Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen many forum members buy a car and shortly after they sell it. It's not lambo specific.
Some will modify it right away after the purchase and sell it not long after.

I'm curious of the reasons behind that.
You didn't like the car after all?
Money is no object and you want to try something different?
You needed the money back etc.?

·
Registered
2006 Gallardo SE
186 Posts
For me its the thrill of the chase - I enjoy buying/selling cars - I've had mine for 6 months now - which is quite a long time for me to keep a car - but this is quite a car!

·
Registered
2022 H EVO RWD on order
2,199 Posts
Which car are you talking about? Lambos? Any? If any, here's a recent list of mine (in order of sale):

2015 F150 - hit 100k miles, needed $3k of work, and wife recently doubled miles logged due to family move
2019 Hellcat Redeye - no intent to ever sell but word of Lambo going all electric quickly changed my mind
2018 Jeep Wrangler - was a 3rd auto and had no room in the garage and my new community went to a strict parking policy
2015 Corvette - car was getting battered by the elements because in 2018 I was renting and didn't have a garage - it was breaking my heart

Like @HonkyLips I love the chase/negotiation but understand cars are typically money pits so I try not to change that often as I'm not looking to be the one to take new car depreciation on the chin annually.

·
Registered
2006 Gallardo SE
186 Posts
So in your opinion you don't mind losing some depreciation money for another car?
no, especially if I gain the use and enjoyment from it.
I take the good with the bad - daily modern common cars sure, I lose a little on them - but I use them too, I also gave up buying new cars - 3years old is the sweet spot for an immaculate one.

in the past 4 years I've made $50,000 USD buying/selling classic cars - Its been my hobby & it allowed me to afford a Gallardo in Australia (not cheap here!).

Do I think I will attempt to sell my Gallardo in 2022 - probably. Even if I sell it for what I paid I will be mortgage free and its bloody hot here in Australia lately & I might want another house with a pool this time :)

I'm going to have more fun with it first, hell I get a lot of pleasure from just looking at it in the garage - such a rare sight here

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,066 Posts
I sold some of mine because there was a newer model available. I sold one because I didn’t love the color.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Luzifer and Rcasa20

·
Registered
380 Posts
For me so much of it is the “hunt” as well as i love making things better than when i buy them(hence, why my main business is fix/flip single family homes).

Reactions: HonkyLips

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
For me so much of it is the “hunt” as well as i love making things better than when i buy them(hence, why my main business is fix/flip single family homes).
The hunt is 90% of the thrill of ownership. I am always looking for the next addition. I have a hard time parting with most of my cars so I have been adding with the initial intent to replace. Then when it comes down to replacing I just can’t. I still have space to add which is a double edge sword.

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,021 Posts
For me it’s a mixture of wanting more and what suits my needs.

Car wise I always wanted a Lambo and I knew that as my end goal. I just didn’t have a model in mind until my 30th bday when my GF (now wife) got me the exotic racing experience in Vegas. I drove an SL on track for 10 laps and from then on I only wanted an SL. I loved the raw, simple, look, special feel, etc. of the SL. At that time I didn’t have what I have now, boat, cars, trucks, houses etc. So I drove the nicest car I could afford and as I made more and more money. As I could afford more I would trade up for nicer/better car while always keeping an SL as my goal. I started with my first fast car a Charger SRT8. Then a Lexus ISF, to an M3, to a GTR, to an R8, to my SL.

While I always had a car, I also had a truck to go with it. Most were crap trucks that I didn’t car about. I had Tacoma’s, F150’s, 1500’s etc. Once I started getting nicer cars I wanted nicer trucks. So I ditched the beater trucks and my first nice truck was a Dodge Dakota R/T. Then a Ford Lightning (I loved that truck) but I needed more room and more usability so I got a Silverado SS. I had that for 4 years until 2011 when the first 4 door Raptor came out in 2011 with the 6.2. Then traded that in for a 2015 platinum F250 because now my boats were getting bigger. Then I traded that for a 2018 Raptor because I thought a Gen 2 Raptor could tow my 28 ft, 7k lb boat since it had a towing capacity of 8k. My river house is also .5 a mile from the launch ramp so I wasn’t taking it far. Wow, I was very wrong so I traded that Raptor for my new F250 Tremor.

For the first time I’m content with what I have. My Tremor does everything. I love my SL and in maybe 10 years it will be a rarer car. So I’m not trading up anymore, now I’m just adding…. Now I want to add a 458 or a Turbo S. Last of the high pitch V8 from Ferrari but Porsche engineering is awesome. You can hammer a TS all day and it’s fine, but I also found a nice 430 Scud…. I don’t know which one to buy….. I think a scud and an SL would be awesome to have both but the 458 and TS are great cars!

Reactions: Loxo and Luzifer

·
Premium Member
21,066 Posts
The hunt is 90% of the thrill of ownership. I am always looking for the next addition. I have a hard time parting with most of my cars so I have been adding with the initial intent to replace. Then when it comes down to replacing I just can’t. I still have space to add which is a double edge sword.
Lol, if I had space I would have kept them all! I agree with the "hunt", that is what I am doing now.

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
563 Posts
I tend to keep cars 5 years average, only 2 have gone past the 10 year mark. Last year I had my first 3 month deal...... an Alfa Romeo 4C as a result of watching too many Youtube videos that had me selling my 'boring' Porsche after 10 years. Big Mistake. Silly me, and I promptly traded it in on my LP560 spyder....... I learned an expectation of mine I didn't recognize. My weekend cruiser has to have a certain level of Luxury and Panache. The Alfa didn't have that. It was a bone-jarring rip-snorting Tazmanian Devil. The funny thing is, NOW I want that back. NOW that I have my basic needs in a sports car covered, it would be FUN to own that 4C again, in Spider form (the other was a coupe). So now I'm on a hunt of my own, selling my Novelty worn-off 6000lb SUV Monster (here over 6 years) to get it back.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool stories! When I got the C7 Stingray little did I know that 9 months later work would boom that much and I realized I could of waited and bought a Z06. I decided not to sell it and try to get a more powerful Z06, it's a rarity those that have red seats in this country and the guy had optioned it to the hilt. Although now out of warrantee a few issues are starting to pop up. After a year of purchasing the car I realized I could now afford a lower priced Gallardo but decided to save more to reach for an H. I prefer the money sitting in the bank not even making any interest than having an in between car.

I will not sell the C7 anytime soon, it's my success trophy plus it's my summer daily driver and I do groceries every weekend with it. I find it fascinating that a lot of people don't get attached to their belongings. I like the fact once you have a car for a long time you can't blame the last guy for wearing it out or beating it, I know exactly how I drive it and how much care I put in it. Plus now it looks exactly how I want it by adding all the aero kit and other mods to my taste, I wouldn't like to start all over again.

When I get the H it'll probably the one and only, even though in the future I might be able to afford a preowned STO I wouldn't trade up as I had already planned to modify the body work a little bit to make it look more aggressive. Unless...after all that time I have lots of money! :p

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,672 Posts
I sold my Porsches out of boredom and I sold the Huracan 580-2 to own an EVO and then traded my 2021 EVO for the 2022. I still say the EVO is the best car overall I have owned to date.

Reactions: FontusBluG

·
Vendor
3,008 Posts
For me it’s a mixture of wanting more and what suits my needs.

Car wise I always wanted a Lambo and I knew that as my end goal. I just didn’t have a model in mind until my 30th bday when my GF (now wife) got me the exotic racing experience in Vegas. I drove an SL on track for 10 laps and from then on I only wanted an SL. I loved the raw, simple, look, special feel, etc. of the SL. At that time I didn’t have what I have now, boat, cars, trucks, houses etc. So I drove the nicest car I could afford and as I made more and more money. As I could afford more I would trade up for nicer/better car while always keeping an SL as my goal. I started with my first fast car a Charger SRT8. Then a Lexus ISF, to an M3, to a GTR, to an R8, to my SL.

For the first time I’m content with what I have. My Tremor does everything. I love my SL and in maybe 10 years it will be a rarer car. So I’m not trading up anymore, now I’m just adding…. Now I want to add a 458 or a Turbo S. Last of the high pitch V8 from Ferrari but Porsche engineering is awesome. You can hammer a TS all day and it’s fine, but I also found a nice 430 Scud…. I don’t know which one to buy….. I think a scud and an SL would be awesome to have both but the 458 and TS are great cars!
I agree with you. I love the 458 and also pre lp gallardo. I'm a sound guy!

Reactions: Rcasa20 and Loxo

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
458 Spider was the best sounding exotic I've owned. The engine just wails towards redline and being able to lower the rear window and listen to the engine unimpeded while the roof is up is one of the Spider's best featres.

·
Premium Member
21,066 Posts
458 Spider was the best sounding exotic I've owned. The engine just wails towards redline and being able to lower the rear window and listen to the engine unimpeded while the roof is up is one of the Spider's best featres.
The 488 sounded pretty good to me. Magnum pulled off while filming close to my house and it sounded really good.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,672 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,066 Posts
I agree with you. I love the 458 and also pre lp gallardo. I'm a sound guy!

Those are 2 of the best sounding cars I have ever heard. I still miss that high pitch roar of my 08 Gallardo. If there was one car I should have kept that was it. I envy you Jason!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts