Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I asked this question in another forum and am hoping to get some more info here.

As far as I can remember I have been captivated by the LP400 Countach. Yes I am aware of all the hardships and shortcomings of ownership yet I want to own one anyways. At the moment I'm still window shopping but I would like to get a good feel for what an LP400 sells for nowadays. I've been all over the net and seen all the 'price guidelines' but I am interested to know a little more first hand knowledge of prices. I look forward to all the responses.

Please ONLY LP400 prices and stories. We're talking only 157 cars that were made here.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
euro prices are already over 10000 euro and growing...
give a look to affolter garage site, they have one or two for sale
i also thought about Lp400 before buying mine, but they were too expensive for me :(
from what i heard by owners and people who worked on them, these cars can be very different one from the other, early LP400(20 cars more or less) have lighter chassis and some magnesium parts you won't find in later cars :rolleyes:
good luck finding your car :wave:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was looking for an LP400 for a few months before acquiring mine. The bottom end of the market is GBP 70,000 for a good car. However, as has been said these cars vary a lot and I have seen some poor examples - including the brown car at Affolter that sold recently. They are now 30 years old so a number have deteriorated even though dealers think they can charge the earth for them - see Autodrome Cannes and GTC for examples.

The first 5 or 10 cars only differed in the fact that used some lighter parts made of 'elektron'. The chassis was no different. These will not command a significant premium.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
craig said:
The first 5 or 10 cars only differed in the fact that used some lighter parts made of 'elektron'. The chassis was no different. These will not command a significant premium.
hi craig,
you are probably right on numbers of "elektron" car
a man who owns a LP and has worked on some others told me early 19 chassis have tinnier bodies, adjustable Koni racing shocks and numerous magnesium components including the trans and steering rack.
but i can't confirm this first hand :confused:
aniway early countach were made almost on request and can be different one from other, remember that factory prices could be very different, over 20% according to request of the buyer and lamborghini was happy to make some special cars for men who could afford to pay more ;) , wolf is only one of them
tipical countach buyer was often tempted by a "personal feature" car and more powerfull engine or interior upgrade are quite common in these cars
i remember an old test of a countach claimed to have a + 400 hp factory
tuned engine

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the responses thus far. I did some digging and found the brown car spoken of in Switzerland as well as the one on mobil.de . Can anyone pitch in with their searching and or buying experiences with the LP400? For instance the Swiss brown car looks excellent in the pictures but was described as less than great in this thread. Please share your LP400 stories.

In asking for information, I should at least introduce myself a little more. My name is Rob and I am from Toronto Canada. I currently have a 1977 Ferrari 308 GTB and hope to add the LP400 as the next in my dream car collection. While it may take me a while, it is much easier to achieve a goal by thinking about it regularily and this forum is a great place to keep me in the Lambo loop. Attached is a picture of me at the Lambo factory earlier this year standing next to the prototype Countach. Seeing that car and touring the factory sealed my fate as an eventual LP400 owner.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nuvolari said:
Thank you all for the responses thus far. I did some digging and found the brown car spoken of in Switzerland as well as the one on mobil.de . Can anyone pitch in with their searching and or buying experiences with the LP400? For instance the Swiss brown car looks excellent in the pictures but was described as less than great in this thread. Please share your LP400 stories.

In asking for information, I should at least introduce myself a little more. My name is Rob and I am from Toronto Canada. I currently have a 1977 Ferrari 308 GTB and hope to add the LP400 as the next in my dream car collection. While it may take me a while, it is much easier to achieve a goal by thinking about it regularily and this forum is a great place to keep me in the Lambo loop. Attached is a picture of me at the Lambo factory earlier this year standing next to the prototype Countach. Seeing that car and touring the factory sealed my fate as an eventual LP400 owner.
Rob

Good luck in your search for an LP400. From my perspective I would just say be patient and wait for the right car. This is easier said than done but from the research I have done it appears that most cars on the open market are not worth looking at as they are either over-priced or in poor condition. I have looked at a number of cars over the last few months and can comment on these as follows:

Chassis 1120008 was/ is for sale in the US at $260k - way over-priced. Chassis 1120010 the turbo conversion was in poor condition as Emilio said and wouldn't be worth buying as not an 'original'. Chassis 1120012 is for sale in France for about $180k but has poor bodywork - in fact it looks like a deposit has now been put on it. Chassis 1120030 is for sale via Bonhams at about $140k but I understand from other owners it is not a great car overall (engine/ bodywork needed). Chassis 1120096 (brown car) was not in that great condition when I saw it. They wanted about $140k for it and it would need a full respray (unless you like brown!). It had no history at all and the mirrors and tyres are non original The car used to be yellow too. Chassis 1120138, the car on mobile.de, is in nice condition. It is at the Swiss dealer Affolter in a private collection. It was formerly in Japan when it was white and had an awful bodykit which would put me off though. Chassis 1120198 is for sale in France again at about $140k. It looks to me like it needs some work and the history is not great - it spent some years in Lebanon.

As you see it is a bit of a minefield out there. I would get in touch with as many owners as you can as its best to source a car privately like I did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts