Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about how people set up an LLC in Montana and buy their toy in the name of the LLC (not the only reason but mostly to save the sales tax).

In my case, I am looking to avoid a front tag on the car facia and any silly registration/ inspection stickers on the windshield.

Is this possible in the US?

The next question then is can the car be registered in a different state than the one where it will be operated/ garaged and different from the state the driver's license is issued?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hey V21... Here in PA we have NO front plate BUT do have window stickers.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
law varies but you can drive the car for 2 weeks at a time in a different state generally. in most cases, you will be asked for out of state residency if you get pulled over. at a minimum, your license needs to be out of the state if your car is out of state.

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
14,017 Posts
No window stickers in Hawaii. I've never put a front plate on my cars, but they are required.

·
Registered
375 Posts
NC. No front plates, and we did away with the inspection sticker on the windshield years ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps this should be a sticky.

Thank you guys.

One plate only states:
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia.

Would love to know which of those also have no windshield stickers.
So far we know: Florida, North Carolina. Michigan?

So, NC sounds good. FL sound even better (no state income tax!).

But to get FL tags, I need a FL license, right? And therefore I need to establish residency there to get the DL, correct?

Anyway to get around that? Registering the car to a company domiciled in FL instead?

Would it also be odd to an officer, if I drove around in NY with a car registered to a LLC with a FL address and handed that over along a NY DL?

C

·
0 Posts
Perhaps this should be a sticky.

Would it also be odd to an officer, if I drove around in NY with a car registered to a LLC with a FL address and handed that over along a NY DL?
Lets see now, I have a NC DL and live in SC since 1981. Car tag in SC, no stickers anywhere. I do own a piece of property in NC, about the size of a postage stamp, law does not say how much or how big property has to be.
I kinda want to keep NC DL as I have had it since I turned 16 and I am now approaching 71.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Tennessee also has no stickers and no state income tax. But the potential problem with the Montana deal or any out of state registration in a state in which you don't actually have a residence or functioning business is whether the state you do live in (and will be primarily driving in) is aggressive about pursuing the tax avoidance issue. Regardless of what the people pushing the Montana or other schemes say, I'm pretty sure registering a vehicle to an out of state LLC you set up but which actually does no business and generates no revenue is not going to pass legal muster if the state you live in really pushes the issue. Many states may not have many resources in place to investigate the situation, while others (say CA) I think are pretty aggressive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are right. Everything I have read points to what you explained.

However, how would a state find out and start looking into such a situation?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have been reading about how people set up an LLC in Montana and buy their toy in the name of the LLC (not the only reason but mostly to save the sales tax).

In my case, I am looking to avoid a front tag on the car facia and any silly registration/ inspection stickers on the windshield.

Is this possible in the US?

The next question then is can the car be registered in a different state than the one where it will be operated/ garaged and different from the state the driver's license is issued?

Thank you in advance.
Tax evasion, a long with multiple counts of fraud. you need to provide an address for registration and insurance. Once the cop sees you've been living in the current state for more than three months or w.e. the law is your liable to get a substantial fine. If you get in an accident and the insurance company finds out the situation they're not liable to pay.

Just leave the front plate off. I've had mine off for a year, been pulled over twice and seen hundreds of cops without a problem. I'm pretty sure they're not too lenient about registration stickers though. Just pay the taxes and register it in your state it's by no means worth the hassle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Not looking to evade the taxes. I don't care about the money. My cars are all NY-registered, no front tag (have gotten a few tickets over the years, all by meter maids, none from a cop) but I have seen a few out of state cars without any stickers on the windshield at all and no front tag and became curious. If it can be done legally, I would love to since I prefer that clean look.

Updated list, no stickers/ front plate required
Arizona, Florida, Michigan, North Carolina, Tennessee.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would just say choose your battles wisely. I have not had a front plate on my NSX since the day he was born in 1997. I have never been pulled over for lack of a front plate in NJ on this car. But I'm sure if I pushed the limits and blacked out all the windows are dark as I could get them, "murdered out the lights, turn signals, and headlights", or tinted the windshield, or took off the inspection sticker,all this while talking and texting on your phone, a cop wouldn't hesitate to ticket for all of the offenses. Cops are people too, and lots of them even car lovers. Some will be jealous asses, and write you for anything, but if you keep low key, and not just try to make everything on you car blatantly illegal, I think that most will realize you have a beautiful piece of machinery and won't bust your balls too much

1 - 16 of 16 Posts