Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mechanic suggest roller skates under spoiler. He hand builds a system that has a metal frame appx 12 X 12 and the entire "frame" he builds bolts to the car frame.

What do you think? Who's done similar? I've heard some say Don't..better trash a spoiler than put pressure on frame if you bottom out.

Comments / Thoughts Welcomed...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tried to send you a message but your capacity is full,
Give me a call, I make an item that I think you will be interested in.

Regards,
BR

516 867 0917 :wave:

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Don't do it...

Don't do it!

I have that system on my car. It is called a "parking caddy" made in CA. The guy is now out of business. It's welded to the frame of the car. The biggest problem...you cannot take out the entire headlight assembly. I am painting my car and would like to take it out and cannot without removing the welds.

The system uses large skateboard wheels, I purchased them new for $140. The front spoiler is about 5 inches from the ground. The wheels of the skate are about 3 inches from the ground. One problem I see; if you are going fast over a bump that is 4.5 inches without them nothing will happen, with them, you could brake the frame of the skate wheels or worse have it push-up and do damage to the bumper or another body part.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
His system "bolts" to the frame rather than welds.

Agree with your thoughts about it further lowers clearance by the mear fact of having them.... I've never bottomed out in the FCar. Just a matter of being constantly aware.

John - U still insterested in an instrument pod?

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Frank,

I spoke to Ben above. His system is better than the wheels. He is sending pictures soon.

Thanks again for the offer. I found out that my pod was changed to the lower one and I was thinking it was a 91. A 91 would fit but would be higher than mine. I had mine repaired. :wave:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John - Spoke with Ben also...waiting for pix.

POD - I bought a Koeings model and it's comming from Germany now... I also built a prototype from an "old one" that I lowered about 3". Being upholstered now, will post pix of both when done!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have skate board wheels under my front spoiler on my c5 corvette.
Any vette form should have a picture. I got mine from Andy at A&A Corvette (or what ever name follows the A&A). Works great.

I have no Lambo "skate" experiences to offer.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have a question about this system: Do the skateboard wheels retract when not in use? I'd imagine they'd ruin the looks otherwise.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
No, they don't change the look. You can hardly see them. The front spoiler sits 5 inches from the ground and the wheels are about 3.5, sit back about 6 inches in and mounted up about 2 inches. You only see a portion of the wheels. They are held on the same way they are attached to a skate board, four screws. I don't think I will put them on my car when my comes back home. Too many bad roads in NYC.

This set cost me $145 US at the local Skate board store in the mall. Yellow to match my car.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
John thanks for posting the pix..

Wheels are out... Again, it LOWERS you ground clearance - Also, with the wheels set back 6", the front lip will hit before the wheels get a chance to take the impact.

The idea is to preserve the outermost front edge of the spoiler.

The system that Ben has is offered in 2 set ups. 1) contours flush around the leading edge of the spoiler or 2) contours the spoiler, but extends outward by 1/2 inch...giving a custom spoiler look. Using #2 you would have to paint it the same color as your car.

Should have pix on Tuesday...

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Did you notice?

Frank,
Did you notice I snuck in a picture of my rear deck with the wheel pics. I'm almost finished sanding it then onto the wing. Fun, Fun, Fun!!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John -

Did not know you were doing a re-store until just now when I looked at your profile... Boy you must be anxious and waiting for spring!

What color are you painting and are you going with black or stock silver rims?

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Spring can't come soon enough! I still have the paint to finish. This will take some time.

I had all the wheels stripped and polished. I am 99% sure I will keep the car superfly yellow, the orig. color. I changed the interior color to black.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello,

I have finalized a product that I think will resolve the scuffing and cracking spoiler problems that all Diablos out there are having. I have had it on my 92 Diablo for about 3 months and it has served me well. It is now for sale. It is made for low speed impacts i.e. Driveways, Speed bumps and low speed slops. If interested please PM me Privately or email me at [email protected]. I can go through the details with you. It is in the early stages of being marketed.

I was holding off on the item, due to the need for legal patent protection.

Regards, :)
BR

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK count me in. I'll be the frist to try and post comments here with a brief write up for anyone else that's interested.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Front spoiler protector

215MPH said:
Tried to send you a message but your capacity is full,
Give me a call, I make an item that I think you will be interested in.

Regards,
BR

516 867 0917 :wave:
Ben is doing mine right now..had front facia repaired once before just ot have it scrape and chip as these cars are so low and always getting messed up..Ben is making mine as we speak..saw it on his blk diablo and it looks and functions great..Great idea Ben..these are going to sell like hotcakes..no gimmickry here just logic! Thanks Ben..

Adam

·
Registered
32 Posts
wheels under spoiler could be unsafe.

I dont recomend that you install the wheels under your spoiler...
I have seen more then one lambo rub its spoiler at very high speeds during a
turn. If the wheels are installed it could unwaight the front tires & upset
the car. Could be unsafe to drive at high speeds or during hard driving.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts