Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at a potential upgrade and for the first time noticed these weird tabs at the bottom of the door.

What the heck are they for?

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
12,301 Posts
I have wondered the same thing for years now and keep forgetting to ask anyone.

·
Registered
523 Posts
They are there to align the door better, which does add some rigidity too. The doors on our cars are really long and can benefit from that extra support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
Well, that's good to know. I always thought they were kind of ugly, glad to hear they serve a useful purpose.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are definitely a bit silly, but not quite as noticeable as I expected in person. I can live with it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
support /alignment
many brands use this method
Mclaren can benefit from these lol, my 570s and 675lt doors could never align correctly

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
On my Huracan they do fit into the slot but don’t seem to touch anything, can’t see the purpose.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Engineers didn’t put that there for nothing.
Remember every screw is has a cost for a manufacturer so they just didn’t do this because there is a cost
for them to do this...So if they could save a 1.00 they would not give to the buyer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I m sorry, but I never really reply on these forums. After reading these threads in regards to the funny looking hook on the bottom of the doors, it is the door switch which has a magnetic switch inside letting the computer know that the door is closed! It is not for alignment and or extra strength.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It's a latch that helps to keep the door in place in case of a crash. Without this the chance that the door could not be opened due to structural damage is higher that with this.

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
I have to admit we got some interesting answers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I m sorry, but I never really reply on these forums. After reading these threads in regards to the funny looking hook on the bottom of the doors, it is the door switch which has a magnetic switch inside letting the computer know that the door is closed! It is not for alignment and or extra strength.
Not sure I buy this, every car I've ever owned can tell which door is open, including my first car, a used Honda I got in 2003, are you telling me Honda figured this out 20 years ago but my Lamborghini needs a tab to tell if the door is open?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok guys I am going to put this to bed once and for all. I was wrong, so I called a Lamborghini parts supplier in Europe and here is what it is! It is a crash sensor in the door for the air bags. It is not a latch, because it does not latch to anything. Thanks
and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Weird. Still seems like it would be possible to have a less clunky “sensor” that knows whether a door is open for airbag purposes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts