Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2004 gallardo w/manual trans.

My battery voltage when starting the car is ~13.9. This is already too low. If i turn the headlights/radio/AC on it drops to 13.5. If I drive the car it will drop to 13v. I am measuring with a meter, not the gauge. (The gauge is accurate so it doesnt make a difference)

I have replaced the battery, the alternator, and I have checked the cables. Is this normal? On almost every other car you'd expect it to be above 14, but with this thing who knows.

·
Registered
2008 Superleggera 2013 LP570-4
164 Posts
It's a 12v system, if the battery voltage is above 12.6v (The fully charged voltage of an 12v automotive battery) the battery is being charged and not discharged and yes the load varies that's why the alternator has a regulator on it. 12.4v resting is considered a pass and 13.74 volts under load on the charging system is a pass as well. I'd be more concerned if the voltage was above 14 than if it's in the mid 13's but hey you could always get two batteries and hook them in series, then you'd have 24v...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 12v system, if the battery voltage is above 12.6v (The fully charged voltage of an 12v automotive battery) the battery is being charged and not discharged and yes the load varies that's why the alternator has a regulator on it. 12.4v resting is considered a pass and 13.74 volts under load on the charging system is a pass as well. I'd be more concerned if the voltage was above 14 than if it's in the mid 13's but hey you could always get two batteries and hook them in series, then you'd have 24v...
Almost every single passenger car operates at greater than 14v.

Yes, it is a 12v system, but generally in 99% of cars, you SHOULD be seeing greater than 14v when the car is being driven. That is just a baseline of what is normal, and that is something I'm not seeing. So I'm just trying to determine if that is normal for this particular car, or if I have more digging to do. Watching my battery voltage go from 13.9 -> 13.2 is a cause for concern. If its normal, great, but I'm specifically asking about this car and what people see their gauge display.

·
Registered
2008 Superleggera 2013 LP570-4
164 Posts
Almost every single passenger car operates at greater than 14v.

Yes, it is a 12v system, but generally in 99% of cars, you SHOULD be seeing greater than 14v when the car is being driven. That is just a baseline of what is normal, and that is something I'm not seeing. So I'm just trying to determine if that is normal for this particular car, or if I have more digging to do. Watching my battery voltage go from 13.9 -> 13.2 is a cause for concern. If its normal, great, but I'm specifically asking about this car and what people see their gauge display.
It's fine, go driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.