Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I exhausted all sites and just cannot figure out if this thing is anodized or painted in flat black from factory.

The fading I'm getting seems to point to anodizing but just want to make sure before I restore it.

Thanks for your help,

Carlo

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hey guys I exhausted all sites and just cannot figure out if this thing is anodized or painted in flat black from factory.

The fading I'm getting seems to point to anodizing but just want to make sure before I restore it.

Thanks for your help,

Carlo
Paint it piano black like every other honeycomb grille on the LP. Have no idea why Lamborghini didn't do this in the first place.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume the front grills are plastic and not aluminum like the rear, I haven't checked them yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Lp, I took it off and it's metallic in nature, not steel so I assume aluminum. This where the finish comes into question. Im pretty sure it was anodized from what I know of the process but like what old-school said, keep it consistent

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Yes Lp, I took it off and it's metallic in nature, not steel so I assume aluminum. This where the finish comes into question. Im pretty sure it was anodized from what I know of the process but like what old-school said, keep it consistent
Good to know. Pre LP plastic?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya I was just on the phone with a local dealer ordering bolts I asked him and he said plastic but then corrected himself and said maybe older ones are plastic and some new ones are aluminum. Lol.. 🤪

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
The rear grills are plastic on 2004 to 2008. Thats where the confusion comes from. After that all aluminum. Asked my factory tech friend for the answer.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,208 Posts
Count,
You could try on a very small inconspicuous spot underneath the grill to use paint remover and see if any paint comes off. I’m suspecting it is anodized aluminum. My Gallardo is an 08 and it is a plastic grill back there.

that said, I took the anodized aluminum rear grills off my Diablo and took them to a guy to have them re-anodized. He said ‘no way’ because when you remove the anodized finish the grill pieces may no longer have good enough electrical conductivity to re-anodize properly. (the crossmembers were stamped together using a factory machine press.). So, original mine remain!

my point is, if you try to re-anodized them make absolutely certain every component piece can be removed and re-anodized separately otherwise you’ll get bad finish if any attached piece is slightly loose. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Diabloclyde yes you are absolutely correct, I think the issue with the gallardo grill is it was manufactured as a casting as boatpi mentioned. Castings have a ton of impurities, so a mixed pot of many metalics and not pure aluminum. I will try striping with paint stripper or thinner (reducer) to see if that works. There is a two step anodizing process that could be used on cast aluminum, however tough to find a company and if I do the cost will be very high. I will attempt a spray, however when researching "piano black", all I see is high gloss finishes. I'm pretty sure off the production floor these grills were flat black no?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had no idea the rear grille on the LP560 was aluminum instead of plastic like the pre-LPs, interesting. I wouldn't hesitate to clean and repaint the grille with a satin or matte black, but wouldn't want gloss black or "piano black". If it's cleaned properly you shouldn't have any issues with the paint sticking, but you could always apply a coat of adhesion promoter first too. Should be an easy job for any half decent paint shop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Evank, I was going to strip the old color off but will clean as you said and sand it for adhesion. Then blow in the exposed metal with some prime etcher product.

·
Registered
724 Posts
when researching "piano black", all I see is high gloss finishes. I'm pretty sure off the production floor these grills were flat black no?
but wouldn't want gloss black or "piano black".
Thanks for the info that the rear grille is aluminum. Piano black is a very high gloss black. It's just a matter of preference but with all the front, side and top fender grilles on the LP being painted in piano black, the flat black rear grille seems inconsistent with the overall finish scheme on the car. My original plan was to buy another rear grille and paint it piano black. Then, I could keep the OEM grille to maintain originality for the car's future. However, the cost of another rear grille, even a used one, is rather prohibitive just to change a minor personal preference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the plot thickens lol... Because when looking at my side vents and front honeycomb grills, I assumed these were not painted and coloured by the natural pigment of the plastic they used. I need to go take a closer look to make sure now lol

·
Registered
757 Posts
Oh this is weird. I just pulled my rear side grills on my preLP to replace my bulbs (not center one) and they sure felt like aluminum. Heavier than I expected it to be if they were plastic and had a "clinking" sound when laying it on the concrete floor (vs. a dull thud you'd expect if it were plastic), also no flex at all, it felt solid, like machined solid billet aluminum would. So much so that I thought to myself, ah, must be a metal of some sort?

But if everyone says it's plastic, that's interesting to know, I wonder what kind of plastic they're using.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts