Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know what to check for when it comes to purchasing a used Huracan in the terms of shady repairs, rolled back odometer, undocumented collisions etc.

I've noticed in some videos some say to check the gaps of the panels to see if they are different and may have been crashed without being documented. I saw a TV show last week and what we learned carfax doesn't have access to all insurance companies so that means you can't have an accurate account of the car.

How does one verify for clues if it has been damaged or fixed by a balling wire mechanic, or a rolled back electronic odometer?

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
I'd like to know what to check for when it comes to purchasing a used Huracan in the terms of shady repairs, rolled back odometer, undocumented collisions etc.

I've noticed in some videos some say to check the gaps of the panels to see if they are different and may have been crashed without being documented. I saw a TV show last week and what we learned carfax doesn't have access to all insurance companies so that means you can't have an accurate account of the car.

How does one verify for clues if it has been damaged or fixed by a balling wire mechanic, or a rolled back electronic odometer?
I think your best bet is to check the service records & pull ECU data to check rpm to how many times it was redlined. If the car has been red lined too much, negotiate to see the dealer allows borescope check on the engine. Or just get the extended warranty & ask an independent mechanic to do a borescope & inspection if you want to get rid of lemon or any worries.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very good advice, thank you! Since there will only be only 3-4 cars (2015-2017+-) in my budget scattered across the vast country it's still going to be a difficult task to coordinate verifications over the phone because I won't be able to physically go check the car out. The other thing is being able to trust the dealers in telling the truth about the ECU data or any other information. Just with my vette the 2 dealers I had to deal under the warrantee were atrocious so I hope those dealers are better and courteous enough to show me the ECU data. I wonder how long are or were the warranties of 2015-2017.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Very good advice, thank you! Since there will only be only 3-4 cars (2015-2017+-) in my budget scattered across the vast country it's still going to be a difficult task to coordinate verifications over the phone because I won't be able to physically go check the car out. The other thing is being able to trust the dealers in telling the truth about the ECU data or any other information. Just with my vette the 2 dealers I had to deal under the warrantee were atrocious so I hope those dealers are better and courteous enough to show me the ECU data. I wonder how long are or were the warranties of 2015-2017.
In my place, the warranty is 3 years with extended 4th and 5th. I think I can buy longer warranty if I wanted to. I'm sure your dealer has yearly warranty for like hefty fee (maybe $8-9k per year?).

Unless the previous owners all drive like grandpas or like me, I would check the car physically before handing them my hard earned money. "Just" fly over to check it out - like getting a short vacation :) Also, you can get a pretty good feeling of the sales guy (if he's lying to you or not or a total crook) by talking to him and also you can check around the dealership to see how they treat their cars and customers.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Since we are not talking about a car that is cheap to purchase and service, always get a trained professional who knows about these cars to do a thorough inspection. Find an independent shop that has experience. If its a local car, a car across the country, it wont matter. The expense is worth it. I don’t know your financial situation, but even if you had $200,000+ to lose, an inspection is paramount.,

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't fly due to my ears hurting so bad it's not an option, I lost my hearing last time for several days and the pain was excruciating, so if the car is on the other side of the country it's a 5-7 day car rental ride and the same amount back driving the Lambo back myself or having it trailered.

Oh yeah I need to have it inspected for sure, I can't trust the dealer for an inspection but since I will be dealing by phone before I ever decide to take to drive across country will they let a tow truck pick it up to go to an independent shop for an in depth inspection?

Right now since the price hike the cheapest ones available are over 250K. My budget at first was 215 to 240K and now it has to be stretched. I'm still saving up and I'm definitely not jumping on right away, I'm taking this time to plan and do a whole lot of research.

Getting one for example at 260K will cost around 300K with taxes.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
For your situation your best bet is to buy from a dealer in my opinion. Forget little boutique exotic car lots and private party. If you buy from a well known dealer you shouldn't have any problems and they will take care of you. You should try and find who this dealer will be and the closer to you the better. Establish a relationship with them and let them know what you're looking for and when you'll be ready.

ECU data won't really tell you anything because it has a rev limiter like all modern cars. Everyone here has bounced off the rev limiter so it's not really an issue. Out of all the years I've been on this forum. I've heard of only one engine being defective and that was on a brand new car and was immediately replaced.

·
Registered
536 Posts
A PPI by a good shop will give you some peace of mind however some shops are better than others and things can still get missed. If you can’t personally go and see the car I would recommend purchasing from a reputable Lamborghini dealership (some are better than others) or someone like Roy at Cats Exotics. The small cost up front for a good PPI can save you a lot in the future although for the most part the Huracan seems to be very reliable.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,654 Posts
Right now since the price hike the cheapest ones available are over 250K. My budget at first was 215 to 240K and now it has to be stretched. I'm still saving up and I'm definitely not jumping on right away, I'm taking this time to plan and do a whole lot of research.

Getting one for example at 260K will cost around 300K with taxes.
+1, though, does a PPI guarantee you will inherit a problem free Lamborghini? Absolutely not but it absolutely must be done.
Regarding your price point if your were to get an EVO allocation and go with few or no upgrades you could easily stay within the $215K to $240K. The base price for the EVO RWD coupe is $209K.........just something to consider.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Buy from your local dealer and establish a relationshp with both sales and serivce. This is what I have done over the years and it has paid off numerous times over.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1, though, does a PPI guarantee you will inherit a problem free Lamborghini? Absolutely not but it absolutely must be done.
Regarding your price point if your were to get an EVO allocation and go with few or no upgrades you could easily stay within the $215K to $240K. The base price for the EVO RWD coupe is $209K.........just something to consider.
So my limited research of 10 minutes, A website says Evo starts at 245K CAD another says they start at 350K. I went and checked the used market for Evo's they start at 340 up to 430K. We also will have the luxury tax and it's probably going to be a deal breaker.

One thing I do not want is a 2WD Lambo if I can avoid it, I can only compare with my C7, forget about doing hard pulls in March, April till mid May, the pavement is too cold and it's a crash waiting to happen. Even with traction control on the car swerves and it's terrifying. Then Mid Sept, October, November little 4 cylinder Hondas can outrun me. On those specific months I had to be very gentle on the throttle.

I guess the only way to find out the prices is to call a dealer in the closest city and see if they are already discontinued.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
15,654 Posts
^^All excellent points and that luxury tax is an absolute killer.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
So my limited research of 10 minutes, A website says Evo starts at 245K CAD another says they start at 350K. I went and checked the used market for Evo's they start at 340 up to 430K. We also will have the luxury tax and it's probably going to be a deal breaker.

One thing I do not want is a 2WD Lambo if I can avoid it, I can only compare with my C7, forget about doing hard pulls in March, April till mid May, the pavement is too cold and it's a crash waiting to happen. Even with traction control on the car swerves and it's terrifying. Then Mid Sept, October, November little 4 cylinder Hondas can outrun me. On those specific months I had to be very gentle on the throttle.

I guess the only way to find out the prices is to call a dealer in the closest city and see if they are already discontinued.
Luxury tax on new purchase or pre owned?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Luxury tax on new purchase or pre owned?
New cars.

“Even as Canadians have sacrificed to keep our economy going through the pandemic, some of the wealthiest have done well,” the budget document says.
“Those who can afford to buy luxury goods can afford to pay a bit more. To that end, the government is following through on its commitment to introduce a tax on select luxury goods.”

The tax is calculated at the lesser of:

20 per cent of the value above threshold ($100,000 for cars and personal aircraft; $250,000 for boats) ; or
10 per cent of the full value of the luxury car, boat or personal aircraft

My understanding for a New Evo @250K x 10%(Luxury tax) = 275K
Add provincial and federal taxes 275K x 15% = 315K
Total taxes 65K
Cost of a new Evo = 315K
No F/N thanks! = Used car prices will not come down anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I’m confused, are you buying new or used? Above you talk about car fax and shotty mechanics which suggests buying used. If this is the case, you don’t need to bother calculating luxury tax. It does not apply unless it is on used cars.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I’m confused, are you buying new or used? Above you talk about car fax and shotty mechanics which suggests buying used. If this is the case, you don’t need to bother calculating luxury tax. It does not apply unless it is on used cars.
I want to buy used,
Lambo2018 said I could also consider a new car, maybe the price difference of a new car and inflated used car prices might not be so great.
Then I replied about the new car prices
And you asked about the Luxury tax
I described what the new car tax is

So my conclusion it still might be preferable for me to buy used.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
My friend get out of canada...with dicktator trudoe
I heard that one so many times to move out. I know we are gouged by taxes it's unbelievable. Alas I don't want to start from scratch, I'm at the top of my game and maybe by moving down south I'd have to charge less thus making less money? Heck last year with the taxes I had to dish out it paid for a nice second hand Ferrari to one of the leaders of the country. Every year I buy them a used Ferrari!

·
Registered
2008 Maserati GT 4.2
28 Posts
I heard that one so many times to move out. I know we are gouged by taxes it's unbelievable. Alas I don't want to start from scratch, I'm at the top of my game and maybe by moving down south I'd have to charge less thus making less money? Heck last year with the taxes I had to dish out it paid for a nice second hand Ferrari to one of the leaders of the country. Every year I buy them a used Ferrari!
what area of Canada are you in? I’m in Vancouver; the car markets pretty inflated atm though; can you wait another year maybe?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
what area of Canada are you in? I’m in Vancouver; the car markets pretty inflated atm though; can you wait another year maybe?
Yes I'm waiting and I'm not ready yet anyway but in my opinion car prices will not go down for a very long time because of the new tax and already this price hike trend, buyers are going to snatch up the used cars first. Cars that were under 250K were snatched up within 2-5 days, the "slow mover" cars of 250-270 are still stagnant and have been there for months. I've also noticed the Stagnant Gallardo's began to look enticing price wise compared to the H so now most of them are gone.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts