Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We know Lamborghinis are exotics, but what makes a car exotic? Would you consider NSX, Viper and 996 GT2 exotics? How about Lotus Esprit, BMW Z8? Any more borderline sportscar/exotic cars you can think off?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Interesting question.

At my warranty business, any car over $150,000 *new* is considered an exotic for warranty pricing.

In real life, I dont consider the NSX, Viper, or even some models of Aston Martins to be exotics.

Exotics have to have that balance of rare, beauty, price, and power to all be on the high scales. Question would be is where does a luxury car end and an exotic begin? Fun debate. :)

-Ben

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Good Question!!

Truly Wild Good Looks, Superb Performance, Limited Production (exclusivity).

In the Truly Wild Good Looks Dept. I would say it has to be radical, with a very good execution of looks, enhancing top of the hill performance.

Funny, never really thought about it till now, guess ya just know one when you see one...:)

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very true Ben. I just thought of the SLR and the SL65. Although, the SL65 is just as fast as the SLR, I'm sure a lot of people would consider the SLR exotic but not the SL65.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just a few short years ago, I co-hosted exotic car events.

This is the qualifying list we used.

http://www.autozotica.com/az_main/az_qualifies.htm

The webpage and the site is in need of repair but the qualyifing list was well received at the time. I've seen this quoted on various boards for defining just what is an exotic car. Of course it's not current and inclusive but served at the time.

~Larry

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I don´t think exotic applies to many new cars at all. Virtually all are machine made and some just expensive. I suppose the Zonda might be one.
You have to go back to hand built cars like the Countach which was so exotic and so far ahead of design at the time to really get to the meaning of exotic. IMO only

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
The first rule...and I wrote it, is NO Asian or American car can be labeled Exotic. It has to be European, and is almost exclusivly Italian. PERIOD!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hey Raymond,

Do these look exotic? I kinda like them. :rolleyes:

I suppose for the most part there are Exotics then there at very/super Exotics. Is it from styling, speed, production #'s, hand-built?

I tend to just think it's a car that is practically unseen in the public, may have a sport racing heritage, have a celebrity associated to the model, probably is/was expensive and you can't take to the average Pontiac dealer for servicing or get a tune-up at the local gas station. But when you arrive somewhere or when just motoring along there are specatators and admirers. That's knowing what an exotic is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The rarity/exclusivity factor depends on geography aswell.

In some places a 911 C2 would be considered rare/exclusive and possibly exotic. While in others all bar enzo's/cgt's/F1's/classics would be considered rare/exclusive/exotic (i.e. Monaco).

·
Registered
72 Posts
The fact that its a Lamborghini!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts