Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a post earlier that someone said "discontinued front lower control arms " on a Gallardo and I also saw on the youtube channel, Curated, they had obtained so and so part and it was the last one in the entire world. My question is what happens to the cars that can't be fixed because parts are no longer available, does it become a useless paperweight? If you can't drive your car what's the point, do you need to sell it cheap as a parts car and someone else will scavenge it?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I doubt this is the case for Gallardos as Audi has a strong parts bin and though it
May not have a Lamborghini stamp, it may have a generic or other marque compatible part available
I can still find Countach parts, there are still Diablo parts too.
20 years from now who know, but for now I think you would be ok

·
Registered
442 Posts
In this circumstance, for common wear/tear items, high quality aftermarket will fill the void.
For unusual failure items where there is no aftermarket option, you'll be looking to acquire the component from a crashed/part out vehicle. There are too many of even the most rare production lambos out there for them to completely fall victim to zero parts supply of any kind.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have a 1986 Jalpa. This is a frequent issue that comes up for me. There are a lot of work arounds. Some owners find similar parts and modify them to work (For example: window motors, Brake booster, weather stripping, and such) I have had my car 15 years and have been able to keep it on the road almost continuously. There is a pretty long list of parts that I would like to have, but just are not available. (For example: some of the switches, foam blocks for window seal, shifter knob, tool kit) I have found a lot of stuff used and a Jalpa is much older, and more rare, than a Gallardo.

You can have pretty much anything made. It may cost a fortune, but if it was made once, it can be most likely be made again.

With that philosophy in mind, Lamborghini has a department that makes parts for all cars. They guarantee that they can supply any part for any Lamborghini. Ricambi Originali Lamborghini
In practice, I have found this to be pretty lame and not necessarily true. However, I think if I gave my local dealer a blank check and asked for a part, they would get it to me.... at some point..... for a small fortune..... maybe.....

Since the Gallardo is an Audi era car, I would think that any needed part would be attainable. It is more a question of cost and wait time.

In short, I would be less concerned with "If?"something is available, and more with "How much?" and "How long will it take?".

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Another thing I would like to add to this thread.... Parts that were once unavailable have been coming up as available again. I noticed this the last few times I was browsing supplier lists. It isn't like once it is gone, it is gone forever.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If there is a market, there will be a supplier.
Not sure about that, take example my Toyota 4runner, my previous one some parts weren't available anywhere and the only way to get one was to buy an entire truck and dismantle it to get a single part you need. These trucks never end up at a scrap yard either, people hoard them.

·
Registered
2008 Maserati GT 4.2
27 Posts
The first gen R8 and the Gallardo shared the same control arms. Audi upgraded this control arm later on and no longer produced the old one. If you look on the R8 forums this particular part is discussed, I just can’t recall the year the change happened atm.

Short story is you have to replace the whole assembly if your upper control arm fails to the new assembly; I’m unaware if the LP 560-4 has the upgraded versions.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
There is a member here that has upgraded the control arms. One must search if that is a question.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The first gen R8 and the Gallardo shared the same control arms. Audi upgraded this control arm later on and no longer produced the old one. If you look on the R8 forums this particular part is discussed, I just can’t recall the year the change happened atm.

Short story is you have to replace the whole assembly if your upper control arm fails to the new assembly; I’m unaware if the LP 560-4 has the upgraded versions.
PreLP Gallardos do not share control arms with the R8, but the LP cars do.

Regarding part availability long term, for many rare cars the second hand market is still an option. But if all else fails some ingenuity and a good machine shop can go a long way. Electronics obsolescence is a whole different ball game though, but in general more likely to outlast the rest of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Anything can be fabricated. The easiest way is to buy salvage parts and rehab them. Bushings can be made pretty easily. It is all a question of $ and time. That is why I love the older ones. I love the challenge of solving unobtanium. Lee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts