Lamborghini Talk banner

Which engine air filter is best for Murcie? Have 2 options

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  white out 
#1 ·
See below - I have 2 of each of these.

I've had them for a couple years, as I bought a car cover from someone on here and he included these filters and some other random parts. While my car is in the dealer, I'm having them change out these. There's no charge, as they messed up something and that's why I'm letting them swap these.

Question is, which type should I use? The UFI looks more comparable to OEM, while the BMC appears higher quality for track racing. My Murcie is in Michigan and only used for road driving, won't be used for track here. Goal is whatever is best for my engine.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The UFI is probably OEM manufacturer. That's the safest bet.

I have K&N air filters installed that are the same type as the BMC filter. I didn't notice any performance improvement, but you do get a sucking noise that some people like at the intake ports as a result of the change. There's always internet chatter with oil-soaked cloth filters that the oil mists off the fabric to foul up intake components, but who knows. I had them in several cars without issue.

#3 ·
Thanks Stimpy. Yeah I was thinking the UFI seems like the safer bet. From a quick search it looks like they are pretty cheap at $45, so I'm surprised the dealer sent someone 50+ miles to pick them up from me today. The BMC retail for $275. They picked up both types and I can give them the final as to which type to use. Yeah I haven't used a K&N since high school but after seeing the price difference between these two, I kind of want to pluck in the more pricey BMC but not if the oil misted fabric might gunk up internals like some believe.

#5 ·
I was in the performance intake design, manufacturing, and testing business for over a decade. I worked closely with K&N, BMC, as well as other OEM and aftermarket filter manufacturers. On my Murcielago I run OEM style filters like the UFI ones because they minimize any debris build up on the throttle bodies that lead to un-even idle on these cars. In my experience the marginal gains in performance offered by oiled cotton filters are not offset by the drawbacks.

#6 ·
I noticed quicker throttle response on my '02 swapping to K&N (K&N is discontinued, but the same design as BMC/SV/aFe).

The SV uses BMC style filters and Huracan EVO uses BMC filters as OE equipment. So I wouldn't be concerned using BMC. aFe has a dry cotton filter available if you don't want oiled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.