Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember first seeing the '78 911 Turbo with the outlandish "whaletail" fixed spoiler.
The spoiler really made the car. Later Porsches had retractable spoilers which I don't understand. Why add sensors, motors and complexity just to lower the spoiler?
Lamborghini does this now with the Gallardo. I suppose in this car there is some slight rear visibility benefit to lowering the spoiler but I still can't see why it is necessary to have a movable spoiler. Do most people really think the car looks bad with the spoiler up? If a fixed spoiler saved 20lbs and $500 in price would anyone order their car that way?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven't had a good look at the spoiler when it's deployed, mainly because I can't see that part of the car when I'm driving and I never see other Gallardos on the highway. I was a passenger in my car last week and was able to look back and see the spoiler, which didn't seem to extend very high.

I don't mind the fact it deploys autmatically. The lines on the Gallardo are stunning and the spoiler doesn't seem to add to that (IMHO). In fact, I think people have all they can do to take in the car when it drives past them; the spoiler would be TMI. Besides, I wouldn't want to give a passing police car any reason to think I'm exceeding 70 mph (which I believe is the speed that triggers the spoiler).

You are right about the 1978 Porsches...they were awesome!

BTW BLUE, you color selection is great; I haven't seen one similiar here in L.A.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Deployable spoilers

Most of the Europeans went to deployable spoilers as a result of pedestrian impact legislation. Germany has been a leader in this for years... this is why the '73-'74 911 fiberglass "ducktail" became a rubber/foam appendage when spoiler inclusion moved from low volume to mainstream.

Today, I think it's also being driven by the desires of the design teams looking for more elegant "everyday" appearance. Typically, when Porsche produce a "sporting version" (RS America, ClubSport or GT3) the car gets a fixed spoiler for weight & complexity reasons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts