Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your daily motivation that keeps you energized for your next goal?

Today I was a little anxious as I had to go to a house that I knew was not very clean. I patted the die cast before I went in with an enthusiastic attitude. When I got out I was happy mission accomplished, more funds for the H project. I took a long look at the miniature and the other hot wheels I keep below the dash because why not I spend a lot of time in my truck. Then I put some good "sports car tunes" while driving to my next job.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
10,833 Posts
I can't be of much help because I have been retired for over 6 years so now I devote myself to my second love physical fitness. I know, I am a deeply disturbed human being but it keeps me motivated. 🤷‍♂️ BTW, were is the front license plate on your STO?

Reactions: DXM31

·
Registered
146 Posts
First and foremost, I give you much credit in having a good work ethic and future goals. From your posts, you seem like a fine young gentleman and I truly hope your future dreams and aspirations come to fruition.

With regards to your question as to what keeps one motivated, I actually had to think about that a bit. I retired 7 years ago in my early fifties and what motivated me prior to retirement is quite different from what motivates me now. Prior to retirement I guess I was in 'accumulation' mode, purchasing homes, aircraft, boats, etc, and in order to purchase said items one usually has to work hard which is sometimes not all that enjoyable. Your fine example of working in a dirty home and the associated anxiety highlights what some are willing to do to fulfill their dreams.

Post retirement I am in 'dispensing' mode. Although my wife and I are relatively young, we have no children to clean up after we are gone so we decided to do it now. Many things that I worked quite hard for were simply given away to friends. Furniture, vehicles, boats, china, silver, paintings, firearms, etc, etc, etc.

The model of the STO on your dash reminds me of myself many moons ago. It was fantastic to have goals and to achieve them, but in retrospect, especially when I given so many once cherished items away, I wonder if I had my priorities straight.

I don't think I truly answered your question, but you are a smart young man with your whole life ahead of you.

I wish you nothing but success and happiness in your quest.

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
10,833 Posts
OP, when I worked I loved my work and I guess for me as a general recommendation that may or may not be of value but choose to do something that you love or can learn to love. My career was devoted to helping people and teaching and I loved it but after 40 years it was time to move aside and make room for the next generation. It reflects well on your character to even think to ask the question. The only thing I am sure of is, after all these years, I will always have more questions than answers so, keep fighting and keep laser focused on your goals and before you know it, and with a little luck, you will wind up were you want. Last parting piece of advice try not to let things happen rather make them happen, at least when possible. Hang tough, enjoy the journey it will be over before you know it.

“looking back on how things were when you were young and struggling, just barely getting by, looking desperately for your first break, hoping that things would get better someday -- but not really appreciating that in some ways those times had a happiness that later success would never recapture.” -Anonymous

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I'm yet another person who won't be answering this question in the way you are looking for. It's a thought-provoking question. I'm about 20 years into my career and am not retired yet. I was always "motivated", but I think it was more by a sense of responsibility and obligation than due to some external or material goal. I'm not sure being motivated by a material goal works that well. I've never known someone who chased money and found it. It's best to be motivated by the work, not by the reward. Financial success, the sort needed for a material reward such as a Lamborghini, is more of a trailing indicator that you have already been successful. It's an outcome of many good decisions over the course of years while not making too many unforced errors (divorce, drugs, jail, etc...)

I'm not sure about your situation, but in the event that you are already self-employed and doing a good job one at a time, which is how a lot of small businesses start out, your motivation should be to find a way to scale that "job" into 3 or 4 "jobs", and turn it into a business. It will be easiest for you to accomplish this (especially through the hard times) if you are motivated by your work, you find it meaningful, the old cliché "you love what you do". If you don't like what you do, and you just want the reward, one way to accomplish that is to find a franchise you like and buy into it. You get a good business model without having to invent one and all the hard work that comes with that. I know one guy who bought one fast food Restaurante, then another, then 9 or 10 more, and sold them all for one hundred million in under 15 years.

A business is the best way to generate passive income which can then be used to either further grow and scale the business or invest in other things. After a while, with enough discipline, there will be enough equity or wealth to go out and grab your dream car. However, the most valuable thing you will own at that point, is your time.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah retirement, that's where it's at, as long as you have hobbies it's all good. Sometimes it's hard to realize now's the time to relax, go out and enjoy the small things in life. I started to think like that, I started early and do weekend road trips in surrounding villages just for a walk, visiting local attractions, visiting shops, have lunch and have a nice drive back home.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now back to the motivation idea. The idea behind my original post was what makes your day go a little easier to achieve whatever goal you are reaching for, what things that boosts your morale in the process.

I started my one man biz from the ground up 5 years ago because it was my only way to survive in a cut throat pirate industry. I was an employee and it was hell, most of us were out of work and broke, I spoke to one guy and he was scrapping metal on garbage nights to be able to pay his mortgage. I searched and searched for another career but found a video that made me realize I can stay in the same relative field but going solo in a niche market. My first goal was to get my business license, I couldn't afford to attend classes to access the exams! I scrounged every dollar, I started assembling ikea furniture, assembling bbqs, installing winter tires etc.

There was a month break before the last class/4th exam, the cost of the last class was ultra expensive and money super tight. I told myself I needed to take a short cut risk, to drop the last class and earn the license in advance because the last stretch would push me out of the busy summer season. After that last class/4thexam I still had to pass the second phase exam which is the Masters' and by the time I'd get my license it would be winter and I would be broke/bankrupt for real. So I frantically ordered studying books, I studied and studied every spare minute I had, I even set up a folding table on the can. I reserved my spot in another city where it was the only place available to do both tests on short notice. I passed my 4th exam and Master's and got my license 2 days before the last class resumed. I was literally one month away from bankruptcy when I got my license.

Then by miracle I got a job offer as an employee however it was a very bad employer, the worst one ever! I was building my biz in the evenings and weekends, during the mandatory 2 week vacation, my style of biz was was exempt so I worked for customers that called. A few weeks later I was laid off and with the few hundred dollars at my disposal I decided I was going full time to market this puppy, make it or bust. Anyway the first years I was totally in survival mode and each dollar earned was to be more equipped, more efficient, providing better services. My second goal was just being able to get myself a small paycheck. One day I was so happy I could afford a bag of cheese curds, how strange was that but yeah! Along the way did I ever endure a bunch of crazy stories, (I deal with the public every day) it got to the point I was really depressed and not making a lot of money. In the back of my mind I thought to myself remembering the Italian festival and seeing those Lambos revving down the street, I said to myself I need to reach that level but how? I need a booster!

I thought I'd buy a very inexpensive C4 to relieve stress after work, a trophy for my achievement. The GF disapproved wildly (see the wife thread), but at the end of the year as I was doing my accounting I realized I had enough for a second hand C7 so I bought one. Guess what this achievement actually brought my stress level down several notches and because of that I had a clearer head, I reread my holy grail business book, I made adjustment to the biz and started selecting my customers better. Now I enjoy my weekends with my GF on road trips and I start off fresh on Monday in a good mood.

It's better now but it still not easy with the disrespectful comments, rude attitude I get weekly, the tantrums(a lot less now), the bad reviews, the cheaters, etc. For me these little boosters like my die casts in my truck shuns the little black cloud for a while, it pushes me forward, saving money and reaching for a higher goal like the H proves my theory from the beginning, providing better service than the competitors will pay off eventually. In order for that to work I need a positive attitude, motivation and goals to boost myself over the tidal waves. Getting the ultimate car does that for me, working day in and out without goals and motivation you get complacent, not for me, I've been at the bottom rung too long.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am still very early into my working years and I'm a long ways off from retirement. We all have different paths and I admire your work ethic. To me the greatest motivation was and still is the idea of freedom. Freedom to do as I please, within reason, and not stress. Freedom to provide a life for a potential future family, pay for my future kid's college, buy a house with a little bit of land and a white picket fence... For whatever reason Lamborghini was the symbol of that dream to me. I've never been a flashy person. In general, I keep to myself and only a handful of close friends actually know about my cars. I wanted to be able to sit in my garage after a long day and be able to stare at that piece of mechanical art that symbolized that dream is alive and well.

Like you, I have/had model Lamborghinis for as long as I can remember. For example, I had a few that I kept on my desk when I was in school to remind me to stay focused when I was working or studying. I was so worn down and those little $5 Hotwheels kept me going. To me it wasn't so much the actual car itself, but what the car represented to me. While I had no clue what it would actually be like to own or drive one, I had this idea in my head that it would be liberating to hear he sound, shift the gears, feel the wind blow through the cabin with the windows down to unwind after a long week and reset my dreams/goals. I've never really thought about this, but in a way I have substituted the models for the real thing. While it's not every night, after a long day, I find myself in the garage most nights just sitting in a lawn chair admiring the cars and dreaming about the future with a potential family, living comfortably, and providing the best life I can while doing what I love doing.

I love that you have that model in your car to push you to do what it takes to reach your own goals. I'm certain that you will reach your dreams, whatever those may be. At least in my own life, I've found that we are what we think and become who we surround ourselves with. No one is perfect at that and Lord knows I am am no role model, but if you try to let the good thoughts outweigh the bad and surround yourself with likeminded people who you yourself look up to positive things will happen to help you reach your goals. Make no mistake, there will be plenty of bad days though. You have to try and look at the glass as always half full and be willing to find the positives in even the worst of situations to make them better. Stay humble, stay kind, volunteer a piece of your time to help others, give back if you can and the rest will fall into place with time.

I look forward to hearing about your delivery day! I'd be willing to bet it's closer than you think.

·
Registered
146 Posts
One last thought.

You are already living someone else's dream. You own your own business and have a stunning C7. To most, that is a dream that may never materialize, but you have already accomplished that. You deserve much credit for that alone.

I have also found that getting that bigger house, faster aircraft, more expensive boat or vehicle, did not proportionally make me that much happier. As mentioned above, surrounding yourself with positive friends with similar interests will do considerable more than a material object can long term.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I completely agree with Jetstream's comments above. That is one of the best pieces of wisdom when you realize these things.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Many thanks for the words of wisdom!

Another thought that crossed my mind while creating this thread was how to help others that aren't in the fast track to success and the small motivators that can help along the journey.

What I noticed in the dreamers section is that a lot of youngsters who come here asking how to obtain a car often times get a reply to invest in stocks or get a very high paying job. There's little talk about the smaller paying gigs that can eventually pay well or add up quickly if you can find a way to add value. For example the McCain Brothers who didn't make a lot of money with potatoes added value to them by making fries and selling them frozen. A lot of hope is lost due to the long process of saving that much money and breather steps are a great way to see the light out of the tunnel and ultimately get to the rainbow. Also in my mind no need to have a beamer house, you can own a small house, live like you used to with a little more liberty and save up until you can buy one.

I'm in my groove now but I still like to give myself motivators, I already saved up more than a Gallardo and on my way to the H. If 2022 is as good as this year well...;)

Another thing that's fun and motivates me a lot is when I see parked super cars. Either from my work truck or my nightly drive in the C7 I stop and take a bunch of pictures.

·
Vendor
52 Posts
I can't be of much help because I have been retired for over 6 years so now I devote myself to my second love physical fitness. I know, I am a deeply disturbed human being but it keeps me motivated. 🤷‍♂️ BTW, were is the front license plate on your STO?
you can get and EezePate mount for your license plate for easy removal and no drilling, bolts only to the oem holes in the chassis!

·
Registered
69 Posts
You bring up another great question that really got me to think and appreciate all of the moments that came before.

At least for me, the little milestones were some of the most memorable. Jetstream's comment about buying the bigger, better or more expensive things did not proportionally make him that much happier hits close to home. I find that very true myself. I could give thousands of examples from my own life and little goals that I set, but a great example for your own life would be that first dollar you made after starting your own business, being able to buy that beautiful C7 and I'm sure the list could go on. Those are no small feats as Jetstream mentioned. Those are moments to be proud of yourself and your accomplishments. Those are similar milestones to what I chose, but I'm sure you have tons of others.

For example in my life, I remember saving every penny I had to buy my first house out of college. I was strapped, but I didn't want to pay rent. I wanted to build my own equity and pay myself. I'm not going to lie it was a tough couple years and I didn't make much right out of college. I used to eat steamed rice with siracha on top to give it flavor so I could afford my property taxes, mortgage and groceries. Even something as small as ordering a large pizza was a small milestone/reward for me not even 10 years ago. Sometimes I still make that meal to remind myself how fortunate I have been. As time went on, I still lived like that but made a little more and was able to save more and more. One motivator that I still use to this day is set a total savings goal. I would want to hit $x.xx. Once I hit $x.xx, I would treat myself with something small and then I would shoot for $y.yy, then for $z.zz, etc. The dopamine and satisfaction for setting a large savings goal was very real for me. Especially when you're sacrificing things. Eventually, I bought my first "extra" car that I lusted over and only drove on weekends, which was a 2012 Mercedes C63 coupe in 2017 which didn't cost much at all at the time. When I bought that car I felt like a billion dollars though, because I bought it myself comfortably and it was a special occasion to drive it. That was a small motivator, but a big one at the time. Seems very similar to your situation with the C7. Honestly, I can't find it in my to sell that car either. Too many memories and too much sacrifice.

You sound like you're already way ahead of the pack if you have enough for a Gallardo. Let me tell you... That is no small feat. That is an incredible accomplishment. You've reached $g.gg. Now shoot for $h.hh if that's your goal.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
@6Speed thanks for sharing your story. You also are on the top tier with the Gallardo and Murcie! Ain't it a wonderful feeling buying your first big hurdle car! I have the same feeling towards mine it would be very tough to sell. Sometime at last light before storing the car I step back a few paces and stare at it, circle it and stare at it some more, I must look a little crazy to the neighbors!

I use it as my daily driver, do groceries and hunt for hot wheels all over town. Even when I get to buy an H I'll keep it for my daily. The trunk is incredibly big for groceries or a cooler to do some day trips. Some of the best days to go for a ride is sunday evening, everyone is indoors and I have practically the road all to myself.

I still eat chef dee because I don't want to waste time between jobs or don't want to cook after work.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My daily motivation is the new Arbys menu item… boneless chicken wings with hot honey sauce, ranch dipping sauce and crinkle fries! Damn! Just can’t get enough of them!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD
10,833 Posts
My daily motivation is the new Arbys menu item… boneless chicken wings with hot honey sauce, ranch dipping sauce and crinkle fries! Damn! Just can’t get enough of them!!!!!
Of course, that is after you put at least 3 hours in the gym................or is it 4 hours?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My weekly motivation is a weekly Mexican restaurant. Sadly the car is triple wrapped in the garage for the next 3 months so it's not as fun in the snow with the truck so it'll be far in between. Good news is I didn't store the car in a heated place this year so I gain 4-6 weeks for it to be at home and able to drive depending on the snow season.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
My weekly motivation is a weekly Mexican restaurant. Sadly the car is triple wrapped in the garage for the next 3 months so it's not as fun in the snow with the truck so it'll be far in between. Good news is I didn't store the car in a heated place this year so I gain 4-6 weeks for it to be at home and able to drive depending on the snow season.
Why don’t you keep it at home all year if you do not require a heated garage? Did I miss something?
My cars are stored at home in a heated garage. Looks like when in go up for Christmas I will have some above freezing weather in the 40s. If the roads are dry I will take them for a drive.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why don’t you keep it at home all year if you do not require a heated garage? Did I miss something?
My cars are stored at home in a heated garage. Looks like when in go up for Christmas I will have some above freezing weather in the 40s. If the roads are dry I will take them for a drive.
Last year my garage was full and I took the winter to clean it out while I stored the vette at a heated storage place. Snow fall begins in November/December and melts in March. This year I parked the car in the garage and temperatures go below -30C on occasion(I won't heat it as its more expensive than storage and I lose 4-6 weeks of driving). Winter tires are mandatory from December to March.

When I went to the storage place there were so many exotics it was astounding, it's super dusty, some cars had covers and some not but all of them had a thick brown layer of dust. They told me to leave the window open under the car cover to keep from molding but unfortunately a lot of dust went in. They don't trickle charge the batteries either.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts