Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I am new to this forum. It caught my eyes while surfing the internet. I have been a lamborghini lover from the first time it caught my eyes on television. Ever since then my academic grades shot high as I really wanted to get that car in the future. At the moment, that car I am talking is a lamborghini spyder.

i am 17 years of age and next year will be my last year of high school.
Last year my grades were so good that I decided to go straight to university and undergo a career in computer engineer. The lecturers saw my grade and said I should do something better with life. So i chose my second career option. This was a neurosurgeon. So i had to go back to high school and finish these two last years. Couple months later i felt idle and look up their salary,and it was a huge sum.

It was then I thought it was destiny for me to reach those goals.

My problem now though is that by the time I should leave med school I will be about the age of 35 or so. Then next I will have to be paying off med school fee.

What i had in mind was to start a little business and have people work for me during med school. Actually as soon as possible. But what kind of business could I start? It is so hard to decide upon. But then again I am wondering if it might get too stressing to have to think about school and at the same time manage a job?

You see i just like to plan out my future from now any ideas? Or should i just wait after graduating med school in the next 16 years or so before I ever think or take actions of owning a lamborghini- my dream car

Sorry for this long message i guess I just get carried away when talking about lamborghinis:)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Disclosure: 19 yr old here. Some of these things I don't have experience on and won't address.

Couple things I'd like to add here:

Computer engineer to neurosurgeon, quite a hefty change there. Why did you decide to switch to neurosurgeon, just because you felt that was a logical with a high salary? It is a lot of work (as you realize) to get to that point, and if you don't love it, you probably aren't going to make it.

I am currently a full time student (in an honors program) and still manage to work 25-30 hours a week. Since you seem to apply yourself well, I would think you could handle working at the same time. Granted, running a business would probably be much more time consuming than a "normal" job.

Does it really take 16 years of schooling? :confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I will chime in for the second job part. I'm in banking and work 45-50 hrs a week (joy of salary is no overtime). Any way I own a small business and by that I mean I employ just me. I sell guns, ammo, and various hunting supplies on a smaller scale. Let me tell you it takes up a ton of time and energy. Personally I don't think it would be wise to attempt med school and run a business. I know one doctor and during med school and his residency he averaged like 4hrs of sleep a night with no extra time for anything else. He hardly had a life outside the hospital at all. I dont know the full stint of student loans bit I remember him saying it was 200k+ if that smart and want paid with out 12-15 years of school, look at law school. Your looking at school,med school, residency, then surgeon school

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Disclosure: 19 yr old here. Some of these things I don't have experience on and won't address.

Couple things I'd like to add here:

Computer engineer to neurosurgeon, quite a hefty change there. Why did you decide to switch to neurosurgeon, just because you felt that was a logical with a high salary? It is a lot of work (as you realize) to get to that point, and if you don't love it, you probably aren't going to make it.

I am currently a full time student (in an honors program) and still manage to work 25-30 hours a week. Since you seem to apply yourself well, I would think you could handle working at the same time. Granted, running a business would probably be much more time consuming than a "normal" job.

Does it really take 16 years of schooling? :confused:
Actually I wanted to go into the field of medicine from I was young. The only reason I chose to go into computer engineering was because I was good at computer and because I would take about only 6 or 7 years studying for it. But my eyes were actually set for something in medicine. Like I said before though I never knew the salary of neurosurgeon before I change my mind to be one. It was only a couple months later after i felt to check the salary. And it amazed me. I am happy for the salary yes but that wasnt the reason why I chose the career though.

Actually no, it take about 15 years to become a neurosurgeon. I put on that extra year for my last year in high school which will be next year. So if I dont change my mind and go after being a neurosurgeon without stopping to take a break or anything of the sort. I would totally finish studying in the next 16 years.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will chime in for the second job part. I'm in banking and work 45-50 hrs a week (joy of salary is no overtime). Any way I own a small business and by that I mean I employ just me. I sell guns, ammo, and various hunting supplies on a smaller scale. Let me tell you it takes up a ton of time and energy. Personally I don't think it would be wise to attempt med school and run a business. I know one doctor and during med school and his residency he averaged like 4hrs of sleep a night with no extra time for anything else. He hardly had a life outside the hospital at all. I dont know the full stint of student loans bit I remember him saying it was 200k+ if that smart and want paid with out 12-15 years of school, look at law school. Your looking at school,med school, residency, then surgeon school
Wow the you see the same thing. According to your basis though it seem as if I wont have a lambo until about the age 48 or something up those ranges. THat is what I was afraid of though, that I will not have any more time for anything else. In that case I dont think that I could own another business and do that.

But what about the idea of making somone run the business for me, so i dont have to pay any much attention to it?
Then again they could easily theif me. What do you say to that?

Lastly could you please repeat about how much that school loan would come up to? Will the school loan come up to pass the price of the lamborghini?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The doctor is strictly from what I have been told. He is mod thirties and his student loans are north of $200,000.00 I don't know if that is average or low or high. I will tell you one story though, my buddy is a mortgage lender and just did a loan for an anethesiolgist(sp) he was 54 years old and still had 250k student loan. That's not to say they were smart or unsmart with their money as I have no background information. I'm sure if you lived well below your means you could have them paid off in 5 years but who knows.

Starting a business takes a lot of leg work and you can never just sit back and let somebody run it for you. You will always have some kinda of hand in it. The closes tging i can thinks of where tou van sit back a lottle bit would be a franchise business. Again this is just my .02 and I'm sure others have theirs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The doctor is strictly from what I have been told. He is mod thirties and his student loans are north of $200,000.00 I don't know if that is average or low or high. I will tell you one story though, my buddy is a mortgage lender and just did a loan for an anethesiolgist(sp) he was 54 years old and still had 250k student loan. That's not to say they were smart or unsmart with their money as I have no background information. I'm sure if you lived well below your means you could have them paid off in 5 years but who knows.

Starting a business takes a lot of leg work and you can never just sit back and let somebody run it for you. You will always have some kinda of hand in it. The closes tging i can thinks of where tou van sit back a lottle bit would be a franchise business. Again this is just my .02 and I'm sure others have theirs.
Wow so much money for student loan. It is still unbelievable. If he is successful in his career though I just cant see how he ended up still havent to pay off the loan at that age. Maybe something major came up?

Fir the business now. What exactly do you mean by franchise business? Are you talking about selling some simply things, etc?

·
Registered
69 Posts
sorry to burst your dream....but

crew...im an anesthesiologist, and let me tell you, med school was hard!! And what is worse it how HARD it is to get into med school. you talk as if you just choose to go to med school. FACT: you need at least a 3.85 college GPA, and 30 on the MCAT before schools will look at you. Many apply...few get in. there is a lot easier ways to make money then med school. And this talk of Neurosurgery...it cracks me up. It is very difficult to get one of those residencies, and is A LOT of work...talk about 100+ hrs/week for 7 years. Then you have to deal with very difficult patients...malpractice, insurance companies...it never ends. trust me, go start a business, or something..way easier to make money and buy Lambo later on in life. BTW, it is 4 years of college (Straight As a must), 4 years of med school, and residency is 3-7 years, depends on what you do!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crew...im an anesthesiologist, and let me tell you, med school was hard!! And what is worse it how HARD it is to get into med school. you talk as if you just choose to go to med school. FACT: you need at least a 3.85 college GPA, and 30 on the MCAT before schools will look at you. Many apply...few get in. there is a lot easier ways to make money then med school. And this talk of Neurosurgery...it cracks me up. It is very difficult to get one of those residencies, and is A LOT of work...talk about 100+ hrs/week for 7 years. Then you have to deal with very difficult patients...malpractice, insurance companies...it never ends. trust me, go start a business, or something..way easier to make money and buy Lambo later on in life. BTW, it is 4 years of college (Straight As a must), 4 years of med school, and residency is 3-7 years, depends on what you do!
I am not the type to give up so early and you are talking like you know my grades lol. Let me say this my country is divided up into sections called parishes right. I was at the brightest school in that parish and i top the school dramatically. The only subject i classify myself as not being good in was english comparing to my other subject grades, and yet still i got one of the best grades. The sciences and maths was my specialiity and no one could test me in that area.

Is like you didnt hear what I say before. I practically started college and the lecturers were so stunned. Saying my grades were med school based and shouldnt be waste on computer engineering but, I chose computer engineering as a easy way out and nothing else. I learned that there is no easy way out or shortcut in this life.

I remember after they seeing my grades, they kept calling all about the college and even over the med centre where they were all talking about me. Not to boast or anything though because I really didnt want the attention. Because of all that if I can manage to keep up that same grade by next year, I wouldn't even had to take an interview again, because my spot is secure.

Dont underestimate me. Right now I got transfer from my old school to another school in a different Parish even brighter than my old school and I am still topping this new school. Sometimes I wonder how I do it and I am so interested in those things that waste time.

I like things when they are hard. When it easy I really am not so interested. Thanks for all that info though but I just wont switch my career option. I will take the chance to work in those career as a side job but otherwise from that I will not switch.

So tell me something though dont you like your job? Why are you talking so negatively on it like you regret doing it?

Lastly i think I am just full of confidence. :) lol

·
Registered
512 Posts
Friendly advice

mmm. I realize English is a second language for you, but I'd walk a little more softly than that if I were you. If you are in the presence of an expert in the field, you'd do better to approach with more humility. Your confidence might be well placed, but it is irrelevant and nobody cares (to put it bluntly). If you want answers from people more senior than you, you will go further with them based on the quality of your questions rather than your biography. Less talk about you...more talk about how you can improve. Carry on.

btw, software engineering is still a great path to funds.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
mmm. I realize English is a second language for you, but I'd walk a little more softly than that if I were you. If you are in the presence of an expert in the field, you'd do better to approach with more humility. Your confidence might be well placed, but it is irrelevant and nobody cares (to put it bluntly). If you want answers from people more senior than you, you will go further with them based on the quality of your questions rather than your biography. Less talk about you...more talk about how you can improve. Carry on.

btw, software engineering is still a great path to funds.
I agree. If you're asking for advice, then be respectful and listen to some :) Especially from a doctor :)

SingleSeat is correct about the engineering as well, I forgot to mention that earlier. Not a bad paying job either. Food for thought :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love my job...best job in the world, it is just very difficult to get into med school. I also have an MBA, I'm just saying, medicine pays well, but start your own business or invent something, and you will make way more money in the end...that is if it is your goal. I love patients, some of them are the best!! Good luck to realizing your dream.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok sorry sorry. I am sorry. But I really dont see me changing my mind about the doctor is like I said I always wanted to be a doctor growing up. It was in the end that I change my mind because I thought I would come out of school faster. That was like the major reason and nothing else.

I thought aboout the software engineering deeply ask all about the place etc, etc. And most people say after graduating from university in my country, you wont be able to find a job. The closest thing you might find is to be a phone technician. I would have a to fly out to live in the US. I already had my mind set to live in the US., I have also heard that I would have a better chance of flying out if I was in the med field rather than computers. I just want to be the first surgeon in my family, it is not even about the money. Yes I wish the money could carry me to my goals, but it is not all about the money.

So please if you are given tips, please give me tips concerned with being the surgeon. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
you want to be a surgeon and always wanted to be one you say? then go be one. What else is there to say. If you think it will take you till age 48 to get a Lamborghini then it will. Recall, whatever you think will be visited upon thee. Whatever you focus on increases.
"The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow"
William Blake.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you want to be a surgeon and always wanted to be one you say? then go be one. What else is there to say. If you think it will take you till age 48 to get a Lamborghini then it will. Recall, whatever you think will be visited upon thee. Whatever you focus on increases.
"The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow"
William Blake.
I really dont get that saying? Could you please explain it. Hey but i dont want it take me up to that age before I get one. I would be happy if i got one before I am 30. :)

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
you wont be 35 getting out of medical school if you do it in certain countries with 6 year programs out of high school...i know its possible because i'm married to a doctor who did it. M.D. by age 23. pm me for details.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you wont be 35 getting out of medical school if you do it in certain countries with 6 year programs out of high school...i know its possible because i'm married to a doctor who did it. M.D. by age 23. pm me for details.
already PM you because this really seem interesting to me.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I would reduce the importance of a Lamborghini when making life decisions like this. You are talking about making a choice of career and lifestyle that will take 15 or so years to finish schooling for and another who knows how many to accumulate wealth.

If you put a little money aside each month. In the same amount of time, you could afford a Lamborghini on a very modest income.

Sounds like your plan would take 20 years. Consider this

If you put money aside for the same amount of time, and your goal was say $350,000. to get that amount, here is what you would have to put away at some different interest rates.

$350,000 in 20 years making 5% interest takes $864 per month
$350,000 in 20 years making 10% interest takes $476 per month
$350,000 in 20 years making 15% interest takes $254 per month

Change the interest rate, time, amounts and play around a little. the basic concept is save and invest. Nothing fancy. Can be done with any investment that makes a reasonably predictable average return.

ANNUITY CALCULATOR

·
Registered
103 Posts
These threads have it ALL wrong

All these threads come in two flavors:

1. Woe is me, I really like Lambos, but I will never own one. I'm not lucky, life is too hard now, blah, blah, blah...

2. I'm so smart I am gonna be .... and I want money real bad so I can buy something spectacular and be cool.

The truth is that money will eventually come IF you are EXCELLENT at what you do. No matter if you become a doctor, ballarina, Indian chief, athlete, mechanic, or businessperson you will eventually gain monetary rewards if you study and work your tail off to be the absolute best at what you do.

Different professions (and a little bit of luck don't hurt) will get you there at different times. I have met several people in my life whose only goal was to make money. Most of them either burnt out or tried to short circut the process by cutting corners. That only leads to loss of your integrity (priceless) or worse. Don't kid yourself, your colleagues, customers, coaches, boss, or spouse always can spot the phony who is out to cut corners to get ahead fast. Find your passion for what you like to do and strive to be the absolute best in the world at it. When you achieve recognized excellence, if you still want a Lambo (and your wife allows you to have one) I assure you that you will be able to afford one. :whip:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All these threads come in two flavors:

1. Woe is me, I really like Lambos, but I will never own one. I'm not lucky, life is too hard now, blah, blah, blah...

2. I'm so smart I am gonna be .... and I want money real bad so I can buy something spectacular and be cool.

The truth is that money will eventually come IF you are EXCELLENT at what you do. No matter if you become a doctor, ballarina, Indian chief, athlete, mechanic, or businessperson you will eventually gain monetary rewards if you study and work your tail off to be the absolute best at what you do.

Different professions (and a little bit of luck don't hurt) will get you there at different times. I have met several people in my life whose only goal was to make money. Most of them either burnt out or tried to short circut the process by cutting corners. That only leads to loss of your integrity (priceless) or worse. Don't kid yourself, your colleagues, customers, coaches, boss, or spouse always can spot the phony who is out to cut corners to get ahead fast. Find your passion for what you like to do and strive to be the absolute best in the world at it. When you achieve recognized excellence, if you still want a Lambo (and your wife allows you to have one) I assure you that you will be able to afford one. :whip:
I would have to say that I love that response. I guess my attitude just really have to change.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts