Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been addressed before, but a search on the archives didn't come up with anything. Has anyone tried to install a radar detector (I have a V1) on a Gallardo? The cigarette lighter is way in the back of the cabin, which makes it a) difficult to reach the detector without an extension cord and b) really ugly to have a wire running down the middle of the interior. Any suggestions on how to do this better, or if anyone has tried to wire it directly into the car? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
The sunglass compartment on the lower bottom driver side is a good place to store the unit..and have it hard wired to the car there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a V1 and the detector simply needs to be high and with unobstructed views through the front and rear windows to function properly. I thought about trying to mount it in a really clever way, but I switch the V1 from car to car, so it needed to be easily removed.

Anyway, I use the suction cup mount high and just to the right of the rearview mirror. I draw power from the passenger footwell fuse block and run the hardwire cord up from there, under the passenger A-pillar molding, and underneath the headliner. You don't need to drop the headliner, just gently tuck the wiring inder the front of it along the windshield. The A-pillar molding just pops off, but the top "christmas tree" is very tenatious and may pull off the molding completely and have to be glued back on - no big deal in the latter case. You will want to use a coathanger to snake from the top of the dash (WAY forward where the A-pillar goes) to the fuse block area in the passenger footwell. First time I did this, it took me 3 hours so as to avoid butchering the car. Now I can do in in under and hour.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, keith. did you use glue to hold in place or just tucked it under the headliner? was the wire provided by V1 long enough to go the distance?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts