Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Wishing everyone well at this strange time,

So I purchased my 2004 Gallardo last year in September, it had brand new Pirelli tyres on as advised by the seller (they looked new) so I didn't check the spec of them but was satified I shouldn't need to change them.

Yesterday, I went out to the motor and could see the driverside rear tyre looked flat, but couldn't tell if it was the uneven ground, I reversed out of the area (about 6 metres back) to take a better look, yep it was flat! For the first time since ownership, I noticed the Pirelli tyres were the SottoZero winter tyres!
I have done about 600 miles on these tyres since ownership and focused on other car maintenance (oil etc) as thought the tyres were for all year. I got my tyre inflator kit and connected it up, it was down to 9PSI, inflated it up to 33PSI but today its down so definitely a fast puncture situation.

My question is the following:
1. Did I do any damage to the rims or even the car by reversing 6m back on such a flat tyre?
2. Did I do any damage to the Gallardo driving on Winter tyres during the decent mild/warm weather we have had in UK from Sep-Apr?
2. As these are winter tyres, do people keep these tyres on year round if they don't want to keep changing them for summer tyres?
3. I cant find all season tyres this size (only summer or winter), Which tyres would you recommend for all year round in the UK (I probably won't drive it in ice or snow but maybe on a bright cold day)?
4. Do they need to be Pirelli as I have used Continentals on other cars which seem to last?
5. Does a Gallardo need to be on a car ramp to be able to have the tyres changed or can it be Jacked up?

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks in advance!

·
Vendor
2,666 Posts
Hi All,

Wishing everyone well at this strange time,

So I purchased my 2004 Gallardo last year in September, it had brand new Pirelli tyres on as advised by the seller (they looked new) so I didn't check the spec of them but was satified I shouldn't need to change them.

Yesterday, I went out to the motor and could see the driverside rear tyre looked flat, but couldn't tell if it was the uneven ground, I reversed out of the area (about 6 metres back) to take a better look, yep it was flat! For the first time since ownership, I noticed the Pirelli tyres were the SottoZero winter tyres!
I have done about 600 miles on these tyres since ownership and focused on other car maintenance (oil etc) as thought the tyres were for all year. I got my tyre inflator kit and connected it up, it was down to 9PSI, inflated it up to 33PSI but today its down so definitely a fast puncture situation.

My question is the following:
1. Did I do any damage to the rims or even the car by reversing 6m back on such a flat tyre?
2. Did I do any damage to the Gallardo driving on Winter tyres during decent warm weather?
2. As these are winter tyres, do people keep these tyres on year round if they don't want to keep changing them for summer tyres?
3. I cant find all season tyres this size (only summer or winter), Which tyres would you recommend for all year round in the UK (I probably won't drive it in ice or snow but maybe on a bright cold day)?
4. Do they need to be Pirelli as I have used Continentals on other cars which seem to last?
5. Does a Gallardo need to be on a car ramp to be able to have the tyres changed or can it be Jacked up?

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks in advance!

Should be fine, but look at the rim closeup.

2. Did I do any damage to the Gallardo driving on Winter tyres during decent warm weather?

No, should be fine.

No, but you would want to swap out winter tires for nice summer tires when the weather is above 40 def F. Summer tires don't work well when temp get colder but have incredible handling and hold the road with warm temps.

3. I cant find all season tyres this size (only summer or winter), Which tyres would you recommend for all year round in the UK (I probably won't drive it in ice or snow but maybe on a bright cold day)? "

There are only a few tires you want. The best I've seen and used are the Michelin Pilot sport 4s (PS4S) or the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. The Super sport is a tire that came out before the 4S and is just as good in my opinion but has a little less wet traction. The rear tire sizes in the 4s are on national back order so you can substitute those for the Pilot sports as they as so similar. If you need tires, contact me and I'll try to help you and can also ship overseas, etc.

No, do not, I repeat, do not use Pirelli. They are not a good tire to use on these cars. Both Michelin's I mentions blow those away and make the car ride much nicer all around. Total upgrade and improvement.

You can jack up the rear of the car and front, car ramp not needed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jason,

Rims look ok although, I can see on my driveway a couple of long black lines from the rear tyre where I am guessing the rims were pressing on the tyre as I reversed?

I have a provider for my tyres locally but really appreciate the offer, Will definitely take a look at the Pilot Sports. Are these summer only tyres or all year? If I am not planning using the car in snow or extreme cold, can I just keep these tyres on?

·
Vendor
2,666 Posts
Thanks Jason,

Rims look ok although, I can see on my driveway a couple of long black lines from the rear tyre where I am guessing the rims were pressing on the tyre as I reversed?

I have a provider for my tyres locally but really appreciate the offer, Will definitely take a look at the Pilot Sports. Are these summer only tyres or all year? If I am not planning using the car in snow or extreme cold, can I just keep these tyres on?
Yea, most likely that's why is is. I really wouldn't worry. The sidewall on these tires are very stiff - due to the small sidewall. You could drive on those tires completely flat on a smooth road and probably be ok. Point is, you're fine :)

The are high performance - all season tires. I don't know how bad the winters are where you are, but with these tires I don't drive the car below 32 deg F. Yes, you're fine to use these if you're not using it in extreme cold. It's going to be huge upgrade for you as I think you said you are on winter tires right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts