Lamborghini Talk banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

· Registered
194 Posts
Think of them as the lazy and hands-off way of picking stocks. Instead of buying them individually, you buy into an etf that generally holds securities of a certain sector or index. They usually take a small fee but do the picking for you and diversify. For example, you could buy a tech etf that buys 100 different tech stocks and will sell/buy as they see fit. I was somewhat joking about QYLD but those kind of etfs are a bit different as they’re trading leveraged securities underneath

· Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Thanks. I need to spend more time studying stock investments. I just buy land, buildings and equipment.(And lambos) All my real property has at least quadrupled in value so pretty good ROI. Most of that in 5 to 7 years.

· Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
I also try and buy property from people that need to sell or the property has issues that need to be cleaned up. If a conventional borrower can not buy it then the price will go down . Fix the issues and you get instant equity. I like estate deals also. There is always one heir willing to sell for cheap. I show them a letter from my bank that I can buy it with no problem and offer quick closing without a lot of conditions. Amazing what several hundred thousand dollars sitting in front of someone living in a trailer or apartment will make them do.

· Registered
194 Posts
For sure. All good information.

I tried several years back with a large plot of land that had several gas well leases and farm land lease. Brought in good recurring revenue for a few years but the urban sprawl went the other direction so the land never really appreciated much. Plus I think fraccing destroyed the water quality in the region..

· Registered
3,713 Posts
Think of them as the lazy and hands-off way of picking stocks. Instead of buying them individually, you buy into an etf that generally holds securities of a certain sector or index. They usually take a small fee but do the picking for you and diversify. For example, you could buy a tech etf that buys 100 different tech stocks and will sell/buy as they see fit. I was somewhat joking about QYLD but those kind of etfs are a bit different as they’re trading leveraged securities underneath
UCO use to be an ETF on Brent crude.
It went from $500 a share to $15 during the upswing in the price of oil!

and that’s where the WTF comes in

Also, the ETF manager can close shop and stop the ETF. Yep, sure sounds like fast Freddie playing craps in front of the Bellagio.

spin that wheel and as always good luck!

· Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Like all investments. They are a form of gambling. The trick in all investments is to lower your risk of loss to an acceptable level. If you buy land well below market in a growing area, worst case is to wait a few years and make just a little. Patience in land is an absolute necessity. Forget the hype. Make rock bottom offers and go dead silent. Wait until they respond. There are way too many people that get nervous after an offer and start communicating with the seller before they even have time to respond. That shows the seller you are willing to pay more. If they come back with a mediocre offer , I will usually go silent until their realtor contacts me. I will tell them I am thinking about it. They usually show their cards at that point. I come up a little and close way below asking price. Also , ignore realtors that tell you the buyer will not accept your offer. Make it in writing with a fat earnest deposit and quick closing and have them present it to the seller. Many Sellers will not disclose to realtors their real motivation for selling. Most realtors dont know their sellers near as well as they think they do. If you buy right, whether it be stocks, cars, real estate or even businesses, you are very unlikely to get hurt and likely to make a very nice profit. Dont gamble with money you cannot afford to lose. I rarely play more than $100 per hand at BlackJack. I hate to lose money. It is enough to win a couple of thousand, get free room and meals and not risk losing 10K. My Investing is relative to the risk of loss. If I am risking 7 figures, I want my loss potential to be 6 figures. If for example , I had a deal where I could invest 4 mill to make 6 Mill profit but could lose 3 million, I would take the deal instead where I spend 2 million to make 2 million and could lose 400K. I think next year , lots of investors will begin balancing risk and moving towards safer investments. Anyone with big lambo payments may look at that and say maybe I should sell it while the market is high. Those of us with that paid cash will probably just sit on them. If the bottom falls out, I become a buyer again. The risk of loss when prices are way down is very low. When prices are high, loss potential is off the charts. Right now buying lambos is a pretty high-risk deal unless the money is disposable and you can afford to lose. Lee

· Registered
719 Posts
The secret is to buy property on the edge of where growth is coming. Not hard to predict. Just look at maps from prior years and follow the trend. Get out ahead of the growth and wait for it to go up.
You’re welcome to buy this data from the company I work for 😁.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts