeDub can crank out a better car. And the Lotus Elise wasn't meant to carry a Vauxhall badge. And I feel that, even if it's a better off-roader than the Humvee of those days, it's just not proper for it to wear the Lamborghini badge. And Hummers/Jeeps were still the benchmark for that type of vehicle. You may be of the mind that Lamborghini is suited to producing big polluting SUVs that are a foot off the ground, that is by all means fine; you're entitled to your opinion there, but what if they produced a $20K Scion tC competitor? For me, they seem equally ridiculous.

Before the LM002 that class of vehicle was never referred to as SUV. The only 'Sport' that a Jeep, et al was doing was huntin', fishin' and drinkin'. The original Humvee was an impressive vehicle. It couldn't get out of its own way, and handles best upside down, but impressive none the less....and the new ones are grocery getters for blinged out, cell phone toting soccer moms...the most offroad use they get is when said mom backs over the front yard while ordering take out Chinese.

I agree with Rascasse in that Lambo DID really invent the high performance SUV. A new LM002 done as only Lambo can do it would send Porsche, BMW, AMG and dare I say Range Rover Sport (now there's an oxymoron)..........running away with their tail between their legs.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Personally, I'd like to see an exotic, high performance SUV, but not dealerships
forced to take N lambo SUVs into inventory, where N > 1, for each Murcielago
or Gallardo ordered. That would be BAD !

I think some of that was going on back when the LM002 was around and I
recall dealers complaining about it. I even recall a dealer telling me (I don't
think he was kidding) that at one point, he had to take 3 LM002's for
each Countach he could get, or something like that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I never said anything about high-performance. He was talking about the entire sport-utility vehicle industry. Lamborghini did not invent that. The first real high performance SUV? That is arguable. But not the whole segment.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i think that the LM really hatched the idea of a high performance off road vehicle with luxury to match. There were defiinitely no equals at that time. Look at all these high performance suvs now. They are just getting into exactly what the LM did in the late 80s. sure, no one might have liked it at the time. But look at it now. it looks right at home amidst porsche suv, bmw suv, etc. That to me was the spirit of lamborghini. to try things that no one had really done. And if they remade it. Wow, would I be the first to line up for that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What Performance SUVs are out there? The Mercedes? The Cayenne? With Turbo it's alright on the road, and snow. I've seen how they test them, but I would be nervous to do too much with them. For some people they're perfect, I need a little more offroad. The Hummer H1 is a great dedicated offroad vehicle, but is a beast on the road, and it's a little on the wide side when you're on narrow roads. I'm starting to get fed up with my '97 Defender 90, which I'm having a lot of problems with mechanically. :(

The LM is quite a truck, I think there's a void for something like that. As long as they were made in limited numbers, I think they'd do really well. I've thought about getting an LM. There's one that I've seen a couple of times, in Manhattan, he drives like crazy. In fact I almost got run over by it once. :D He looks like he's having a good ol time, it's the perfect car to tear it up in NYC with all the cobble stones, pot holes, and the cops that hardly ever give out traffic tickets.

Does anybody know what their gearing is like? Are they just built for all out dessert speed? Or do they have some low gears for steep stuff? When I first heard about them back in the 80's, the Saudi Border Guard were using them, and I remember there was talk of them being able to do something like 120mph or something on sand???

As far as Lamborghini's lineage, they started out making tractors, you don't get any more offroad than that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
As long as the SUV costs $200k or more, then I am okay with it. Part of the lambo mystique is the fact that it is very exclusive.

·
Registered
163 Posts
strawtint said:
What Performance SUVs are out there? The Mercedes? The Cayenne? With Turbo it's alright on the road, and snow. I've seen how they test them, but I would be nervous to do too much with them. For some people they're perfect, I need a little more offroad. The Hummer H1 is a great dedicated offroad vehicle, but is a beast on the road, and it's a little on the wide side when you're on narrow roads. I'm starting to get fed up with my '97 Defender 90, which I'm having a lot of problems with mechanically. :(

The LM is quite a truck, I think there's a void for something like that. As long as they were made in limited numbers, I think they'd do really well. I've thought about getting an LM. There's one that I've seen a couple of times, in Manhattan, he drives like crazy. In fact I almost got run over by it once. :D He looks like he's having a good ol time, it's the perfect car to tear it up in NYC with all the cobble stones, pot holes, and the cops that hardly ever give out traffic tickets.

Does anybody know what their gearing is like? Are they just built for all out dessert speed? Or do they have some low gears for steep stuff? When I first heard about them back in the 80's, the Saudi Border Guard were using them, and I remember there was talk of them being able to do something like 120mph or something on sand???

As far as Lamborghini's lineage, they started out making tractors, you don't get any more offroad than that.
Well, the tractors were produced by an entirely different team of people, at a different factory, with a different purpose in mind. I agree that it would be really cool to have an SUV out there with 0-60 mph in 5 seconds and a top speed of 180 but I simply don't think Lamborghini is suited to the job. That's just my opinion and that's all I wanted to say :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts