Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that a lot of people out there have been extremely dissatisfied with the way Audi has brought Lamborghini to what it is today. Others (including myself) believe that Audi is the best thing to ever happen to Lamborghini. I want to hear what you guys think of the relationship and why you feel that way. Thanks

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
oooohhh, this is a loaded question...! Well, in a nutshell, I like their engineering oversight, am appalled at their dealer oversight. No good building great cars if your dealers end up alienating the customers... :confused: I think they should slow down Gallardo production, and concentrate on kicking the as*es of a few of their dealers. Stripping the franchises away from one or two of them wouldn't go amiss either (perhaps they could start by focusing their gaze on a certain dealer in Arizona....??? :evil: ).

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Boy I wish you wouldn't have asked that question. :whip:

I hate Audis ownership which everybody knows by now and are problably sick of my tyrants. I'm not grateful for Audi rescuing Lamborghini. Mixing German heritage and Italian heritage is just wrong! I like the Gallardo, and Murcielago, but they lack the WOW factor of Diablo, Countach, and Miura. Audi has taken the edge off Lamborghini, and will continue to shape it into "another car" in my opinion. The badge means nothing if they carry a German engine and other non-Italian stray VW/German parts. That's not exotic. Unfortunatly, the car business today dictates that brands loose their identity through mergers, crossplatforming, and the desperation to stay profitable, but what a cost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with you. I had seen Lambo under private ownersihp and later under Chrysler not worth a penny of my money. A friend was chief chassis engineer at Lambo in the 80's and 90's and kept pressing me to consider bying a Lambo. Two visits to the factory and tales of unreliability kept me away. Then I gave in and in 1988 bought a new Countach. Kept it two years and cursed every moment of it; the worst exotic car ownership experience I'd ever had. Two monts ago, out of curiosity took a 6sp and an Egear Gallardo for a test drive. A couple of weeks later, I bought one and am really enjoying the exotic nature of the car because of its quality and reliability, both I am sure brought about by Audi. I have never owned an Audi product but they are the reason I am a renewed Lambo owner.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well I have a thing about round or oval taillights on Italian cars. Audi took that away. Too much red plastic on the back end now. BBoxer, which did you choose 6 sp or egear and your reasons?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like you, have bought mainly because of the Audi influence and their claims of improved service and reliability.

Its not all about cost reductions and maximising returns on parts. Lamborghini like most of these manufacturers have had to change to meet the changing customer.

A large part of the customer base are no longer weekend drivers. I am one of the new breed of customers.

My private time comes haphazerdly, sporadically and at short notice. I don't always have the luxury of planning ahead time to enjoy my car.

So I use my car as a daily driver. That way its there should I chose to knock of early. Or a meeting gets cancelled. Its there in my drive should I have a day or weekend off, or decide I want to take the morning off for a spirited drive.

IMO what they've gained compensates for what they've lost since Audi took over. I don't feel the cars have been dilluted drastically. But the reliability has improved to the level the car can be relied upon in day to day use.

Without Audi's influence I wouldn't have bought a Lambo. And without people like me buying Lambo's, I dont believe they would have survived. Because IMO their old customer base isn't large enough to keep them afloat anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
craftsman said:
Well I have a thing about round or oval taillights on Italian cars. Audi took that away. Too much red plastic on the back end now. BBoxer, which did you choose 6 sp or egear and your reasons?
Chose 6sp after 5 years of 360F1 ownership. Wanted a change before a 430F1 due next spring.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to complain about Audi, before it was much worse, I don't mind having VW/Audi-Parts in the new Lambos, it's 1000 times better than the Fiat/Alfa crap they used before!!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Mixing German heritage and Italian heritage is just wrong! I

Let's see, after only 8 years, the Swiss had the shareholder majority, then the French, then the Americans, then the Indonesians - this was OK?

Finally some true R & D, new models, better brand recognition - IMO Audi is doing a good job - it is not easy to turn a company around - and never painless.

Alex

·
Registered
283 Posts
are italian cars the only cars considered exotic?
if so then oh well. as long as lamborghini is still around and its not ford that owns them then thats good enough for me : )

·
Registered
16 Posts
So just what does 'exotic' mean? Lousy reliability and outrageous sevice bills? The Gallardo with 500 hp, AWD, F1 trans and a VERY pleasing shape strikes me as exotic in those aspects. It is the first Lambo I've owned and so far, so good. I hadn't even been thinking about Lambo until I saw a Gallardo in the flesh and was so taken by its looks that I then test drove one...now I own one.
We live in a competitive world and companies need to make money to survive and prosper. without the buyout I suspect Lambo would have perished. Is that what everyone wants? :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Put down the crack pipe..

Hard to believe that people are cracking down on Audi.... I received my very, slightly used Gallardo about a month and a half ago (Pearl Orange, E-Gear, clear bonnet). No one who sees it thinks it anything but an exotic. Have had women who have legs up to the roof throw their number into the car on a piece of paper. Have taken them out in air-conditioned comfort right to the best valet spot in the restaurant (sorry sir, could you please move your Viper?) We don't end the night taking the car on a flatbed. All is well.

I remember a time (I am 41) when having an exotic car was perilous at best....Lotus Europas, old Jags, old Countaches (sp?). Jensen-Healeys ...et al all seemed to define that period when having an exotic meaned it was more in the shop than out. Lamborghini deserves better and finally has it...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ive lived through the transition and as someone who deals with the factory on a constant basis in the past, I have no complaints. I agree that the monetary influence will greatly help the company, but when you call the factory guys....its still an Italian on the phone, not a german. There is a little influence but VW AG is mainly supplying money and helping to cut some costs....hence the vw/audi switches and such, V10 engine, etc....but the engineering is still there from Italy with a little help from Germany. Over all, not a bad move to save such a great Marque.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm still on the fence on this one.

I can definitely sympathize with those who are disappointed in seeing Audi parts in Lamborghinis and Lamborghini parts soon to be in Audis. On the flip side I love the Murcielago and the Gallardo. Absolutely great cars. And they don't quite feel 100% "German" if you will.

I think Audi is not quite done laying out the groundwork for Lamborghini. Planningwise I'm sure they've beat it to death, but as far as what has hit the market, there are many exciting things to come. Audi takes risks and could be the best thing to happen to Lamborghini since the company was initially sold.

No other company has done what Audi has in endurance racing. Their roots are intertwined with Porsche via family. Porsche being the winningest automotive racing marque. There is great technology, great drive for innovation, and a great sense of history in the parent company.

Vorsprung durch technik!

I'm sure there have been sacrifices to be made to make the marque viable. Lets give them the benefit of the doubt and give them more time. We may just see the best to come.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Let's give Audi a shot. Like Ferrari (sorry to use the f-word) Lamborghini now finally produces cars that can be used on a daily basis.
Besides, as long as they sound like Lamborghini's, they're the real thing to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts