Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to get some new wheels made and I’m a little nervous about ordering. I’m looking to try to fit and 12x20 rear wheel with a +57 offset running a 325 30. Anyone on here with any experience with a similar wheel and offset combo?

My car is an 06 and is lowered on the stock coil overs. I’m also converted to rear wheel drive, so no concerns on that front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Offset and its effects on components.
"Production cars are built with wheel offsets that minimize wheel-bearing load. In corners, excessive lateral tire loads add stress to wheel bearings. Altering offsets affect how much load each of the two wheel bearings see both in straight-line driving and during cornering.
Improper wheel offsets can lead to a variety of problems ranging from poor handling characteristics to broken suspension components
Even suspension knuckles aren't immune from offset changes. Longtime Honda racer Sam Rothschild has suffered two complete knuckle failures on his CRX. Of course, he runs +35 offset wheels with sticky Toyo 225/50-15 RA-1 tires and a stiff suspension. The added leverage created by this offset causes a much larger bending moment in the knuckle, which over time led to a fatigue fracture on two different knuckles, but this is for a highly stressed race car and is a rather unlikely scenario when concerning the typical Honda street car. Regardless though, offset does do more than just fill or not fill the fenders-it affects handling, steering, traction, even the service life of otherwise unbreakable suspension components like knuckle assemblies. That should be more than enough reason for you to rethink that sick, fat lip, rear-wheel-drive-looking offset next time you go shopping for new shoes."

·
Registered
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo project
43 Posts
So the stock offset for a 06 G is 55-57mm iirc… going with something the same or very close to stock isn’t going to put undue stress on wheel bearings.

I have no experience with the stock coilover setup but based on my 04 project I’d think that 57mm offset would fit. When I do wheel fitment measurements I use a carpenter’s square on the hub, cycle the suspension, and measure inboard and outboard clearances relative to rim and tire diameters.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
So the stock offset for a 06 G is 55-57mm iirc… going with something the same or very close to stock isn’t going to put undue stress on wheel bearings.

I have no experience with the stock coilover setup but based on my 04 project I’d think that 57mm offset would fit. When I do wheel fitment measurements I use a carpenter’s square on the hub, cycle the suspension, and measure inboard and outboard clearances relative to rim and tire diameters.
Good you are staying close to the factory offset.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I’m looking to get some new wheels made and I’m a little nervous about ordering. I’m looking to try to fit and 12x20 rear wheel with a +57 offset running a 325 30. Anyone on here with any experience with a similar wheel and offset combo?

My car is an 06 and is lowered on the stock coil overs. I’m also converted to rear wheel drive, so no concerns on that front.

I am running a 12" rear with a +50 offset but had to install a 5mm spacer (resulting in a +45 offset) to clear the caliper. I would be concerned about caliper clearance with the +57 unless the design has a very sharp concave shape or a flat faced wheel with a very deep hub. Also, offset is just part of the equation, decreasing the offset on a wider wheel is less of an issue since its balanced out with the additional wheel width extending to the inside.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am running a 12" rear with a +50 offset but had to install a 5mm spacer (resulting in a +45 offset) to clear the caliper. I would be concerned about caliper clearance with the +57 unless the design has a very sharp concave shape or a flat faced wheel with a very deep hub. Also, offset is just part of the equation, decreasing the offset on a wider wheel is less of an issue since its balanced out with the additional wheel width extending to the inside.

View attachment 315282
What size wheel and tire are you running, 305/30/19? Or are you on a 20”?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

View attachment 315282
I just noticed your side scoop extension. That looks really nice, who makes it?

·
Registered
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo project
43 Posts
Probably should talk to Vossen about caliper clearance with the offset you’re looking at. I’m running 18x12 Litespeed wheels with 60mm offset in the rear of my 04 car with Hoosier tires so there would be options to fit in the offset range you’re looking at if the Vossens wouldn’t fit. The rear caliper is the size of a front caliper with not much disc offset so it hangs out pretty far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts