Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Murcielago's Scissor doors simply go up, while the Aventador's Scissor doors open up and outward at a slight angle.
Here's the comparison of the Scissor doors of a Murcielago and an Aventador:
A. Side View of Murcielago (Top) and Aventador (Bottom)

B. Aventador (Left) and Murcielago (Right) doors open

Now I have some questions:
1. Why Aventador's "Scissor doors" are angled?
2. Doesn't that make it a Butterfly door since they open diagonally?
3. Are the angled Scissor doors lighter than the traditional Scissor doors since the Aventador has frameless windows while traditional Scissor doors can't do that?
4. Are the angled Scissor doors more ergonomic despite traditional Scissor doors having more advantage in tight parking spaces since the doors stay within the car's track throughout their range of movement?

Feel free to comment in the post, thank you!

·
Registered
1998 Lamborghini Diablo SV
240 Posts
Diablos (and I assume Countach) have traditional scissor doors as well. I never noticed that the Aventador's doors angled out a bit until this SVJ was parked next to mine.

4254F5D5-404B-47E1-81F7-6A7F3EEDE216_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Diablos (and I assume Countach) have traditional scissor doors as well. I never noticed that the Aventador's doors angled out a bit until this SVJ was parked next to mine.

View attachment 296492
Countach, Diablo, Murcielago, and Reventon have Traditional Scissor Doors.
Aventador, Centenario, Sian, and Veneno have Angled Scissor Doors.

I also noticed the difference of the door designs in the interior of Murcielago (Top) and Aventador (Bottom):

·
Registered
213 Posts
1. You'll have to search around until you can find a source given by Lamborghini. I doubt there's any big reason. For example, one could argue that Diablo doors are way too long to open conventially anyway, but I can't imagine any particular reason for the Aventador's besides perhaps just differentiating itself from its predecessors and trying something new. Why not?
2. Yup!
3. You'll never notice the weight difference opening them yourself thanks to hydraulics. A Countach owner doesn't need them, but Diablo, Murciélago, and Aventador doors are all very heavy to lift with a single arm!
4. Debatable, but I vote no. Switching to butterfly changes the ingress/egress slightly, but scissors were were often much better for parking. V12 Lamborghinis are historically wide cars, so changing to butterfly doors means you have to consider that as well if you're parking closely to something tall (like a common SUV).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. You'll have to search around until you can find a source given by Lamborghini. I doubt there's any big reason. For example, one could argue that Diablo doors are way too long to open conventially anyway, but I can't imagine any particular reason for the Aventador's besides perhaps just differentiating itself from its predecessors and trying something new. Why not?
2. Yup!
3. You'll never notice the weight difference opening them yourself thanks to hydraulics. A Countach owner doesn't need them, but Diablo, Murciélago, and Aventador doors are all very heavy to lift with a single arm!
4. Debatable, but I vote no. Switching to butterfly changes the ingress/egress slightly, but scissors were were often much better for parking. V12 Lamborghinis are historically wide cars, so changing to butterfly doors means you have to consider that as well if you're parking closely to something tall (like a common SUV).
1&2. I found no source yet, all I know that it is all thanks to the designer Filippo Perini on why the Aventador has butterfly doors.
3. Hydraulics is brilliant engineering. About the Countach though did you mean that the doors were the lightest or it is because hydraulics isn't used yet since it is a 70s Lamborghini?
4. I also vote no. The Classic Scissor Doors are already perfect, I hope they brought them back in the next Lamborghini.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm sure hydraulics could have been used for the doors back then, but the doors themselves are quite light. It's not Lamborghini-specific -- universally doors have gotten heavier as safety equipment and other tech are added -- but still worth noting.

Oh, something that is Lamborghini specific with the Countach are its door windows. Notoriously, they only roll down a few inches, so the door itself probably doesn't even house as much glass as a normal car, which probably helps with the weight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure hydraulics could have been used for the doors back then, but the doors themselves are quite light. It's not Lamborghini-specific -- universally doors have gotten heavier as safety equipment and other tech are added -- but still worth noting.

Oh, something that is Lamborghini specific with the Countach are its door windows. Notoriously, they only roll down a few inches, so the door itself probably doesn't even house as much glass as a normal car, which probably helps with the weight.
That is nice, yes doors are heavy now because of safety ratings.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My guess is it's all to do with the window glass.

Diablo and Murcielago have frames on the glass. The frames seal with the A-pillar and roof by rubber - which is forgiving of the door going straight up and down.

The Aventador's window is frameless. I know it retracts a bit on door open but I think it just clears the roof and pillar better if it swings out a bit first.

Just a guess.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My guess is it's all to do with the window glass.

Diablo and Murcielago have frames on the glass. The frames seal with the A-pillar and roof by rubber - which is forgiving of the door going straight up and down.

The Aventador's window is frameless. I know it retracts a bit on door open but I think it just clears the roof and pillar better if it swings out a bit first.

Just a guess.
Correct, also because the Aventador has a front side window which is at the A-Pillar.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,330 Posts
The answer to question 1 is look closely at the forward hinge point / connection to the frame: the Murcialago and Diablo hinge point allows the door to directly rise up without body panel being in the way. The Aventador hinge is not all the way forward meaning the door cannot rise directly upward without hitting the body panel, so it must rotate outward of the body panel and then rise. Look closely at the two interior door pics in post 3.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The answer to question 1 is look closely at the forward hinge point / connection to the frame: the Murcialago and Diablo hinge point allows the door to directly rise up without body panel being in the way. The Aventador hinge is not all the way forward meaning the door cannot rise directly upward without hitting the body panel, so it must rotate outward of the body panel and then rise. Look closely at the two interior door pics in post 3.
Good observation, the Aventador designed with a body panel just destroys Scissor Door's Purpose of being safe when parked in tight parking space and its Purity, I hope Lamborghini goes back to its Traditional Scissor Doors in their next car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think the slight angle on the Aventador though makes the front and partial front quarter angle stance even more dramatic though. There is absolutely nothing bad looking about either design.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I think the slight angle on the Aventador though makes the front and partial front quarter angle stance even more dramatic though. There is absolutely nothing bad looking about either design.
The Aventador looks great but the doors don't make it more dramatic for me, since I saw it on the Reventon (which Aventador's design is borrowed from) has normal Scissor doors, but then we're at the era where Lamborghini makes otherworldy cars. The Sian, Centenario and the upcoming Terzo Millenio.

The car designs look futuristic for the next 2 decades, yet they should return the practicality and purity of the normal Scissor doors because the last automobile that used normal Scissor doors is from Renault Twizy which is just a small microcar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Interesting point!

But let's face it, ANY type of Lamborghini's scissor doors are GREAT!!!
Lamborghini's car designs just get better, it becomes more futuristic and more aerodynamic. Still, Aventador doors aren't real scissor doors, they are great and aesthetic but they're still butterfly doors because they open diagonally.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The Aventador looks great but the doors don't make it more dramatic for me, since I saw it on the Reventon (which Aventador's design is borrowed from) has normal Scissor doors, but then we're at the era where Lamborghini makes otherworldy cars. The Sian, Centenario and the upcoming Terzo Millenio.
View attachment 296496
The car designs look futuristic for the next 2 decades, yet they should return the practicality and purity of the normal Scissor doors because the last automobile that used normal Scissor doors is from Renault Twizy which is just a small microcar. View attachment 296495
Ok to each his own. To some extent I think the compete vertical look may appear dated a bit

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the angled doors more than the previous design, it looks more stylish IMO
Well, doors are made to be unique as part of the design of a car regardless of how practical, how ergonomic, or how cool it is. Aventador looks cool because it feels like a jet. Still, Aventador is not a Scissor door Lamborghini but a Butterfly door Lamborghini.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok to each his own. To some extent, I think the compete vertical look may appear dated a bit
Suicide doors and Gullwing doors existed longer than the Scissor doors and Butterfly doors which were made in the 60s by Alfa Romeo's concept car designers. Until now, they all look good in their unique ways.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well, doors are made to be unique as part of the design of a car regardless of how practical, how ergonomic, or how cool it is. Aventador looks cool because it feels like a jet. Still, Aventador is not a Scissor door Lamborghini but a Butterfly door Lamborghini.
To be fair are butterfly doors not more like the McLaren ones that open vertically as well? The Aventador doors are mounted in a similar manner as the other v12 Lamborghini models but have a slightly different angle of orientation yet the principle is fundamentally the same. But the mounting is different than the other style of the other brand denoted here for McLaren in that it does not pivot upwards from a more roof type of pivot. The Aventador doors do not open outwards and upwards like butterfly doors do.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts